Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Plymale
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron Henderson has an article in the set you can get on the Consim site that discusses running the Soviet infantry and cavalry as platoon's and squadrons. Anybody ever made these up? Ever done anything with them? It looks like it would be an interesting way to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Henderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did! That was a long time ago and I decided (1) it sort of "breaks" the feel of the game IMHO and (2) there are better ways to "get there". Mind you, it does work; the system I used breaks the Soviet companies down to platoons in a very satisfying and realistic manner IMHO. But my own opinion is that the Soviets should remain as companies in the game. (Note that I wrote a follow-up article on why that should be in the Zip file).

Since I sent that article into the Strategist fanzine, I've concentrated on providing Soviet early war units that better reflect their abilities during the 1940-42 years. The 3I4/8-1 (1939-40) company and the 3I4/10-1 (1941-42) company handle that nicely. The former is pretty much the off-the-street, poorly trained conscripts the Soviets used from time-to-time as necessary. The latter reflects a higher standard of training for their early war forces.

Additionally, the SMG units of the original game should not make early appearances in the OOBs. However there is an "early war" SMG company (4I3/6-1) on gregpanzerblitz.com that would occassionally show up in 1941. His TO&Es from this era are excellent as well.

Alan Arvold has also provide late war Soviet infantry (4I4/12-1) and Guards (5I5/13-1) that can be used as "better" early war (primarily mid-1942) infantry.

Overall the Soviet infantry companies break down, in general, as follows:

3I4/8-1 - conscripts, used primarily in 1939-40 scenarios but could appear at any time.
3I4/10-1 - regular infantry, used from 1941 to late 1942 (around Stalingrad).
5I4/16-1 - regular infantry, used from late 1942 to late 1944. Also for late war Mechanized infantry (which were kept as strong as possible even in the late war years).
4I4/12-1 - regular infantry, used for late war, under-manned standard infantry formations. Sometimes used for "better" mid-1942 infantry as well.
6I5/18-1 - regular Guards infantry
5I5/13-1 - late war, understrength Guards infantry (1944-45).
8I1/12-1 - SMG unit. Late 1942-45
4I1/6-1 - SMG unit. Early war, 1941-42. (gregpanzerblitz.com)
10I3/8-3 - Cavalry unit. 1942-45
6I3/4-3 - Cavalry unit. 1941-42 (gregpanzerblitz.com)
3I2/8-1 - Engineers. Should be very rare during the early war. Late 1942-45.

Obviously, players should mix-and-match based on the scenario needs. I also recommend using the CAAT rule (especially for early war scenarios) that is posted on CSW and here as well. This will allow the Germans to match up more realistically against the larger Soviet infantry companies by using Combined Arms (Assault) Tactics within the framework of the game rules. As a general rule, Soviet infantry/tank groups should not be allowed to use CAAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much. I made some of those up using the tank rending link that is on Consim. Kind of hit and miss as it does not have standard NATO symbolgy and I can't afford any of the programs I've found for making the counters.

Agree and highly recommend both Greg's and Wade's sites. I have cross checked Greg's OOB work and it a gold mine for doing scenario's.

I have the CAAT work you did and it looks like something that this system needs. I also have the sections you did on artillery and spotting and like that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Henderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Please feel free to post any feedback on their use. I think the artillery and spotting rules as well as the CAAT rule are good additions to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kochan
msg tools
Hello...

I understand wanting to keep the organizations as they are in the game. 'Tripling' the number of counters for the Russians could lead to some really large number of counters in some scenario's. However, I've always had a problem with the 'mixed' unit size of the game. You cannot perform many of the functions, operations and tactics in the game when mixed unit sizes are used. As the Russians used platoons and smaller units as their basic sub-units for deployment, this cannot be simulated at present of course.

To get a better idea of what I mean. Just imagine the reverse situation. Instead of the Russians having the largest unit organizations on the board, make the German counters battalions instead of platoons. Now imagine the Russian units having to conduct attacks against such larger units. I think we all can imagine how well that would work. Well, the same situation exists in the game now, but in reverse of course.

Of course, when you play against someone face to face, not pbm, its easy to have large numbers of counters. Especially if you can leave the game 'set-up' if you can't finish in one night. So, I guess my vote is for an 'apples to apples' game. Just my preference, as I like to see the interaction of the units as used in the 'real thing'. But, everyone gets to play the game according to their own preferences, which is as it should be.

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.