$10.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Small World Underground» Forums » Rules

Subject: questions: Small Worlds Undergrounds & Expansions Compatibility rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
msg tools
Hi.

I'm not sure whether this is the right section of the forums.

So, we picked up SMall Worlds Underground plus the other expansionat Essen, just without the original small worlds (the one on the surface).

We played several games, and some questions arised:
- in one of the boxes (I think "realms") were a bunch of relicts/place tokens, for which there is no explanation. I guess they are for stuff you make up yourself?

- where do you put those small black mountain thingies on? In the "undergrounds" manual it says "put them on the district with the symbol". I don't see any symbol there and it doesn't say what symbol. I don't know where to put them on the smaller realms parts either.

- what's up with those ghouls? A bunch of cards mention ghouls, but they seem to be part just of the original small words, and not underground, so I don't know what they do

- some parts of the game mention areas from the original small worlds, like meadows. Now in one rulebook is a short list of things you can treat as similar in such situations. Like, if you have a card mentioning forests, and play underground, take mushroom forests instead. Some cards though, like plains, are not mentioned at all.

- there are some cards mentioning mining symbols or something. But I don't see any of those on the undergrounds board or the realms board tiles.

- how do I know where to put mountain tops in? Do i just choose a roughly correct number, and place them where I want to?

Thanks for any help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: questions about Small Worlds
You might have better luck posting in the Small Worlds: Underground forums found here. Just scroll down to the forums section on the page and you may be able to find the answers to your questions if you go to the 'rules' subsection.

Best of luck finding your answers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: questions about Small Worlds
This thread can be moved to the SWU rules forum by an admin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: questions about Small Worlds
Orya wrote:
- in one of the boxes (I think "realms") were a bunch of relicts/place tokens, for which there is no explanation. I guess they are for stuff you make up yourself?
Picture would help for me.
Orya wrote:
- where do you put those small black mountain thingies on? In the "undergrounds" manual it says "put them on the district with the symbol". I don't see any symbol there and it doesn't say what symbol. I don't know where to put them on the smaller realms parts either.
Weird. I think the original game has symbols and I'm no Small world pro but I looked at the maps here on BGG but I can't see any either.

Anyway for the mountain it seem like you put them on the lavamountan/volcano things, like this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1010598/small-world-undergrou...
Orya wrote:
- what's up with those ghouls? A bunch of cards mention ghouls, but they seem to be part just of the original small words, and not underground, so I don't know what they do
What are the tiles called when you flip them over? Like if you go in decline and change race then you keep one of your old ones on each location but flip them over. Maybe those are called ghouls?
Orya wrote:
- some parts of the game mention areas from the original small worlds, like meadows. Now in one rulebook is a short list of things you can treat as similar in such situations. Like, if you have a card mentioning forests, and play underground, take mushroom forests instead. Some cards though, like plains, are not mentioned at all.
Are this of underground or a different expansion? I can see how one expansion might had been designed for the original game and hence have a little weird names for underground. I suppose there should be a list to get the comparable terrain though. Kinda stupid if there isn't. I don't see why they don't have any kind of plain icon on them, maybe there isn't icons for everything?

http://www.gamehead.com/article/1626/small-world-underground

"Right now when we get the itch to play some Small World, this is the game we’re going to. I mentioned mixing this game with the original before. You can do that by choosing if you’re going to play above ground or below and selecting races from the other side that have powers that will make sense in the new world. For example, if you’re playing above ground, the Shrooms race won’t make any sense because there aren’t any mushroom forests for them to occupy. And vice-versa, Humans won’t find any plains to farm underground."

Fail, so designed for above ground environments. What expansion is it? Hopefully some SW pro can sort it out
Orya wrote:
- there are some cards mentioning mining symbols or something. But I don't see any of those on the undergrounds board or the realms board tiles.
Regular game do have mines.

Seem like there should be mines:
"Small World: Underground - In late July 2011, Days of Wonder released the first standalone expansion to Small World titled "Small World: Underground". As with the initial release, this box contains a pair of double sided boards for use with 2, 3, 4 or 5 players, mountain tokens and a crown token turn marker. The theme of this expansion goes to an underground cavern full of muddy pits, mushroom forests, mystic crystal, chasms and mines. In addition the game adds 15 new races and 21 new special powers, as well as a new game element, Popular Places and Righteous Relics."

From Wikipedia. Or only as tokens you bring out?
Orya wrote:
- how do I know where to put mountain tops in? Do i just choose a roughly correct number, and place them where I want to?
Thanks for any help.
Put them on the black stuff with orange. I think

GL
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: questions about Small Worlds
PS: It would be nice to edit your OP's subject to something more specific and helpful for future people scanning the forum, e.g. "Questions about relics, mountains, ghouls, mining" or something.

Rules forums are too full of useless generic subjects like "questions about Game X", "couple of quick questions", etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: questions about Small Worlds
Aren't Ghouls one the original races from SW that you can still use after they've gone into decline?

If you haven't got any ghouls than ignore the cards that mention them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the Small World Underground forum.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
msg tools
Re: questions about Small Worlds
Thanks for the replies. I went several times through the list of forum sections, but saw nowhere something about "specific games" or something like that.

Here are some of the relics I was referring to:


I guess they are just for you making up stuff at random, before the game starts. But it was a bit confusing, when we searched the relic and places parts before the game started, then one guy uncovered one, and we couldn't find it in any rulebook. Then uncovered another one, and couldn't find it either.

Quote:
Anyway for the mountain it seem like you put them on the lavamountan/volcano things


Hmmm ok, confusing too. That the rulebook mentions symbols, without there being any (on Undergrounds) it seems. I guess we played it right then, just slapping the mountains on some lava or darker parts.

Quote:
Are this of underground or a different expansion? I can see how one expansion might had been designed for the original game and hence have a little weird names for underground.


Well, any of the expansions. We bought everything at Essen but the surface version, since it seems that the board wasn't necessary (after all, you can build your own boards with realms and in addition got the underground boards), and paying full price just for some races seemed to be too much. And the days of yonder guy said that the surface version ain't required. *shrugs*

I guess with mines, where in the surface version there were this icons, they are in underground just a country type.

Quote:
If you haven't got any ghouls than ignore the cards that mention them?


That's what we do. But it's a bit silly, if we were told that the expansions are 100% compatible when you have undergrounds instead of the surface version, and then we are like "this card refers to meadows: don't have them, skip. This card refers to ghouls: don't have them, skip." And so on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, the tokens in realms are for your own made scenarios.
2. I think only the Tales and Legends expansion is not exactly comatible with underground. I suggest to discard all cards mentioning map symbols, beacouse there are no symbols on the underground map. I don't know why, it was an interesting part of the original game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll use my chance for thread hi-jacking, a question that's...well...somewhat related! I'm thinking of buying Small World or Small World Underground. Our group has no experience on Small World and I don't know which one to choose. Why is Small World Underground more language dependent than the original Small World? We have people in our gaming group who aren't that good in english so that might be a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
Trento
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
Life is adventure or nothing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diffler wrote:
I'm thinking of buying Small World or Small World Underground. Our group has no experience on Small World and I don't know which one to choose. Why is Small World Underground more language dependent than the original Small World? We have people in our gaming group who aren't that good in english so that might be a problem.

I'd say Underground is more language dependent than Small World just because in Underground you have more things to read: it's not only races and special abilities as in the original game but Underground also has relics and popular places (both represented by different tokens), which means a couple more of pages and rules to read in the rulebook.

Anyhow, even though Underground isn't a bad game, I'd suggest you to go with the original Small World and in case to buy Underground later: in my opinion the original game is much more fun because it's simpler than Underground.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
Trento
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
Life is adventure or nothing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to add that in Small World's Files section you can find a Finnish translation of the rules and a couple of player aids while I'm unsure the same has been done for Underground.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diffler wrote:
I'll use my chance for thread hi-jacking, a question that's...well...somewhat related! I'm thinking of buying Small World or Small World Underground. Our group has no experience on Small World and I don't know which one to choose. Why is Small World Underground more language dependent than the original Small World? We have people in our gaming group who aren't that good in english so that might be a problem.


SWU has more rules dealing with artifacts and relics, and some of the powers themselves are a bit more text heavy. Given a choice pick regular Small World, especially if want to also buy expansions. I have both plus a lot of expansions, and I find SWU redundant and maybe trading it away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you! I think I'll buy Small World next then, well, after the Secret Santa season is over anyhow...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.