Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Epic Duels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about fights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dio nal
msg tools
Hi all, i am a new player. I have read the manual and i have one question.After you finish the attack, if the opponent does not move he can fight back, and then you dont move neither and the game finishes fast with one of the characters get destroyed early. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Deltanious wrote:
Am I missing something?

Two types of cards in hand, at least two characters, only two actions, limited cards, defending attacks, special abilities. A bunch - but yes the game can be quite fast; that's part of the appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game works like this:

1) The first player rolls the die and moves his guy(s).
2) The first player either picks one card or plays one card. If he plays an Attack # card, he holds it out face down and the second player can play a Defense # card in response. Then the Attack card is revealed and the defense # is subtracted, and the difference is the damage.
3) The first player can pick one card or play one card as above.
4) The second player rolls the die and moves his guy(s), etc.

If the defender keeps playing high defense cards, the game can go on for a while -- see what happens when Yoda fights the Emperor, for example.

If players don't draw cards, they will quickly run out... and once you are out of cards, the enemy starts hitting you with the big stuff. So sometimes, even if you desperately want to attack, you must take an action to draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dio nal
msg tools
Dan , I understand what you say. The thing i dont understand is that the manual says you dont have to move if you dont want. So even if you choose other actions than attack, the entire time are you adjacent to the enemy?? that makes the board useless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle W.
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now appearing in Jurassic World! (Not really)
badge
How Me Grimlock get geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the character(s) you're using.

Most of the Jedi and Sith need to be up close to make their attacks, so once they're there it doesn't do any good to move away. However, several of the other primary characters and all of the secondary characters have ranged weapons so it's generally in their best interests to keep their distance, which often requires a lot of moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
There are things you aren't considering.

For one, every character has one or two minor characters with him. There are characters that can apply damage from anywhere on the board and they will use their minor characters to block routes to them as long as possible.

Ranged characters will use minor characters to make melee paths longer and try and get into line of sight lanes - effectively making it so they can hit without being hit.

Some characters are more offensive and they may try and move around minor characters or their opponents might use them as a shield making them waste and attack or two on the minor characters,

And some characters have move cards which might let them move in, hit, then move away.

Of course there might be a time where two characters just slug it out, if both characters have offensive cards and defensive cards and think they have a better chance at surviving. Most of the time however, one of them is probably going to try to move away to draw cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.