$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
399 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: Aussie Year End Math(s) Trade 2012 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cancon [+] cancon2013 [+] [View All]
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aussie Year End Math Trade 2012 is now open. You do not have to be attending CanCon 2013 to take part in the trade, but it may help to reduce postage if you can find a games mule to take them for you and your target is attending.

Link for the trade here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/148789/the-australian-year...

All ad hoc posts in relation to the trade are welcome here.

Cheers!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. 2.5 months until the trade. I could die under the weight of all those extra games for 2.5 months. Someone should make me an offer :)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Wow. 2.5 months until the trade. I could die under the weight of all those extra games for 2.5 months. Someone should make me an offer

If you're after cash you could certainly accelerate the process by putting in some numbers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srand wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
Wow. 2.5 months until the trade. I could die under the weight of all those extra games for 2.5 months. Someone should make me an offer :)

If you're after cash you could certainly accelerate the process by putting in some numbers...

Cash would be at trade-prices, including potential postage to WA. Beforehand, better things could be worked out.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Cash would be at trade-prices, including potential postage to WA. Beforehand, better things could be worked out.

Stern warnings in the geeklist header aside, I was seriously considering adding two lines to every listing:

* $X - buy it now (you pay postage)
* $Y - cash accepted in trade (postage factored in)

But it sounds like too much work or they would already be in the marketplace. shake

Edit: Also, even the trade-prices would be indicative of what you might accept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade prices updated. People should totally jump in and take some of these off my hands, saving lots on shipping! My goal is to get a bunch of stuff played over the next couple of months and be able to add more unusual items to the trade.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
The Aussie Year End Math Trade 2012 is now open. You do not have to be attending CanCon 2013 to take part in the trade, but it may help to reduce postage if you can find a games mule to take them for you and your target is attending.

Link for the trade here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/148789/the-australian-year...

All ad hoc posts in relation to the trade are welcome here.

Cheers!
cool

I think I'd consider this an adhoc comment: What the heck is a math-trade?
I read the big opening speel and even alot of the comments and then this other thread.

What I think I know is this?
There's lots of games.
People are going to Can-con in 2013.
Some people are going to trade games for money.
Others are going to trade games for games.

weird!! please explain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
weird!! please explain!

There's a good explanation here: Math trade guide

The short version is that it can be hard to find direct trades (I give you a game you want and you give me one I want in exchange), so the maths trade is a way to arrange three-way or four-way or n-way trades -- I give you a game, you give Bob a game, Bob gives me a game.

Basically, all the games go in a big pool, we all submit lists that say, "in exchange for my copy of Village I would accept X, Y or Z" and the software works out how to arrange the maximum number of trades. It's also possible to set cash prices and make cash offers.

You can never receive a game you don't specifically ask for, so it's pretty much zero-risk and everyone wins.

The trade is run to coincide with Cancon to save on shipping. A lot of the games will be exchanged there because there are so many interstate visitors. (That is not a requirement for participation, though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Please can we discuss deletion of items here, rather than on the list as we've been doing? MooseHead said it well, so let me reiterate it badly. If you use mr_lunch's web tool to build your list, you don't actually need to write down numbers. The way it worked for me last time, whenever I decided I would accept a game from the list I'd mark it as "want in trade". Then when I went to visit mr_lunch, it would tell me which items from the list I wanted. Inevitably there were some which I'd marked as "want in trade" which I didn't really want any more, so I unmarked them. Rinse and repeat until mr_lunch starts making sense, and then cut and paste the list.

I noticed that since mr_lunch and thepackrat have been producing these tools, my job of fixing all the errors has been much easier. Last trade there was a bit of a cock-up as some codes were changed after they were added, and the people who'd used the wrong ones felt no particular compulsion to go back and fix it. So let's not do that this time. Other than that the main errors were people using completely fictional codes which just can't happen if you use the tools.

On another note, last trade I was waiting to publish the results because I hadn't received a want list from one user. Not any of the Neils. I sent the user a couple of geekmails, but I have NEVER heard back. This time, after the deadline for submitting want lists has passed, I'll run the trade and post the results when I'm sick of waiting for people to get back to me, which will be sooner than last time. Almost of all us play super-fair, and we're all very compassionate, but the deadlines need to be respected. At the very least, if you're going to miss a deadline, let the relevant person (me, mr_lunch or Amiguero) know in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not have items deleted. Not only does it risk me losing my exclusive page 2, it will mean there isn't any easy way to see just how many games left early.

Plus, unless there's a pressing reason, let's keep the rules the same to avoid confusion.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated tool Links - EOY Maths Trade
Updated links to tools that may help:
1 Geeklist View offers a quick method of looking over the data in the maths trade geeklist.

2 GL List Only gives a list of all items on one page along with checkboxes to quickly highlight stuff you're interested in.

+altname+ Reality Always Needs Dimpled Yaks -altname-
If this was the 123rd game on the list, its code would be 0123-RANDY

Anything between the +altname+ and the -altname- is used to generate the trade code instead of the original name. This option allows them to have a meaningful name in the GL List.

3 BGG Aussie maths-trade verifier online verifier courtesy of some rat like creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Plus, unless there's a pressing reason, let's keep the rules the same to avoid confusion.

Actually, I wanted to clarify what deadlines are. If the rules say:

* users will do X by A
* administrators will then do Y by B

what happens in the time between A and B? Well, last time I acted as if the deadline for doing X was B, because that was possible. However now I'm saying that some time between A and B you'd better have done X because I'll do Y and then it will be too late. If the difference between A and B is 2 days, and what I need to do takes 5 minutes, the rules do not require me to wait.

Also we should definitely change the geeklist sorting so you lose your exclusive page 2... but that's just malice on my part. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Do we allow deleting of entries ?
This time round, instructions included the note that deleting would be allowed though this has been strongly frowned upon in the past.
Deletions ?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
No = It makes it easy to track numbers
20.0% 6
Yes = Numbers don't matter if you use the tools
60.0% 18
Dont Care
20.0% 6
Voters 30
This poll is now closed.   30 answers
Poll created by Moose_Head
Closes: Sat Dec 1, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Please can we discuss deletion of items here, rather than on the list as we've been doing? MooseHead said it well, so let me reiterate it badly. If you use mr_lunch's web tool to build your list, you don't actually need to write down numbers. The way it worked for me last time, whenever I decided I would accept a game from the list I'd mark it as "want in trade". Then when I went to visit mr_lunch, it would tell me which items from the list I wanted. Inevitably there were some which I'd marked as "want in trade" which I didn't really want any more, so I unmarked them. Rinse and repeat until mr_lunch starts making sense, and then cut and paste the list.

I noticed that since mr_lunch and thepackrat have been producing these tools, my job of fixing all the errors has been much easier. Last trade there was a bit of a cock-up as some codes were changed after they were added, and the people who'd used the wrong ones felt no particular compulsion to go back and fix it. So let's not do that this time. Other than that the main errors were people using completely fictional codes which just can't happen if you use the tools.

On another note, last trade I was waiting to publish the results because I hadn't received a want list from one user. Not any of the Neils. I sent the user a couple of geekmails, but I have NEVER heard back. This time, after the deadline for submitting want lists has passed, I'll run the trade and post the results when I'm sick of waiting for people to get back to me, which will be sooner than last time. Almost of all us play super-fair, and we're all very compassionate, but the deadlines need to be respected. At the very least, if you're going to miss a deadline, let the relevant person (me, mr_lunch or Amiguero) know in advance.

I'm fine to amend the header to indicate no deletion of the items. I guess having a clean list would be nice, but we are not yet ready for that.

I strongly agree with your comments about the deadlines. This time we have plenty of time, so don't ask for extra time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Australia
Hornsby
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do we have to answer the poll about item deletion?

Can I have extra time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earlyworm wrote:
How long do we have to answer the poll about item deletion?

Can I have extra time?
Poll closes 01-Dec-12.

No extra time, even if your name

starts with NE ....... and ends in IL ..... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to chime in quickly, we're looking at doing away with the pretty codes this time around. Every geeklist item has its own unique ID anyway. You can see this number by clicking on the item's number or its "Posted" date and looking at the URL. If you don't want to have to type them in or write them down, go to

BGG Trade Tools

...and just click the Save CSV option. The geeklist is not currently cached and updated automatically. I'll sort a cron when I have squished some bugs.

Although we probably won't need the spiffy +altname+ thing mentioned above, there's a good chance the code I tested last time for versions might make it in. Not required, but if you add
+version+ 12345 -version-
...where 12345 is the version ID (again, check the URL), we can try to recognise it and link it.

Also hoping to have a nice sorting tools if you like the GUI options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
Just to chime in quickly, we're looking at doing away with the pretty codes this time around. Every geeklist item has its own unique ID anyway. You can see this number by clicking on the item's number or its "Posted" date and looking at the URL. If you don't want to have to type them in or write them down, go to

Please don't do this. It will make it impossible to eyeball a wantlist and figure out what's happening and additionally make it impossible to have a second chance to fix errors because of the redundant information.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, we're looking to make this more streamlined and accurate. Would people be happy with getting the codes from the Trade Tool instead of them being entered on the geeklist? There were something like 690 entries last time. Even with the automation coded in at the time, it was a bit tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
Well, we're looking to make this more streamlined and accurate. Would people be happy with getting the codes from the Trade Tool instead of them being entered on the geeklist? There were something like 690 entries last time. Even with the automation coded in at the time, it was a bit tedious.

It would be really _really_ nice if people didn't have to switch between pages when they were looking for the codes. Particularly when there are N runebounds, but only one comes with a mint crocodile pool party as a sweetener.

I would foresee that sort of switching would lead to some really bad mistakes and general bitterness.

How automated were you able to make it?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codes = Automated posting into geeklist
mr_lunch wrote:
Want the codes posted and thought you suggested last time you could get your tools to do that, which is why I suggested no manual setting of pages and pages of codes so as to overcome the changing and erroneous codes we had last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Root
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When accessing the list only view in mr_lunch's tool I'm only seeing 173 items. What gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thiessi wrote:
When accessing the list only view in mr_lunch's tool I'm only seeing 173 items. What gives?

This:

mr_lunch wrote:
The geeklist is not currently cached and updated automatically. I'll sort a cron when I have squished some bugs.

Working on some new features whenever I have spare time (which isn't often at the moment). I would suggest to folks that they avoid using the Trade Tool to add and save items at the moment... just in case. The format can and probably will change.

Some handy pointers
The easiest way to see multiples of the same item is to click/touch the column headers to sort by name.
If you spot a game in the list that you want, thumb the item. Thumbs will show in the Trade Tools (when the cache has been manually updated -- see above)
If you don't want to telegraph your intentions to all and sundry, then add the game to your want-in-trade or wishlists here on BGG. These are also sortable columns in the Trade Tools.
If you prefer to do things in a more manual manner, then there's a Save CSV button at the top left of the table. This will give you a comma separated values file that you can open in OpenOffice Calc, or some lesser spreadsheet

I will be posting the codes to the geeklist, but the above methods will be much less prone to errors than writing things down. I'm sure you can all copy and paste at the very least! The codes will likely have longer numbers than the last trade as well as the 5 character descriptive letters. This will allow folks to look up the exact item should they choose to, as well as have a hint as to what it was with the acronym-ish-thingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Let's not have items deleted. Not only does it risk me losing my exclusive page 2, it will mean there isn't any easy way to see just how many games left early.

ninja

Sorry Bruce, mr_lunch wanted to see if the trade tools worked if an item was deleted and Village (from page one) was the candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*snif*

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.