$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
399 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: Aussie Year End Math(s) Trade 2012 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cancon [+] cancon2013 [+] [View All]
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This time it would be good try and delete items no longer available before the codes are listed. I know it may be not a popular choice, but sometimes it is required to improve and facilitate the way we do things.

I will update this on the header of the trade at a later date if my MT peers give the green light.

In the mean time, I suggest if you would like to maintain your item location on the list, modify the entry with a new offering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too late for that :( I"d have posted him something to replace village with if only he'd held off.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BwaHaHaHaaa! Er... I mean, Sorry, Bruce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't want to be flagged as a spammer, so could people from other territories/states post in their corresponding forums that the MT is now open?

There are a few fellow BGG users that don't know it is already happening.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Aussie Year End Math(s) Trade 2012 - Advertising other than BGG
Amiguero wrote:

I don't want to be flagged as a spammer, so could people from other territories/states post in their corresponding forums that the MT is now open?

There are a few fellow BGG users that don't know it is already happening.

Thanks!
If you want to go Australia wide for interest then post at:
BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia.

As for Vic, we have already covered MelbourneGamers and other environments directly. You can't spoon feed everything and if they are genuiinely interested they would be subscribed at the appropriate levels of enthusiasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose_Head wrote:

I don't think you can post directly there anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_pirate wrote:
Moose_Head wrote:
I don't think you can post directly there any more.
Sadly, you are correct, most bizarre. Even more bizarre, you can't subscribe to the Australia node to get everything below it except with RSS. Couldn't even manually tweak it.

That is why it appears as SPAM when you post in them all is that many of us some time ago set subscription to all of the sub-domains (State/Territory) so they could see what was happening wherever. Nonetheless, there is no need for multi forum postings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Bomaderry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to post a thank you to all the organisers and participants.

I have scored copies of all three games I was wanting to trade for and moved on some other games as well - so a great success as far as I am concerned personnally.

I am guessing that the intention is to add games into a pool so that the math part of the trade can work and all these early trades/sales are not exactly what is intended - but the outcome for me at least has certainly been great and hopefully also for those I have traded with.

Again, thanks very much for all the organising and participation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hang on? It is not over yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garypgary wrote:
Just wanted to post a thank you to all the organisers and participants.

I have scored copies of all three games I was wanting to trade for and moved on some other games as well - so a great success as far as I am concerned personnally.

I am guessing that the intention is to add games into a pool so that the math part of the trade can work and all these early trades/sales are not exactly what is intended - but the outcome for me at least has certainly been great and hopefully also for those I have traded with.

Again, thanks very much for all the organising and participation.

Yeah, you haven't taken anything from me yet. Hop to it!

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Martin
Australia
Dimboola
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

Hang on? It is not over yet.

whoa... yeah lets slow down! I haven't even gotten my trades up yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Bomaderry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I know it is ongoing - I added another item today!

Just wanted to post an interim thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Update 1 added to the header list of the math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

Update 1 added to the header list of the math trade.

I doubt I'm among the list of people with lots of deleted items anymore. You should post some statistics :)

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Bomaderry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the final trading/matching process is there any valuation done between lots or is it just a simple one-for-one match up - for example I have a Defenders of the Realm bundle listed (retail from Milsims for around $240 - if I advise that I want someone's game that retails for $50 (say) and the math works out is that it - I swap a $240 bundle for a $50 lot?

Can anyone advise how this bit works. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garypgary wrote:
So in the final trading/matching process is there any valuation done between lots or is it just a simple one-for-one match up - for example I have a Defenders of the Realm bundle listed (retail from Milsims for around $240 - if I advise that I want someone's game that retails for $50 (say) and the math works out is that it - I swap a $240 bundle for a $50 lot?

The trades are strictly 1:1, which makes very valuable lots a bit of a mixed thing.

You can specify a list of things that you would like in exchange and you may possibly get exactly one of those for it, or perhaps it won't trade at all. You can also specify a money amount. There's no way to get multiple lots for your one lot, which is why breaking up big lots might be the sensible approach.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garypgary wrote:

As noted by Bruce, it's 1:1. For each of your items ("lots"), you will specify a "want list". The good news is, you won't trade an item for something that's not on the want list for that item; so the valuation, such as it is, is entirely in your own hands.

The possibility of loops means that it's quite possible for you (or anyone) to get a "good deal", like the time I got a near-new copy of Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ? for about $20 - but that usually takes a lot of on-the-way trades, akin to trading a paperclip into a Ferrari, or whatever. What can't happen, is someone giving you something you don't ask for, in exchange for one of your lots.

I've found that large lots can work if there's something similarly "large"/"valuable" that I want. If all my wants are small, then it makes sense to just offer small lots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Bomaderry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that - all clear.

So if I want to leave the Defenders bundle as is I can specify only items that i think are close'ish in value specifically for my Defenders bundle.

Or, can I leave it as a bundle with a cash amount specified - but adjusted to cover post (to Perth even) if necessary - sort of pushes the price up unnecessarily for someone going to Cancon though. Perhapse I can specify the price as being if posted and also offer a refund if picked up at Cancon - I am sure if I tape some cash to the box it will get to the person involved.

Thanks for the clarification and all the effort guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chu
Australia
Nedlands
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That won't work because maths trade can result in a trade loop. So the person who paid you the money might not be the person receiving the game. You maybe able to offer refund to the person paying you, but then the person paying you might be receiving something else that he thinks is worth the amount he's paying anyway.

If its a direct trade maybe possible. But I won't bank on it because I think the algorithm is designed to maximise trades.

And the maths trade doesn't have multiple options, so you cannot do (if a then $b, if c then $d).

But then there aren't that many of us from perth anyway. And then there's always the flat rate box too, which is fairly cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garypgary wrote:
Thanks for that - all clear.

So if I want to leave the Defenders bundle as is I can specify only items that i think are close'ish in value specifically for my Defenders bundle.

Or, can I leave it as a bundle with a cash amount specified - but adjusted to cover post (to Perth even) if necessary - sort of pushes the price up unnecessarily for someone going to Cancon though. Perhapse I can specify the price as being if posted and also offer a refund if picked up at Cancon - I am sure if I tape some cash to the box it will get to the person involved.

Thanks for the clarification and all the effort guys.

Another option would be to find the people who are interested in your game and see if you can organise larger pre-trade groups of games in trade. Tricky, but you are somewhat of an edge case.

In other news, more people should make me pre-trade offers :P

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Bomaderry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My goodness the post is a killer - just posted a couple of things off and the cost is through the roof - particularly interstate - it is really not viable to send out stuff unless you are an ebay trader with an Aus Post account.

I know you can use those prepaid bag thingies but for us internet challenged, annal retentive packaging freaks, who insist on taking it to the post office and registering the box - it is just not workable any more, at all, period.

So basically I guess this means that I cannot actually participate in the final trade as I am committing to send out the game to whoever, wherever - which could see a significant cost added on. I guess that I am still better off to get something for an unwanted game rather than have it sit around gathering dust and shelf wear, but by the time you wrap and cart the stuff to the post office it is getting quite marginal at best.

Note to self - be more selective with what you buy.

So if anyone is interested in any of my remaining items please get in touch and we can see if we can make a deal which includes a pick up at Cancon.

I will be adding my remaining lots to the Bring-buy-sell at Cancon which is being run by the MOAB boys this year so will be much better organised. Last year the Cancon bbs appeared quite chaotic. This year it will have a better home and the MOAB guys have run a very successful stall for many years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
garypgary wrote:
I know you can use those prepaid bag thingies but for us internet challenged, annal retentive packaging freaks, who insist on taking it to the post office and registering the box - it is just not workable any more, at all, period.

The bags aren't great for games but do you know about the flat rate boxes?

You use clickandsend.com.au to print out the label at home, then take it to the post office to lodge (so you still get proof of lodgement) and tracking is included. Most games fit in a Bx4 box, which costs $13.25 to ship Australia-wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Bomaderry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds a little more reasonable - i just paid over $20 to ship a game to Adelaide - if you are trying to land the game with the buyer around the 65% of Milsims price (which seems very reasonable to me for a "not new" game in as new condition) it means that you can be getting barely 25-35% of the original cost of the game with Aus Post taking about the same share.

I have sold quite a few games on bgg in the past but the post rates have steadily increased such that it is really much more economical to trade the games at a Cancon style event even allowing for the higher commissions that these events take - Moab and Leviathan are not that boardgame oriented but Cancon has a tradition of boardgames so it is definitely the best opportunity for a swap meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie Year End Math(s) Trade 2012 - AusPost Click and Send details
The cheapest way to send packages around the country is to use the Auspost Click and send. It is fixed price anywhere in the country, even Perth. That way your games will arrive in tip top shape. You even get free tracking along the way. You will need to register and use appropriate promotion codes. Satchels and bubble wrap is an unacceptable way to ship games and for anyone who prides themselves in keeping games in best condition. Why consider substandard shipping when it is more expensive.

Flat Rate boxes purchased at any Australia Post outlet for weight up to 15kg.

Box Width Depth Height Post Cost Box Cost C&S Code
Bx1 220mm 160mm 77mm $6.50 $1.70 00069
Bx2 310mm 225mm 102mm $10.50 $2.25 00076
Bx4 430mm 305mm 140mm $13.25 $3.00 00090
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
garypgary wrote:
So in the final trading/matching process is there any valuation done between lots or is it just a simple one-for-one match up

Gary, I've considered that sort of trade but it's mathematically and socially tricky. When you're making your want lists you should just consider "would I give this to get that?" Trying to assess worth of lots is subjective and just too much hard work. Someone might give Roads and Boats to get Liar's Dice, just because that's what they want. As for postage costs, yes they're a pain, I do a lot of posting and try to pretend it's Monopoly money I'm giving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.