Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.

We just bought this game and love it. We had two questions come up though.

1. Towards the end of the game, when there is only a few letters left, someone came up with a word with two V's in it. Do we have to spell the entire word out loud correctly when the only letter left on the board that is in the word is the V? Or can we just move the V?

2. When spelling a word, if I make a spelling mistake that involves letters not on the board, does my turn end there? eg I spell "peice" not "piece". Do I only get the P or can I still claim the C?

I think in both cases you need to spell the entire word correctly, is that right?

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Winter Osterhaus
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. different players tend to play these differently, but here's what we (at Out of the Box) recommend and how I play with my family:

1. At that point, spelling out doesn't really matter, so most people do not care if you just move the V twice. But you'd be surprised how often people will forget a third letter that is also in that world as they are so excited to move the V twice, so some diligence in the sequencing is advised.

2. We are only strict about the letters actually moved. That is one of the main reasons that the vowels are not in the game: most people have much more trouble spelling with the vowels!

The main reason of the sequencing rules is for everyone to be able to visibly verify the selection and that each of those letters is in the word. And also if there is time constraint it is important that the letters are moved in order; it very much helps avoid confusion.

good questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments Max, I really appreciate it.

Yes we did find people missing letters in their excitement. It is really hard to sit on the opposing side and watch them do it and not point it out.

So best not to take the spelling toooo seriously. I think we'll go for getting what is right on the board and not worry to much about the rest.

Thanks again. It's a fun game. And it is amazing how fast the 30 seconds goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.