Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ty Wyman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost as Frederick again yesterday (two straight now). My daughter played Elizabeth and Pompadour, while her friend took Maria (in his maiden session).

I opened aggressively punching von Lothringen in spades south of Dresden; even Lehwaldt initiated attack, on Fermor at Osterode. Such an opening carries a risk of quick defeat, if an enemy has drawn well in the chosen suit. I survived their counterattacks, however, and fate smiled on me; Sweden quit after Turn 7 and France lost India after Turn 8.

Russia pressed its attack on the Prussian homeland. I threatened supply and caught a break when rot hit the Russian grain silos, but could not score a kill. I fired better keeping the Austrian front under control. Der alte Fritz himself flanked their left to knock out a key supply train at Friedland. Though it did not kill any armies, the Austrian offensive on Breslau was delayed.

Cumberland and Winterfeldt harrassed Hildburghausen and French supply, delaying the latter's offensive on Madgeburg. This allowed me to devote a few Hearts (in addition to a passel of Diamonds) to armies lost early in the war. By Turn 12, though its early attack strategy had thinned its TC pile greatly, I considered Prussia's odds good. France was out of the game, leaving me to defend only 2 major fronts plus the HRE. Fate quickly changed, however, as Bute and Poems arose on the next two turns.

So, we entered Turn 14 with only one significant fate card left. I devoted all of my resources to defending the heartland, but there was to be no miracle for this House of Brandenburg. As the Tsarina clung to life, I accepted death, vanquished on Turn 19 at Neudamm.

Yet another fantastic session of this game; swings of fortune and the winner very much in doubt to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.