Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many others we felt that the LOS and movement lead to a number of unnatural and unsatisfactory results. We therefore came up with the following simple adaptation to the rules.

A) LOS exists between two spaces if it is possible to draw a straight line from any point inside the attackers square to any point inside the target square. The border edge of a square is not considered to be inside the square.

B) The blackened edges of the tiles, that cover the sides and corners of squares, now block both LOS and movement.

Results:
1) It is no longer possible to shoot around corners and walls.
2) There are no blind spots where it was possible to lose LOS simply because the target was blocking itself from being hit (by hiding the back corner that was needed for LOS).
3) It is no longer possible to squeeze past an enemy figure and the corner of the wall.
4) It is no longer possible to target an enemy on the opposite diagonal of a blocked space.
5) It is no longer possible to target an enemy on the opposite side of a wall no matter how far away the figures are from the wall.

Doing away with all these anomalies in the RAW, has enriched our experience of an otherwise great game and added more strategy and opportunities to block both LOS and movement.

EDIT 3 Nov.
After several more plays, I confirm our preference for the LOS variant as described in point 'A'.

However, given that many of the Quests appear to be designed to favour a rushing strategy, I think it safest to play without the second part of this variant that is point 'B'. Namely that corners and the edge of internal walls do not block diagonal movement in doorways etc. I have therefore used strikeout to remove these parts and their effect.

Besides, the first rule in this variant is enough to fix most of the situations that were odd in RAW, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My main concern with this "enrichment" is that providing opportunities to block LOS and movement can potentially slow the game down considerably. Some people want that, and that's fine, but I think for me one of the good things about this is that it's not a huge undertaking to play the game like the first edition is. Are you finding that this variant forces combat where it was previously not necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regényi Mátyás
Hungary
Sopron
Győr-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:

5) It is no longer possible to target an enemy on the opposite side of a wall no matter how far away the figures are from the wall.

I do not understand this one. You cannot target an enemy on the opposite side of a wall! Walls block line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Are you finding that this variant forces combat where it was previously not necessary?

This has not been a significant problem. Of the 5 issues that I mentioned with RAW, points 1, 4 and 5 actually result in fewer battles.

Only Points 2 and 3 potentially result in more battles than normal. Point 2 was rare. Point 3 however does make it easier to block the passage of an enemy in the opening of a doorway or the angle of a corner. While this does prevent players racing past the enemy, in certain circumstances, we have not noticed the games taking longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Steve99 wrote:

I do not understand this one. You cannot target an enemy on the opposite side of a wall! Walls block line of sight.

This has been discussed at length in other threads. For example:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/841561/official-response...

With the RAW, figures that were either side of an internal wall still had LOS, if the wall ended at one of the intersections, even though the graphic of a solid wall was in between them. This issue was excepted in the FAQ but the wording has still left it open for enemies to have LOS when they take one step back from the solid wall, even though the wall appears to be still between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After several more plays, I confirm our preference for the LOS variant as described in point 1.

However, given that many of the Quests appear to be designed to favour a rushing strategy, I think it best to play without the second part of this variant. Namely that corners and the edge of internal walls do not block diagonal movement in doorways etc.

The first rule in this variant is enough to fix most of the situations that were odd in RAW, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.