Subject: OK, seriously, bad clip-art instead of Klemens Franz again???!?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get this- several decks, including large ones (WC for example) and regional ones (CZ for example) have already been released and they all had the outstanding, whimsical, consistent art by Klemens Franz. Then the debacle of the NL deck with it's shoddy/crappy clip-art. Now this is happening again with the Belgium deck? WTF? It would appear that a very few of the cards have the classic artwork, but the majority again look like crap- what's the plan here? Why not utilize the talent (Franz) available? Is it budget and/or time constraints? If so, please feel free to charge me more and/or make me wait longer, believe me the quality artwork is worth it. Was there not enough negative feedback from the NL deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon the art was already in place for the Belgium deck before the comments on the NL deck started filtering through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
4Corners wrote:
I don't get this- several decks, including large ones (WC for example) and regional ones (CZ for example) have already been released and they all had the outstanding, whimsical, consistent art by Klemens Franz. Then the debacle of the NL deck with it's shoddy/crappy clip-art. Now this is happening again with the Belgium deck? WTF? It would appear that a very few of the cards have the classic artwork, but the majority again look like crap- what's the plan here? Why not utilize the talent (Franz) available? Is it budget and/or time constraints? If so, please feel free to charge me more and/or make me wait longer, believe me the quality artwork is worth it. Was there not enough negative feedback from the NL deck?

Actually, when looking through *my* copy of the Belgium deck, I see no "clip-art" at all. Most of the cards acutally have real *classic* artwork - the name of the painter listed in ALL CAPS under the card name, like Peter Paul Rubens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Paul_Rubens).
If there's an actual person depicted on the cards, like Jean-Claude van Damme, Klemens Franz (who was art director on this project) used actual photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well clip-art is an exaggeration but it's not the usual artistic style of the E, K, I, Z, Cz, WC, G, O decks, which I don't get. The artwork on those decks was GREAT, the artwork on the FL and NL decks isn't original, isn't consistent with the previous decks, and imo is horrible (note that I do not pretend to be a connoisseur of art).

Very curious as to the decision making process here, seems like you had a great thing going and made a 90 degree turn somewhere with the art decisions. BTW I LOVE all things Agricola, so I will still buy it but it's more for completion than enjoyment purposes with that art (and yes I'm surprised myself at how much it makes a difference- my wife, family, and other who I play this game with have a universal "this art sucks" view of the NL deck whereas they enjoy the other art).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I am usually a huge critic when art actually sucks, but NL deck has fine art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
4Corners wrote:
Well clip-art is an exaggeration but it's not the usual artistic style of the E, K, I, Z, Cz, WC, G, O decks, which I don't get. The artwork on those decks was GREAT, the artwork on the FL and NL decks isn't original, isn't consistent with the previous decks, and imo is horrible (note that I do not pretend to be a connoisseur of art).

Very curious as to the decision making process here, seems like you had a great thing going and made a 90 degree turn somewhere with the art decisions. BTW I LOVE all things Agricola, so I will still buy it but it's more for completion than enjoyment purposes with that art (and yes I'm surprised myself at how much it makes a difference- my wife, family, and other who I play this game with have a universal "this art sucks" view of the NL deck whereas they enjoy the other art).

I agree with Josh and am one of those who regretted my purchase of the NL deck. Not only was it imbalanced, I also dislike the inconsistency of artwork with those from the base game by Klemens Franz.

We like to play Agricola with all the decks mixed together, and we currently have the base game, Z, O, Cz, G, WM and NL decks. We have since removed the NL deck totally from our plays.

I am not getting the Belgium deck, nor the country themed decks planned for the next couple of years (I understand there are plans for the France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark decks in the next few years) unless the artwork is returned to the great work by Klemens Franz and the decks are balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woof... I understand everyone's feelings on the change in art direction. I don't love it either, but most are okay. There are some cards that I have outright removed from my deck, without regarding how they functioned at all, because of the images.

Though, I am not going to purge my entire NL deck (or later, FL/WA decks) based on their art styles.

Summary:
Old photos (NL007, NL039, etc) are out.
Pretty paintings (NL015, NL019, etc) are A-OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
(I understand there are plans for the France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark decks in the next few years) .

!! May I ask how you heard of these plans? I ask only because I would very much look forward to both a French and Swiss themed deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockpunk wrote:
!! May I ask how you heard of these plans? I ask only because I would very much look forward to both a French and Swiss themed deck.

Read this thread from play-agricola.com. It is roughly halfway down the first page:

http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=3044.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the link - very interesting read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.