Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reread another rules thread about it and I understand why the rules were written as they were... but does it officially matter if you urbanize before or after track laying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I reread another rules thread about it and I understand why the rules were written as they were... but does it officially matter if you urbanize before or after track laying?

I'm pretty sure you can do it any time during your track-laying phase, but it's usually a way to effectively lay a fourth tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Golux13 wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can do it any time during your track-laying phase, but it's usually a way to effectively lay a fourth tile.

I'm certain of it. You can urbanize at any point in your track-building turn. Shoot, you can even choose not to urbanize, which can sometimes be in your best interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks.

I asked because the third edition rules said that it happened before track laying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that it matters. I'm having a hard time coming up with any negative repercussions enforcing an Urbanization before your build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
My published maps assume optional order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a map tweaks things such that, for example, all your builds must be contiguous, it would make a difference since you couldn't urbanize a city away from your network and start building from it. But for the basic rules, it shouldn't make a difference. However, enforcing urb before build might be good for beginners so that they don't forget they could urbanize away someones track stub (from a town) and start building from the new city. So if you have to choose one or the other, I'd choose "urb first then build track" over "urb before/during/after track builds" (plus, it's simpler to say/explain/write!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
If a map tweaks things such that, for example, all your builds must be contiguous, it would make a difference since you couldn't urbanize a city away from your network and start building from it.

So what's the "negative [repercussion for] enforcing an Urbanization before [a] build"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some maps (eg London) require that towns be built before they can be urbanised. Requiring the urbanisation first would preclude building and urbanising a town as part of the same track build. Similarly, Sun's urbanisation moves cities to other (uncoloured) city locations which might have been built during that turn by the player. Other maps require that all of a players track is contiguous (West US?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Other maps require that all of a players track is contiguous (West US?).

(snip good examples) I don't follow how that would hinder someone if they were obliged to urbanize first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
It matters if Urbanisation is considered a track-build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since when was urbanisation a track build?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.