8 Posts

Cyclades» Forums » Sessions

Subject: DON'T make fun of the Amazons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim DeForest
msg tools
mbmb
Played this for the first time with five players and loved it.

All the players were guys. When we were picking colors, another player took Red (the Amazons) and I refered to them as "gals" when I was handing him his pieces. Someone remarked that real Amazons would probably object to being called "gals."

This set me off to make old-fashioned sexist remarks about the Amazons during the game (everyone there knows me well enough to know I was kidding, so it we were all having fun with this.) So I'd come out with remarks like "the gals better not invade my island--one of them might break a nail."

The game progressed with one player getting his income up to 8 gold per turn and high-bidding on Zeus several times, giving him enough priests to allow him a fair chance of outbidding us on whatever God we wanted.

But another player was bidding just on Athena (defaulting to Apollo whenever he couldn't get Athena), quietly building up enough Philosophers to get a Metropolis, then starting to collect more Philosophers. Since we were all brand-new at this game, none of the rest of us were paying proper attention to this at first and he was soon on the verge of winning.

But the Amazon player was doing well also, getting one Metropolis (also via Philosophers) and needing only a temple to get the second and win.

Well, by golly, I could put a stop to that, since I had an army of five soldiers able to invade and capture his existing Metropolis. He only had three armies to defend.

So I made a remark about winning easy because the gals were having a bad hair day, then launched my invasion.

When Irony drops an anvil on you, it's always a big anvil. I rolled a 0 three times in a row, while he rolled a 3 each time. My greatly diminished and embarrassed army retreated, while one of the players suggested the last thing we heard before running away was "Capture the wounded for breeding stock!"

The Amazon player gets his second Metropolis right after that, giving him the win.

Darn girls. :cry:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the amazons are green, not red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DeForest
msg tools
mbmb
Lugburz wrote:

They're red in the set I have. Could this vary from box to box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalel21 wrote:
Lugburz wrote:

Yep, it does vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalel21 wrote:
Lugburz wrote:

My red minis are represented by spear men. Trust me, after dipping them all in hot water to straighten said spears, I got to become intimately familiar with their design

Perhaps you're right — maybe they differ from edition to edition? It wouldn't matter as the colors themselves are inconsequential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ugh. I own this game and have yet to break it out, but that annoys the hell outta me. Losing because of dice rolls. While he neglects his army due to inexperience, you suffer because of dice rolls.

Irks the hell outta me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Obviously there exists a sprue with 5 different warriors and 5 different boats. All games are delivered with different player colors having different shapes. You will see that in many commentaries all over thos game-site.
Greetings, Reinhard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep--my gal pals are BLUE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.