Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geri
Hungary
Debrecen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

What do you think nowdays what is te best zombie/horror game in the market?
Not to mension Arkham Horror and Fury of Dracula which I have already tried. There are some games that have cought my eyes like City of Horror, Zombicide, Last Night on Earth or Mansions of Madness, but I have never had the chance to play with them. So please recommend me some really thematic and well made game. We usually play with 4-5 people, playing time should be 3 hours top, and complexity is not an issue.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
So... did you like Arkham Horror and Fury of Dracula?

I'm eagerly waiting to try City of Horror. It adds more chrome to Mall of Horror, which is what I thought it needed. If the essence stays true to Mall of Horror, then you can't beat it. How cool is getting to vote who should die in each room? It brings out the worst in people, which is exactly what you want. The negotiation and fleeing from zombies, and nudging other players in front of them conveys the true spirit of zombie/horror for me. 6 players, 1-2 hours.

Mansions of Madness is thematic and well-made. I liken it to Resident Evil: the Board Game, since there are cultists, and you get to solve puzzles (which provides a nice respite and break in the action). As with any allv1 game, the dungeon keeper really needs to know the rules inside-out though.

Not tried Zombicide or Last Night on Earth or A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. Those seem more on the 'cheesy C-movie' side of zombie, and I prefer my zombies/horror serious with a dash of humor.

Also haven't tried Betrayal at House on the Hill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my reviews (both of them) on Betrayal at House on the Hill. It is fun, fairly quick, and gets that haunted house feel across. I initially gave it a 9, but in the more recent review have settled at a more realistic 7.

Zombicide is also good, and we reviewed that one too (meeplesonmeeples). It definitely is not for all groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind intricate rules and enjoy an unfolding narrative, then by all means try Mansions of Madness.

If you want something simpler, but evoking a very campy movie-like feel, then jump on board either Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game (or both!).

If you're looking for something else, well, I can't help you. Those (and Arkham Horror) scratch all my horror itches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take, as we tried to play as many Zombie games as possible at BGG.Con. In no particular order... >Zombies!!!; (with several expansions) Fun but light...tends to drag on if you have several players. >ZPocalypse; Still not released yet. Very 'fidly' lots of actions going on per player...leads to excess down time between player moves. I think if played more, all the excess action would be a bit smother >Zombicide; My personal favorite! Several nice scenarios. Movement is smooth and mechanics well thought out. Great components. >Last Night on Earth. This one is really good also. Again, it's scenario driven. One player is the Zombie faction, so it's really great for someone who loves to bEAT everyone up. Expansions and new characters add a lot. >Eaten by Zombies. Good short filler CARD game. All begin as survivors, but eventually only one player remains. They are the winner. Fun when the other players become Zombies and the Rules change a bit and you become pursued by the (game mechanic) Zombies as well as they other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rhodes
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Zombiecide and our entire group found it quite enjoyable. We finished the scenario in under 2.5 hours including set-up and rule book consultation (first play). It gave a very nice cinematic feel as we played. I haven't played any of the other games on your list but I have played The Martian Invasion game that uses the same system as Last Night On Earth and I think it would be as much fun as Z-cide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like horror and zombie games. My personal favourite so far is Doom: The Boardgame. But that is 4 players max and might take longer than 3 hours, depending on the scenario played. I find that the theme and rules work really well together, and enjoy the challenge each scenario poses for the marines. When switching to a new scenario, we also switch who is the monster player and that works well. Most scenarios are very tough for the marines, so it feels extra rewarding when good teamwork and tactics finally pays off.

Arkham Horror took too long for us, so we prefer Mansions Of Madness to that. Setup is a pain, though, and should ideally be done by the owner of the game before people arrive. But that means he/she is stuck being GM every time. I like that MoM feels like a board game version of a pen and paper RPG, which I miss from my youth.

Last Night On Earth has seen a lot of plays due to the fast play-time of about an hour, but my experience with it has been mixed. I've played scenarios that was over after two turns because of luck of the draw, and often new players have trouble forming a sensible strategy as the zombie player(s). With poorly played zombies the game can feel rather pointless. But most of the time it has been fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
If you want something simpler, but evoking a very campy movie-like feel, then jump on board either Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game (or both!).
LNoE is more evocative than ToE. In LNoE you watch the zombies surround you. In ToE, the villian's minions are obstacles, but the final showdown is summed up with "I shoulda done this, I shouldn'ta done that."

ToE is more thematic and immersive, if you have at least one of the expansions. After a while, you can be fairly confident of winning.

LNoE feels better to me. You really don't know if you'll survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
LNOE is a very good tactical zombie game. The heroes have defined objectives to achieve that vary in character and difficulty by scenario. The characters and their abilities do evoke a B-movie feel, but the game play is well done. I like that the zombies are easy to overpower but hard to kill. Their movement can also be manipulated by the players. Playing as the zombies can also be fun, especially if you like screwing people over.

TOE is fun, but feels a lot like a lite version of AH. Fun, but doesn't have the same feel as LNOE.

BaHotH is a lot of fun, but is definitely on the lighter side. It is also very accessible to non- and casual gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.