Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
There is no try
badge
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please, please, give me a rundown of the differences between this game series and the Eurofront series? I have nothing to give except thumbs, some GG tips and my thanks.

Basically, I'm looking for an overview of the WWII in block wargame format. While I'm not a wargame newbie, the better the rule book, the more likely I'll play it. Any other information you think is relevant is appreciated as well.

Of course, if this has been answered many, many times before, then point me in that direction and I'll be on my way.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Read these:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/564279/europe-engulfed-or-th...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/215300/europe-engulfed-vs-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Johnson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
My opinion... They are both good, but...

For a operational level game, I like East Front (EF)(Columbia Games) better - a scenario can be completed in an afternoon. Barbarossa is very fun...

For a strategic campaign game, I like Europe Engulfed (EE)(GMT Games) better.

1) They both use blocks to hide unit type/strength
2) EE uses "Special Actions" which are spent at the country level (e.g., Germany), while EF uses "Headquarters" with multiple HQs per front.
3) Terrain impacts both, less so for EE.
4) Rivers/Invasions - EE uses increased casualties, while EF uses increased casualties and "repulses". My personal opinion is that repulses shouldn't happen on the scale of these games (corp level) especially not at the high frequency they do (1/3 per defending pip).
5) EF uses 2 turns/month, EE is 1 turn/2 months

I still play both East Front and Europe Engulfed, both great games.

I tried EuroFront (= EF + WF + MF) once or twice and just couldn't get excited about it...

I'm a big fan of both games, but I get much more excited by Europe Engulfed than by East Front these days...

Your mileage may vary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall both games are great! I own both but it comes down to three criteria:

1) Time available: EE wins hands down;
2) Space: Can you keep it setup for multiple sessions?
3) Player interest: Can you keep the players interest long enough to finish the game.

Overall, if you are looking at strategic level game go with EE; if you want an operational level game go with EuroFront (Columbia's HQ system is one of the best out there).

So it depends, upon what you want or think you can do. I would guess EE will be played more often than EuroFront series, at least mine has.

Cheers,
H6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.