$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Macao» Forums » General

Subject: mini session report/what is the most you have gotten out of a card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All! I played another game of Macao on Friday night(game # 28!) and hit my highest score to date in a 3 player game, 105 points! I played against my wife who has played probablt a dozen games, and a friend who played for just the 2nd time(I taught him Macao a couple weeks ago). My friend came in 2nd with a nice tidy 86 points. I was impressed with how well he played! He took 0 negatives on route to that 86 points and even recognized a few places where he could have made better decisions. From my stand point he also needed to move on the wall a bit more than he did(I was able to draft the govenor and the porcelin storage in two of the last 3 rounds with noone moving on the wall during those turns and me only ahead by one on the wall).

In this game I chose to go the economic route as I have lately realized how advantageous that can be. And this was definately a game to go that route! Throughout the game I got the following(to the best of my memory) from the tribute track: 2 for 4, 2 for 5, 5 for 10, 6 for 8, 5 for 10, 2 for 5, 4 for 8. That's 50 points from the tribute track! I managed to get alot of money generating cards fairly early. I got the card that gives you 1 gc for every 4 ownership markers by round 7 and the pub in round 8.

However my best card was activating the moneylender in round 5(1 gc and 1 pp). That gave me 8 points and 8 coins over the course of the game! I actually can't remember ever getting more from a card than that one in this game(especially considering how good the tribute track was to use that money on!). So my question to you all is:

What is the most you have gotten out of a card in a game of Macao?

Happy Gaming!

PS: For those that are interested here are my stats from that game:

34 total coins(5 starting, 8 from moneylender, 7 from the gc for ownership marker card, 5 from the pub, 6 from office cards, 3 from a joker tile) 26 coins used on tribute track, 8 coins used in the last round to get cubes to activate a 3 cube office card and one cube of the govenor card(I had the card that lets you give 2 gc for the ac of your choice).

50 points through tribute track
31 through delivery of goods(10 points spice, 5 point paper, 16 points porcelin) 6 total goods tiles purchased along with two joker tiles.
8 points moneylender card
7 points govenor card
3 points baronesa
6 points city quarter connections
0 punishment markers

105 total points

Cards Drafted and Activated:

Moneylender(1 gc and 1 pp)
Pub(1 gc)
4 different office card types
Sail?(move 2 spaces with your ship)
for each 2 gc you get 1 ac card
govenor
baronesa
porcelin storage
the card that lets you trade 2 ac for the ac of your choice
unsure about the 13th card....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine and I have at 50 plays of this game, likely more. We are regularly over 80 points, usualy in the 90-100 range. I know once I had a score in the 120s, but I don't recall the details of it. In a 2P, its not difficult to have two ware tile doublers and all 12 cubes connected in the city.

Sadly, I don't get to play this as 3 or 4P as often as I would like to. However, scored do tend to vary based on how cutthroat the game is. Its obviously easier to score higher when you make deals with somebody to not cut each other out of needed things.

CarlG wrote:

What is the most you have gotten out of a card in a game of Macao?

It would probably be the card that lets you buy twice from the prestige table (Diplomat, I think?). In one game, I had a money engine going and managed to get this on the table on turn 6 or 7. Made three or four double purchases with it. The Cathedral (1PP per different AC discarded) would be a big one too. Its a single color to activate, and once I got it out in round for or five. I got at least 20 points out of it, probably more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I don't really want to derail your thread, but I'm not sure starting a new one accomplishes anything either. I decided to go through the deck and yank out all the cards which score at least 10PP. I'm going to assume that 1GP=1PP. Although you (almost) always get a better ratio than this from the prestige track, you rare get the opportunity to spend all your gold.

Its also worth commenting that most of my plays are 2P. Many of these examples could easily be worth less in a more competitive game.

Shipping

X Storage - Doubles delivery value of a given good. Assuming you get all three tiles, this is worth 10 points.
Cooperage - 1PP more for each delivered tile. Depends on your game strategy, but can pay out up to 12PP
Lighthouse - 1GC for each delivered tile. Again, strategy dependent, but could hit 12PP, possibly more.

Gold Coins

Bank - 2GC per turn. Obviously depends on when you activate, but it is nice to have.
MoneyLender - 1GC/1PP per turn. Same as above.
Soldier - 1GC for each 4 city markers. Nearly as good as the bank if you buy lots of goods and cheaper to activate.
Pub/Host - I've never actually had both of these, but I can imagine it would be a powerhouse.

End Game Scorers

Councilman - 6PP for each office card type you have 3 of. Only once, but I have hit 18PP with this.
Statue - 3PP for each "dark" city quarter. This can get expensive, but I've seen another player hit 12PP with it.
Smithy - 1PP for each city marker. Obvious.
Meeting Room - 2PP for each office card type. 12PP possible, but it does lock you into a gold strategy.

Direct Points

Court/Quarry/Fortress/Vault/City Hall/Customs Station - These cards give 1 PP every turn for each activiated card of a certain office type. This really relies on when the card turns and where those office cards appear in the game. However, in a particuarly lucky game, I once was getting 2PP per turn starting on turn 6 and managed to pick up a third near the end, so 18PP at least, again, if you're lucky.

Bishop - spend 1GC for 2PP. This one is a bit trick to quantify. The average GC to PP conversion on the tribute table is 3GC:5PP, or 1.67. So this card really only gives you a 0.33 gain per turn. Conversely, its common to end up with leftover gold at the end of a game, so this card does give you extra spending opportunities. Personally, I've found this to be an extremely weak card, but I include it here because, technically, you could directly earn 10+PP from it if activated early enough.

Cathedral - Return different colored AC for 1PP each. Again, this is a tricky one. If it comes out early, you can get at least 2PP per turn from it, possibly more if you have an AC generating card. Difficulty is that spending AC in the Cathedral reduces your ability to do other things. Personally, I probably overvalue this card, but I have had many games where I've earned more than 10 and even 15 from it.

Diplomat - You may buy from tribute table twice. This is both strategy and luck depending. You need the gold and you need the table to have good payouts, but if you can hit those 2 for 1 exchanges on the prestige table twice, the payout is huge. Easily a 10PP card if you have the gold engine to back it up.

Intangibles

Ms. Red/Miss Gray/etc - Granted, these don't directly score points, but if you get them out by the sixth turn, they give you flexibility in other parts of the game. Is it really worth 10PP? Again, its circumstantial. However, for an opening card, I would probably take it over the Governor.

Scholar - Any 1AC per turn. Similar to above, but terribly expensive. Probably would not take Governer over this though, because of the activiation cost. In fact, it will probably take longer to activate, and thus you have fewer turns to make it pay out.

Researcher - 1AC more per selected die. Again, situational.

Sail Loft - Move ship 2 spaces. Yet again, situational. In my early plays of the game I loved this card as it effectively saved you 2AC per turn in ship movement. Now that I am a much better player, I rarely find myself running short of cubes, so I'm often dismissive of it. However, if you abandon gold and go for delivery of a variety of goods, the sail not only makes this viable, but gives you extra cubes to spend in the city quarter. It could be worth 10PP if leveraged in a very specific way.

Speculator - pay 1AC less in the city quarter. Similar to above, it depends on a delivery strategy and you could also get points for having a better connected string at end game.

Idler/Abbot - Do not take a card/No punish markers for unbuilt cards. This is one I'm very hesitant to include as it tends to be valued more be less experienced players. However, not only does having a card left on your table incur a 3 point penalty, but it frees up the AC you would have had to spend building it. I suppose you could leverage 10PP out of this, so I only include it for completeness. However, its more likely that you're also sacrificing benefits of cards you would have built or you've already lost the game by not positioning yourself very well on the wall.

(All edits for grammar and the like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the input David! And no worries about derailed threads You might want to check out another thread I started in these forums called: Evaluating the Cards: Which is the strongest. If you click to the second page of the forum threads you can find it there.

Also, I thought the average tribute ratio was 4 for 7...I wonder which one of us is right?

Also, I find higher scores emerge in 2p games as there is less competition for everything(although you do get to see less cards). I usually play 3 or 4 player games and the usual winning score is around 90...but we play to block one another and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
thanks for the input David! And no worries about derailed threads You might want to check out another thread I started in these forums called: Evaluating the Cards: Which is the strongest. If you click to the second page of the forum threads you can find it there.

I thought we had done this before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Quote:

Also, I thought the average tribute ratio was 4 for 7...I wonder which one of us is right?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/604638/solving-the-tribu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.