Brian Bennett
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy Steam Barons and 1830.
I never have the time to play 1830. I wish I did, I just don't.

I love Steam Barons but after playing 1830, I wish there was a little more to it.

What I am looking for here is a look into ideas for variants or other games all together that will put me somewhere in between the two games. I want a slightly deeper game than Barons (more long term strategy planning and stock market importance) but I want to play in 3-4 hrs.

We played a 3 player game of Barons in about 2 hours.

These are the ideas that I am tossing around-
First, use a larger board with more cities/towns. Or, implement a good restocking phase to the game.
Second, add X number of rounds to the game, 5 is too short.

Next, make it possibly, but somewhat limited for companies to use other companies track segments. I understand this adds an element of colusion between companies with the same owner, but it will become too likely that company would get locked in completely without a chance to deliver a good as you lengthen the game. I want companies to fail but not as easily as getting locked in does.

So, if you have ideas for variants or other games that you think fit the bill for me, please let me know!
Thanks,
Brain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Baltimore & Ohio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Stanley
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam Over Holland

Experienced players can play in about the same time as Steam Barons, as it also has a set number of rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Nate said it straight - B&O is the way to go - 18xx without the headaches.

Alternatively, have a look at Poseidon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good suggestions here.

I'll throw in a shout for Bullfrog Goldfield. It's a game about one of the goldrushes, and you buy stocks in railroads and mines. Railroads tend to be jumpy and slower in their climb in increasing values, whereas mines are more of a quicker climb until they're exhausted, at which point they're worth zero (and everything associated with them drops in value).

Baltimore & Ohio and Steam over Holland are both great stockholding train game options without diving headfirst into 18xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bennett
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the suggestion to try Baltimore and Ohio!! It is a great game and perfectly hit what we were looking for in a game. It is deaper/bigger than Steam Barons but not quite at the level of 1830.

It seems as if the designers were thinking exactly what we were, we love the game but don't want to deal with all of the hassle. Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.