$10.00
Jure Volarevic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After playing with all the small box expansions for a while, I finally bought Kingsport Horror expansion. I played 3 games so far and in my third game something strange happened.

A mythos card was drawn that said "No gate open this turn, but add 2 doom tokens to the doom track" (or something similar). After resolving the card, we noticed we now have to place a 4th rift progress marker on one of the rift tracks. You can guess my problem now, Mythos card showed no location where I should place rift that just opened. At first I thought I could just place the rift somewhere outside the board since it doesn't really interact with anything anyway, but than I wouldn't know where to spawn monsters when it moves. In the end, we decided to ignore placing that rift progress marker and continue.

What's the official ruling for a situation like this? I couldn't find anything about this in rulebook, and browsing this forum a bit didn't help either. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have just draw another mythos card and place the rift on location depicted there, ignoring the rest of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official ruling is that if you're to "draw a Mythos card and use the gate location," you draw until you get one with a gate location.

Added bonus: the official ruling for failing the World Torn Asunder rumor is that you draw three separate times for the three opened rifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant I use maintains Kingsport from dilution and adds a little more excitement to that town.

- Add a Rift Token on the Rift Track ONLY when a Gate Opens, including Gate Bursts but not Monster Surges
- Rifts open in Kingsport, based on the last Rift Token added to the Rift Track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice variant, I'll have to try it.

Doesn't the first point slow things down though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCorvid wrote:
Nice variant, I'll have to try it.

Doesn't the first point slow things down though?
I don't think you want too many opening in Kingsport - there's not much room. So slowing them down a bit is probably sensible. However, in late game when the big four are likely sealed, it's likely to go really quiet. Normally, Kingsport keeps the interest level high during the end game where with Base it can get a little dull. Miskatonic helps with this too. Our last complete whupping was handed out by KH + MH, before we had MH this would have been unthinkable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Added bonus: the official ruling for failing the World Torn Asunder rumor is that you draw three separate times for the three opened rifts.

Well this is good to know. We played last night and had this happen but we put all three rifts on the same location.

Also, how do you remember which rift came from which spot on the KH board? I suppose if we had put them on different locations it would have been easier to keep track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
Also, how do you remember which rift came from which spot on the KH board? I suppose if we had put them on different locations it would have been easier to keep track.

That is a good question. The simple answer is "you don't." The game doesn't include a way of marking it, and it's not typical to have more than one in play at a time. Thus, there is no harm in putting a closed rift back onto any free track that you choose (not that there will be a big difference).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.