Hide
4 Posts

Dominion: Alchemy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sorry...Another Confused Possession Owner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
msg tools
I just read through the last post with the subject of "Possession," and I'm still confused! So I'm sorry if I'm being a dunce.

My wife and I played with Possession tonight for the first time (a 2-player game). What confuses me is the wording on the card:

"The player to your left takes an EXTRA TURN after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him."

So my question is, when does the "extra turn" occur and when does the possession take place? Do I interpret the card as if it read "The player to your left takes an extra turn IMMEDIATELY after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him.

Tonight, I played Possession during my turn. At the end of my turn, I drew my next 5-card hand. So now it's my wife's turn. She already has a hand of 5 cards (which she drew after her previous turn before I ever played Possession).

Am I now taking possession of my wife's turn at this point? Or does she first play her normal turn, draw 5 cards, and then take an extra turn during which I possess her?

Put another way, which is correct?

1:
--A plays possession, finishes his turn, and draws 5 cards.
--A takes possession of B's hand, finishes the turn, and B draws 5 cards (which A can see).
--B takes his normal turn with these 5 cards which both players saw.

or

2:
--B takes his normal turn, finishes, and draws 5 cards.
--A takes possession of B's new 5-card hand at this point, finishes, and B draws 5 cards which A sees.
--A takes his normal turn.

We played it the latter way (#2), but now I'm thinking #1 is correct. It would have been more clear I think if the word "immediately" was part of the text on the card. If #1 is correct, then when Possession is played, the person who will be possessed knows immediately which cards the Possessor will play with and whether it's going to be bad for him or good for him.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm beating this into the ground, but the wording confuses me.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnelman wrote:

Put another way, which is correct?

1:
--A takes possession of B's hand, finishes the turn, and B draws 5 cards (which A can see).
--B takes his normal turn with these 5 cards which both players saw.

or

2:
--B takes his normal turn, finishes, and draws 5 cards.
--A takes possession of B's new 5-card hand at this point, finishes, and B draws 5 cards which A sees.
--A takes his normal turn.

1 is correct.

Edit to add: To avoid further confusion, remember that even though A is possessing B, it's still B's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyckad nyckad
msg tools
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
schnelman wrote:

1: [...]
[...]

1 is correct.

Just a question: A can see the new set of 5 cards drawn by B after "possessed" turn? I thought he/she couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakcyn wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
schnelman wrote:

1: [...]
[...]

1 is correct.

Just a question: A can see the new set of 5 cards drawn by B after "possessed" turn? I thought he/she couldn't.

Yes. A can see B's cards until the possessed turn is over. The last thing that happens on a turn is drawing a new hand of cards. So the turn isn't over until after the cards have been drawn (and seen by the possessing player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.