Subject: A curious question about card printing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I received Alchemy and Cornucopia the other day and now own all the expansions (well, except for the base cards with the new images, which I don't plan to buy since I'm happy with the cards I own).

I've always wondered: Why are the cards packaged the way they are?

For example, if I open the "first" pack of cards in an expansion (the one showing the lowest letter in the alphabet), I see 10 identical action cards, another 10 identical actions cards, another 10, etc.

But by the time I get to the last pack of cards, I might see 3 identical action cards, maybe 3 different randomizer cards, the 7 action cards that go with the previous 3, then maybe 6, a couple randomizer cards, the remaining 4, etc.

I would have expected that all the randomizer cards would either be together or positioned with their corresponding non-randomizers, but not interspersed randomly (seemingly) in the last pack or two of cards.

The cards in all the expansions seem to be ordered in this fashion. Is there a logical answer to this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[shrug] You get to a point where the standard pattern of packing all the cards won't work anymore, so the remainder get packed up in some odd layout instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that the cards are printed on large sheets. Presumably, they're ordered on the sheets in a way that makes sense, perhaps something that aids Quality Assurance or Quality Control. The cutting machine doesn't care about that, though. If there's a nice 3x4 box of blue-backs on the sheet, it could be cut into strips that have 3 blue-backs on each strip. And then the strips could be cut and stacked exactly as you see them. I don't know if that's actually what happens, but it at least matches the facts that I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A typical card sheet looks like this:

I have no idea why identical cards are spread out, but logicaly there is a good reason for this. Maybe it lessens the risk of having the same fault on all identical cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
A typical card sheet looks like this:

I have no idea why identical cards are spread out, but logicaly there is a good reason for this. Maybe it lessens the risk of having the same fault on all identical cards?

This sheet is for a CCG, it's likely to get the cards into packs in a "random" order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
schnel wrote:
The cards in all the expansions seem to be ordered in this fashion. Is there a logical answer to this question?

I don't know the answer, but the sheets themselves that I've seen have the cards in order - 10 of one card, then 10 of the next, going across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
schnel wrote:

I don't know the answer, but the sheets themselves that I've seen have the cards in order - 10 of one card, then 10 of the next, going across.

That may hold the key. I would suspect that to save costs, all the sheets have the same back image (some normal backs and some randomizer) and each sheet is one pack of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
roger1818 wrote:
That may hold the key. I would suspect that to save costs, all the sheets have the same back image (some normal backs and some randomizer) and each sheet is one pack of cards.

The one example I have is Alchemy. In fact it has two sheet-sized images for the fronts of the cards and one image for the backs. The back image is 10x10 cards with 8 of them being the randomizer back. For a copy of Alchemy, you get every card from one page and half the cards from the other page. There are 12 cards with randomizer backs so this works out.

They can't always do this though, because the number of randomizers is sometimes odd, but all cards get used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
They can't always do this though, because the number of randomizers is sometimes odd, but all cards get used.

They don't need an even number of randomizers. Instead they need to be divisible by the number of sheets used. Thinking about it, an even more important reason to do this is to keep the colours on the backs the same within the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
roger1818 wrote:
They don't need an even number of randomizers. Instead they need to e divisible by the number of sheets used.

That's true, but that math doesn't always work out either. For example Prosperity has 25 randomizer backs and 300 cards, which is 3 sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.