Popular Tags: [View All]
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Caritas lets you take a card if you have the fewest buildings after building. Do you have to build a building, to use this ability?

Compare to the Poor House, for which the rule book explicitly states that you do not get a card if you do not build a building. The rule book does not have the same requirement listed for the Caritas, which leads to an interpretation of "At the end of any building phase, if you have the fewest buildings, take a card."

However, the text on the Caritas card says "after building", which is the same as the text on the Poor House card. So in the interest of rule consistency, the interpretation would be "At the end of any building phase in which you have built a building, if you have the fewest buildings, take a card."

The first interpretation makes more sense as a mechanism. If you are building slowly, you get help to build a building. Under the second interpretation, it is like an alternate version of the carpenter that lets you take a card when you build any building, but only if you have the fewest.

Can anyone clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct (EDIT: with your first reading). The Caritas gives the owner an effect during the builder phase (at the end of the phase, to be precise). That effect is not concerned with whether the owner (or anyone else) has built anything during that phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes sense. I eventually decided not to play it, and avoided having to make a ruling and act as judge, jury and executioner on my own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:
You are correct (EDIT: with your first reading). The Caritas gives the owner an effect during the builder phase (at the end of the phase, to be precise). That effect is not concerned with whether the owner (or anyone else) has built anything during that phase.

That is not immediately the way I read the text on the card, although I see why your interpretation also makes good sense. I have always thought that the absence of the term 'building phase' or capitalization was an indicator that actually erecting a building was required to trigger the caritas. What is your interpretation based on? Is this common consensus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just card text. Following card text leads to the first answer. Any other answer requires errata, and I haven't heard of any errata to the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.