Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made it to the boss once, playing alone (easy level).
The other times:
Alone - Died in round 1 (easy level - first try)
Alone - Died in round 3 (easy level)
With 4 friends - Died late round 1 or early round 2 (easy level)
With 5 friends (two teenage sons included) - Died in round 4 (easy level)
With 5 gamers - Died in early round 3 (normal level)

The last one was tonight - we all got down to 2 or 3 health after fighting the very first monster (with an under the leg roll requirement, but only 2 HP).

I still have fun, but I honestly don't see any way to beat the bosses unless one of the first few rolls is a head shot. My one alone game where I was on a roll saw the boss absolutely crush me. Tonight, at least a couple of the gamers were very turned off by the negative experience, but they wouldn't have been ok with stacking the deck to make for an easier start or anything like that. The first three monsters had under-the-leg rolls, off-the-nose rolls, and bounce twice rolls - we had multiple scars on the first dungeon level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost my first six games or so but since have gone 4-0, including one or two on the hardest level. We've been lucky certain monsters have not shown themselves...ie, bounce over a card...

There are tricks and strategies to put yourselves in better shape to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Carreras
Spain
Vilablareix
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmb
You should be able to hit consistently with a normal throw by rolling the die towards the target, even with an under the leg throw. If you can't get it to roll on the target you should try to play on a different table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know my excact win/loss ratio, but I do know that it tips towards the "win" side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We lost our first ~ 6 games, but are currently on a winning streak with every group we've played with (including new players). One thing that has a huge impact is the hardness (and smoothness) of your playing surface. We used to play on our poker table (padded felt), but now we only play on the kitchen table. A hard surface makes the game a lot easier.

Second, the weapons and other items you buy are very important. You want to equip every character with a weapon that he/she can reliably hit the board with as soon as possible. Potions are the next best item type. Voodoo dolls might not seem powerful at a glance, but they're the best item against bosses, so you should never pass up the opportunity to buy one. In fact, sometimes they make boss fights trivial (situations where you might intentionally miss so the boss kills himself in a "quit hitting yourself" moment). Heal-all potions can also be good.

And beyond those items, be sure not to waste gold on mediocre items or weapons that won't be used all the time. Spend that gold on white dice instead. Ideally, you want all 9 dice in your stash before facing the final boss, so stock up on them at the last (or last two) shops. When fighting, don't be afraid to take damage and get the coloured dice back. Before the boss (and perhaps some high-damage red enemies), you only want to use white dice if you know it only takes one more hit to finish off the enemy. Otherwise, it's a waste of white dice. Use them sparingly.

Also, check the FAQ/errata, as there were a few errors in the rule book. For instance, when you pay gold at a shop to heal, 1 gold allows you to heal ALL characters by 1 (not 1 gold per player per hit point, as in the printed rules)... although heal-all potions are priced even better. It also explicitly states that any skill with a target must hit the board to activate, while all abilities that don't have a target (including "sworn enemy") do not require hitting the board to activate.

Choice of path matters. The first time we played, we took the long, "easy" path, but that meant we eventually had to fight blue and even red enemies even when playing on "easy" difficulty level. Short paths might appear more difficult, but you'd usually rather face a green enemy in a tough room and less red enemies right before the boss (although the latter will get you more gold... so YMMV). It might be obvious, but healing fountains are lovely this time of year. You should check them out!

Also, the choice and order of character can be important. It's best to have a full party of 6, as that allows you to spread the damage out over more characters (although you'll have a longer downtime between throws, which might counteract this). If you have two healers, you might want to stagger them rather than having them act one after the other. I even made an excel spreadsheet that is both a "bestiary" and "hero suggestions" based on which characters are good for beginners (and/or playing on "easy" difficulty) and which are for experts (and/or playing on "hard")... and which should always be in your party. In summary:

- Brockenstock - beginner only (goblins are low level with 1 notable exception; his beer ability and equipment slots are based around defense, so good for beginners who miss the board a lot)
- Murka Mistcleaver - beginner only (animals are low level; ignore a miss is also good for beginners)
- Lady Mary - beginner only (ignore a miss is good for beginners; a second healer can also be valuable; "seduce" is cute but rarely amazing... maybe I'm not doing it right)
- Goldfinga - intermediate/expert (getting free equipment is HUGE, especially when you'll be fighting a lot of blue/red monsters)
- Lanky Lowshot - intermediate/expert (extra damage is good against blue/red monsters; his ignore a miss ability seems out-of-place as it would be better for beginners)
- Randolph - expert only (turn to frog is awesome against tough enemies; magical (star) enemies only show up at blue/red; his reroll ability seems out-of-place as it would be more useful for beginners)
- Torm - expert only (he MUST hit for all of his abilities; he can't use armor or potions; he's best with a player who never misses and/or can combine at least two weapons and still hit every time!)
- Sir Moo - ALWAYS USE (best healer; don't delve dungeons without him)
- Fridolin - ALWAYS USE (has the most valuable skill in the game = takes away an enemy's special ability - and doesn't have to hit to activate it! And extra damage never hurts)

Example of a team I'd recommend for easy difficulty (mostly green/yellow monsters) in order of importance:
- Sir Moo
- Fridolin
- Goldfinga
- Lady Mary
- Murka Mistcleaver
- Brockenstock

Example of a team I'd recommend for hard difficulty (lots of blue/red monsters):
- Fridolin
- Sir Moo
- Goldfinga
- Torm
- Randolph
- Lanky Lowshot (or perhaps Lady Mary if you use "seduce" effectively and/or like a second healer)

*edit* fixed spelling; added clarifications; added recommended parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the care in the replies. I'll definitely try some of these suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally won a game with my seven year old nephew! We cut one corner or two but basically won with the wizard and the BGG Geek, who had a lot of extra rolls. He had a great time too. Hooray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.