United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfon wrote:
Single Card Auction
break-even 1/2 WT

Single card auctions are certainly the least interesting; single cards are not the most desirable (e.g. radiators), and almost everyone has WT and "hand space" to get involved.

I'm struggling to understand hand space, especially early in the game. With the quick start rules, each player will have six cards in hand at the beginning and 4 WT. If those are cards that actually are desirable and you're not going to sell them for 3 WT each on the initial turns, then you're going to be doing a lot of income operations to come up with the cash to boost them all to LEO. During that time, isn't Shimizu literally taking an insurmountable lead in cash by initiating and winning 2-3 card auctions for 0 WT while others either sell initial cards or build up cash to boost them to get under 4 white cards in hand?

I guess the supports mess with my understanding of how the hand limit on auction participation is supposed to go.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quick start assumes an immediate boosting of 3 cards which is quite possible with the number of 0 mass cards out there .. of course the Shimizu benefit greatly from the quick start but NASA should be able to get their hand clear and offer rebates to others for W.T. to keep the Japanese in check ..

Of course the quick start is really best just to learn how to play

gives you initial cards to fumble through to cobble a rocket together ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my opinion that a "quick start" isn't necessary in the expanded game, because:
- the two- and three-card auctions get more money into the system more quickly
- the average mass of a mission in the advanced game will be lower, because players will arrange for support cards to work with more than one primary card
- more money in the system + lower mission masses = missions getting boosted and fueled more quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.