Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

After my infamous rant on Yu-Gi-Oh and my budget deck suggestions, I am back with some more decks I built on a budget! Yes I know initially I condemned the whole game, and, being a mildly successful game designer myself, I still think the Yu-Gi-Oh has some severe design flaws, but let a man be honest and change his mind. To be honest, I enjoy playing the game a lot with some friends and using our house rules.

So let me show you three decks I built recently:

Dark World Deck:

I recently and inexpensively purchased one of the newer Structure Decks (“Gates of the Underworld”) all about so called “Dark World” Monsters. The Dark World Monsters to be found in the Structure Deck are somewhat familiar to the Madness-Creatures in Magic: the Gathering if you are familiar with that, meaning you can either play them for free when discarded from your hand or get some beneficial effect when doing so. Some Dark World Monsters usually have a more powerful effect or additional benefits when they are discarded by an effect of your opponent. While that may trigger sometimes in the “Meta” I am playing (usually by an opponent playing “Card Destruction”) I did not really wanted to rely on the Dark World Monsters that give you that kind of benefit, but rather trigger their effects by lots and lots of very powerful Spell and Trap cards that require a discard as an additional cost for playing them. But let’s look at my current Dark World Deck List now (Please note that we play with banned cards – 1 copy of each allowed in a deck, kinda like Traditional Format):

Monsters…18

2 x Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World
3 x Beige, Vanguard of Dark World
3 x Sillva, Warlord of Dark World
3 x Kahkki, Guerilla of Dark World
1 x Gren, Tactician of Dark World
1 x Broww, Huntsman of Dark World
1 x Battlefader
1 x Belial, Maquis of Darkness
1 x Gravewinder
1 x Newdoria
1 x Sangan

Spells…17

1 x Monster Reborn
1 x Monster Reincarnation
1 x Change of Heart
1 x Graceful Charity
1 x Card Destruction
1 x Lightning Vortex
1 x Dark World Lightning
1 x Allure of Darkness
1 x Gate of the Dark World
1 x Terraforming
1 x Different Dimension Reincarnation
2 x Gateway to Dark World
2 x Foolish Burial
2 x Dark Core

Traps…5

3 x Raigeki-Break
2 x Escape from the Dark Dimension

Strategy:

There are a lot of synergies going on in this deck which I really enjoy and which can lead to a very explosive start. There are tons of Spell and Trap cards that require you to discard a card from your hand as an additional cost to cast/activate them. Among them are powerful cards like Lightning Vortex (letting you destroy all your opponent’s attack position Monsters), Dark Core (which lets you remove from the game any face up Monster), Dark World Lightning (which allows you to destroy any face down card o the field) as well as Raigeki-Break (which lets you destroy ANY card on the field) toname just a few. Play these powerful cards and discard Beige or Sillva early on to get some free Monsters to start beating down your opponent fast. Scarr and Kahkki can be discarded to destroy Spell or Trap cards or Monsters on the field respectively. The perfect start is to discard Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World from your hand for some effect of the cards mentioned above, so his ability to destroy any card on the field when discarded triggers and reanimate him by returning one of your Dark World Monsters to your hand, preferably Beige, whom you can summon without having to tribute.
Grapha is a prime target for Foolish Burial, as you can summon him by sending any Dark World Monster back to your hand as mentioned above. Another great target for Foolish Burial is Belial, Marquis of Darkness, whom I added as an additional beatstick, reanimation target and as a way to protect your weaker Monsters.
Also, Monster Reincarnation can come in extremely handy in this deck cause it provides another “discard outlet” while letting you retrieve one of your Monsters from the graveyard. Just target Grapha to be able to destroy any card again by discarding him from your hand later on. Gateway to the Dark World and Allure of Darkness let you remove your Darkness Monsters (all Monsters in this deck are Darkness Monsters) from the game while allowing you to draw cards, only to make them targets for reanimation via Gates of Dark World and Escape from the Dark Dimension.

So far this deck rocks and is a lot of fun and challenging to play. The only downside it has is that you constantly create card disadvantage by discarding a ton of cards to various Spells and Traps. However, this sacrifice is rewarded by free-to-summon, powerful Dark World Monster and effects.

Different Dimension Deck:

A long time ago I bought two copies of the “Dark Emperor” Structure Deck, mainly to get a hold of some Caius the Shadow Monarchs and some other cards I found useful. Recently I discovered that one can build a decent Different Dimension Deck from the commons that come in that Structure Deck, without having to purchase a whole lot of additional cards to end up with a strong deck. For those not so familiar with the matter, a Different Dimension Deck is all about removing Monsters and other cards from the game to boost special Monsters and possibly dealing a finishing blow usually through the deck’s key card “Return from a Different Dimension”. So again, let us take a look at my current Different Dimension Deck List:

Monsters…22

3 x Jain, Lightsworn Paladin
3 x Card Trooper
3 x Bazoo, the Soul Eater
3 x Banisher of the Light
2 x Golden Homunculus
2 x Gren Maju Da Eiza
1 x Helios, the Primordial Sun
1 x D.D. Warrior Lady
1 x Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
1 x Breaker, the Magical Warrior
1 x Cyber Dragon
1 x Mask of Darkness

Spells…11

2 x Different Dimension Reincarnation
1 x Dimensional Fissure
1 x Different Dimension Capsule
1 x Pot of Greed
1 x Graceful Charity
1 x Card Destruction
1 x Dark Hole
1 x Lightning Vortex
1 x Change of Heart
1 x Nobleman of Crossout

Traps…7

3 x Return from the Different Dimension
2 x Macrocosmos
2 x Bottomless Traphole

Strategy:

The basic goal of this deck is to remove a ton of your (Monster) cards from the game, while decimating your opponent’s Monsters at the same time, to summon some massive Golden Homunculi or Gren Maju Da Eizas, preferably winning in one huge attack powered by the key card in this deck: Return from a Different Dimension (Pay half you Life Points: Summon as many of your removed from play Monsters as possible. They are removed from play at the end of your turn.)
Again, there are some very powerful synergies in this deck: Use your Lightsworn Paladins and Card Troopers to send multiple cards from the top of your deck to the graveyard each turn (Card Trooper can send up to 3, each giving him +500 ATK for the turn, which means he can become a 1900 ATK Monster) only to let Bazoo feast on their souls. Bazoo can become a 2500 ATK Monster if you remove a maximum of 3 Monsters from your graveyard from the game. That is huge for a non-tribute monster. So as you play along, your removed-from-the-game zone will have lots and lots of cards in it soon, also through the effects of Banisher of Light (his 2000 DEF are nothing to sneeze at either), the Spell card Dimensional Fissure and the Trap Macrocosmos. The more (Monster) cards you removed from the game, the more bigger Gren Maju Da Eiza (ATK of 400 times the number of your removed from play cards) and Golden Homunculus (1500 base ATK and a mighty +300 ATK for each of your removed from play cards) will grow. You can win the game just by having any of these Monsters on the field, but the most satisfying victory is to pull off a huge Return from the Different Dimension, preferably after you sweeped the board with Dark Hole or Lightning Vortex! As for Monsters, I added a Mask of Darkness to retrieve Return from the Different Dimension if you were lucky and discarded them all or if it gets countered by the opponent, as well as one Breaker, the Magical Warrior (always a good choice – a nice beatstick and Spell/Trap-control all in one) and a Cyber Dragon for the fun of it. The Spells in this deck are mostly a selection of powerful one-of’s, some of which interact great with the removed-from-play-theme. For example Card Destruction. If you have Banisher of the Light out or a copy of Macrocosmos, all the cards you discard will be removed from the game instead, thus providing additional boost for Humunculus and Gran Maju Da Eiza. A nice side-effect of the removed-from-the-game-theme is that it more or less foils decks which feature reanimation from the graveyard…

Stall-Burn Deck:

Only a few days ago I had felt the urge to design what a Magic: the Gathering player would know as a “Control Deck”, which is a deck that totally controls the field by countering and/or destroying all major threats the opponent plays, while usually not relying on Creatures and Combat Damage to win. To achieve something like that was a real challenge for me, as in a Yu-Gi-Oh deck, Monsters are more important than Creatures in a Magic deck – in my opinion and experience. So I had to find a compromise. What I ended up with was a deck that HAS a lot of Monsters, but it does not rely on those Monsters attacking and thus dealing damage to your opponent to bring them down to zero Life Points. The result of my pondering and researching was what I would like to call a “Stall-Burn” deck. I ordered the cards some days ago – all in all it did not cost me more than 20 Euros – and just today received them. Hence the deck I am going to show you is not yet tested. We will amend this over the course of the coming weekend. But let’s take a look at the deck list I came up with:

Monsters…18

3 x UFO Turtle
3 x Solar Flare Dragon
3 x Fire Trooper
3 x Bowganian
2 x Des Koala
2 x The Thing in the Crater
1 x Magician of Faith
1 x Mask of Darkness

Spells…9

3 x Poison of the Old Man
2 x Tremendous Fire
2 x Dark Room of Nightmare
1 x Graceful Charity
1 x Swords of Revealing Light

Traps…13

3 x Gravity Bind
3 x Threatening Roar
3 x Just Desserts
2 x Magical Cylinder
1 x Judgment of Anubis
1 x Seven Tools of the Bandit

Strategy:

Well as I said before the deck is not yet tested, but here is how it SHOULD work. Stall, that is render the opponent unable to attack you, with cards like Gravity Bind, Threatening Roar and Swords of Revealing Light, while constantly dealing “direct damage” to them via your Spells, Traps and Creatures. There are two types of direct damage in this deck – sources that deal damage constantly, each turn, and sources that deal damage once. Solar Flare Dragon is probably the most powerful constant source of direct damage. During each of your opponent’s End Phases, it deals 500 points of damage to your opponent, and, and this is absolutely awesome, it cannot be destroyed if you have another Pyro-Monster out. That means if you have two Solar Flare Dragons in play, they’ll protect each other, while inflicting a whooping 1000 points of damage during each of your opponent’s End-Phases. Bowganian is a similar constant damage-source. UFO Turtle and The Thing in the Crater support your direct damage Monsters perfectly. The Turtle lets you special summon any Pyro type Monster with 1500 or less ATK when destroyed in battle – your prime target should be Solar Flare Dragon – and The Thing in the Crater lets you special summon a Pyro type Monster from your hand if it is destroyed, which can be quite handy as well. Judgement of Anubis and Seven Tools of the Bandit are in the deck to protect your vital Trap Cards from being destroyed by your opponent. There is one very nice synergy which I discovered just today. Des Koala punishes your opponent for having lots of cards in their hands (it deals 400 damage to your opponent for every card in their hand when flip summoned) and Just Desserts on the other hand penalizes your opponent for each Monster they have on the field (it deals 500 damage to the opponent for each Monster they have in play). So the opponent may find themselves in a though situation, having to choose between a rock and a hard place so to say…

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok those are three of my most recent Yu-Gi-Oh budget decks. I hope you found this little strategy article interesting - thank you for reading!

Any comments, suggestions, questions and constructive criticism would be more than welcome!

Game on!

Andi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rowland
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice decks!

Just to remind you Andi,
Dark world cards don't get to use their effect if they are discarded as part of a cost. E.g with cards like: Graceful Charity, Raigeki Break, Lightning Vortex, etc.

If you notice the Dark world lightning card is desinged for dark world monsters. You see it requires you to discard a card after it's effect has resolved, this way the dark world monsters can use their effects!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goddamnit! That ruins my whole Dark World Deck

Thanks for telling me though Joe...

Cheers,

Andi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey being an avid Yu-Gi-Oh player I do play my Dark Worlds a ton.

I would run Dragged Down into the Grave and Mind Crush. Those cards help you destroy your opponent's hand and Dragged Down activates your Dark World monsters because it is not a cost to discard but rather an effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.