The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set» Forums » General

Subject: reprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay I'm a little late to the party but my friends and I stumbled on this little gem a while ago. Unfortunatley there about 5 or 6 people in my group that enjoy this. Where can I find the expansion???? Any word on a reprint???? I know it is out of print. Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&item...

or you can try trading with one of the 42 folks who have it marked for trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not many trading this from the UK (and I have nothing they want) nor selling, so a reprint is my only option other than paying stupid money, which I blankly refuse..

So Mayfair please consider a reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Peeters
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locherbread wrote:
Not many trading this from the UK (and I have nothing they want) nor selling, so a reprint is my only option other than paying stupid money, which I blankly refuse..

I completely agree!! Come on Mayfair!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Adrimetum wrote:
locherbread wrote:

I completely agree!! Come on Mayfair!!

SIGNED!
Please Mayfair!!!
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Griebel
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed Mayfair about this a few weeks ago and got this response:

Quote:
Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, chances of the Pillars expansion ever being reprinted are
extremely low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
griethad wrote:
I emailed Mayfair about this a few weeks ago and got this response:

Quote:
Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, chances of the Pillars expansion ever being reprinted are
extremely low.

But this doesn't make sense at all. The Pillars of the Earth is really a wonderful Euro-game that is easily liked by seasoned gamers as well as casual fun seekers. Mayfair would only profit from reprinting the expansion and/or the base game.

If I bought the base game The Pillars of the Earth in German from KOSMOS, I wouldn't have such problem with getting an expansion for it. But since I went for Mayfair edition I want expansion to be fully compatible and in the same language.

It might sound silly, but since finding out there is an expansion and not being able to purchase it (for a reasonable price - paying 3 times over the base game is ridiculous) makes playing The Pillars of the Earth in our home a rare occurrence because game now feels to us as being incomplete.

So once again; Mayfair if You are reading this please reprint The Pillars of the Earth - Expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Thomas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also waiting on the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please understand that, vocal support aside, there are a variety of factors at play with a reprint, only some of which involve perceived demand for the expansion. At this time, if you'd like me to adjust expectations downward from "chances of the Pillars expansion ever being reprinted are extremely low", I will, but you oughta take that at face value, no matter how many "secondeds" appear on this thread.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Please understand that, vocal support aside, there are a variety of factors at play with a reprint, only some of which involve perceived demand for the expansion. At this time, if you'd like me to adjust expectations downward from "chances of the Pillars expansion ever being reprinted are extremely low", I will, but you oughta take that at face value, no matter how many "secondeds" appear on this thread.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

I came by to find a thread like this to "second" it, but after reading this, honestly I now think I'm more likely to sell my copy of the base game than to pay double or triple for a used copy of this expansion.

Edit added after a week: I'll add that it seems a little snarky for a response from a company representative. Even if a reprint seems unlikely from the company's point of view, the "just deal with it, no matter how many of you want it" response isn't that professional. Poor form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Teleklos wrote:

I came by to find a thread like this to "second" it, but after reading this, honestly I now think I'm more likely to sell my copy of the base game than to pay double or triple for a used copy of this expansion.

I think I'll sell it also and try to get German version from KOSMOS, because it is easier to find the expansion. It is a shame since my family and I really love this game. I guess the reason for not reprinting, this very often requested, item might be in IP rights domain (maybe I am wrong, but I don't think that a company would just refuse to make their product available when there is a serious demand)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cronin
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex, here's an idea,

How about a "deluxe" version with all expansions and a painted or similar cathedral.

If you build it, they will come...

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Billc63 wrote:
If you build it, they will come...

Or they will pay for it. At least Mayfair would hope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce P
Australia
flag msg tools
AlexYeager wrote:

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

For your information, I was about to purchase Pillars of the Earth (base game) with a look to perhaps getting the expansions latter. Finding this has stopped me from purchasing either.

Not saying it isn't the right business decision, but these things have flow on effects. I will also think carefully about future support from any of your game before purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LGLBruce wrote:
AlexYeager wrote:

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
For your information, I was about to purchase Pillars of the Earth (base game) with a look to perhaps getting the expansions latter. Finding this has stopped me from purchasing either.

Not saying it isn't the right business decision, but these things have flow on effects. I will also think carefully about future support from any of your game before purchase.

I'm sure they've done more than one cost/benefit analysis... plus it looks like, with CSI and Funagain being out of stock of the base game... that Mayfair has no more copies of the base game themselves in their warehouse... so you and no matter how many others aren't buying the base game because the expansion is no longer available (via normal distribution) doesn't matter right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S L
msg tools
They should include the expansion in the base game. It's so much more fun - no matter the number of players! We never play without the expansion. This is my favourite game to gift to friends, but without the expansion it's only a mediocre game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreamchaser wrote:
They should include the expansion in the base game. It's so much more fun - no matter the number of players! We never play without the expansion. This is my favorite game to gift to friends, but without the expansion it's only a mediocre game.

if it's reprinted they may very well bundle the expansion but as mayfair has already indicated, they aren't going to put the cart before the horse and reprint the expansion unless it makes financial sense for them.

however I'll disagree that the base game is mediocre w/out the expansion... the game is ranked

Board Game Rank: 159
Strategy Game Rank: 108

is this is for a now almost 8 year old title, and along with Caylus and Leonardo da Vinci, are the grand daddies of today's worker placement genre.

unless you want to play with 5 or 6 players, and I personally don't, the base game as the rank shows is a pretty good game, though obviously as you have indicated, ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy D
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found brand new copy at my local game store for $21.99 and bought it right away. Keep looking guys you're bound to find one some day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Casarotto
Brazil
Florianópolis
flag msg tools
Well, 2 more years and they will have an excuse to print a 10 year anniversary edition of the base game with the expansion included...
I guess we'll have to wait that long.

I've been wanting a 6-player worker placement euro, and both this and the age of empires III + exp are kinda rare these days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this is the sort of thing Kick Starter is for.

After hearing the Dice Tower guys talk this up so much I was going to buy a copy, but now.... I'll just find something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Well I followed my advice from my earlier post on this topic. I bought German (KOSMOS) version The Pillars of the Earth and The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set and even The Pillars of the Earth: New Craftsmen, and I am so happy with it.
Best of all, I wasn't robbed by some greedy re-seller for it.

And for the English version I started with, I will probably give it to someone as a present since we take really good care of our games and this one has zero damage; or I could even sell it, thus making costs total of getting German game even less.

Finding new English expansion with reasonable price is nigh impossible; that is why I suggest to anyone interested in this wonderful game to seek German version if language is not an absolute barrier. Besides those extra crafters mini-expansion in English version were part of the main expansion, so it is really hard to get it. German one was free with SpielBox magazine, and since it is a separate package it is easier to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhr78 wrote:
Well I followed my advice from my earlier post on this topic. I bought German (KOSMOS) version The Pillars of the Earth and The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set and even The Pillars of the Earth: New Craftsmen, and I am so happy with it.
Best of all, I wasn't robbed by some greedy re-seller for it.

lol, greedy re-seller? don't blame the re-seller... blame the buyers who have driven the market price up...

in any case having played PotE for the 1st time w/a German copy (English version wasn't out yet), unless you are paste'ing up all the cards, or can read German, this game imho is very language dependent.

fwiw the English (Mayfair) PotE Expansion includes the new craftsmen (though are there two different "new" craftsmen?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all want a reprint, thousands of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

What a snotty reply!!
This attitude towards your customers both fascinates and disgusts me.
Maybe you should employ a more customer focused and media savvy person to reply in forums like this because you sir have no skills in this area or indeed manners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Yeagar, I also would love to get the expansion. In fact, I'd even pay $60 or so to buy a new box with the base game bundled with the expansion if that's the only way to get it!

Chuck Waterman
Kumamoto, Japan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.