Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months back I posted about On Board Games Stats, and thought it might be time to share them again.

OP: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/809893/cold-calls-and-si...

Why am I sharing these numbers? I have no idea. And really I'm not sure how accurate they are. I'm pretty happy with our audience and audience size, though I find the bumps and dips interesting. Any idea why some episodes languish with lower numbers while others spike?

I suspect that podcast listener numbers have a few influencing factors:
- Is the name of the episode a draw
- Does the third chair impact the numbers
- Does the episode drop on or around a large event
- Is the topic of interest

Is the name of the episode a draw
I'm serious, the name of the episode probably has as much of an impact on the listener numbers as just about anything else we do. Sadly, Erik and I don't necessarily agree on what makes a good title. Since he's doing the heavy lifting with the editing, he gets naming rights.

Does the third chair impact the numbers
While the performance of the third voice is important, the actual person in the chair isn't as important as do they leverage their network and help spread the word. Having someone on with a large twitter following mention the show a couple of times or even someone with a moderate following who interacts with us via social media will help push the numbers.

That being said, we don't ask our guests to talk about our show to their fan base, we have them on the show to appeal to the listeners we already have. It's great when they do engage us, but that's not a focus.

Does the episode drop on or around a large event
If we drop an episode when everyone is at a large convention, or away on spring break, or during a hurricane, it will have an impact. Because we do a show every two weeks, and because so many of our listeners access our show from here on BGG or through onboardgames.net, it's possible that many people miss an episode without realizing it.

Is the topic of interest
Perhaps because we've been going so long, and people listen to hear me gripe or Erik be supportive, but the topic seems to be less important than all of the other contributing issues. Maybe people know we try to talk about something of interest, or that we sometimes offer spins they wouldn't have considered, but I suspect it's just because the people who consume On Board Games are more like friends than customers.

True, I don't hear from most of you, or get to talk to you directly, but you've probably heard so much of what I have said since the beginning of the podcast that some of you probably know more about my tastes and opinions than I do.

Stitcher stats:
Total Downloads 481
Total Plays 1,656

Libsyn Stats
OBG 93: The Game Remains the Same
2012-10-28

OBG 92: Cult of the Old
2012-10-14

OBG 91: Stephen Buonocore Takes Over the World
2012-10-01

OBG 90: Decisions, Decisions, Oh Pay Me
2012-09-17

OBG 89: We're All Such Good Sports
2012-09-03

OBG 88: The Rules of Rules
2012-08-20

OBG 87: Building Tournaments
2012-08-06

OBG 86: We're All His Vassals
2012-07-22

OBG 85: Kickstart my App
2012-07-09

OBG 84: The Dewey Game Collection Lifecycle
2012-06-24

OBG 83: Take Me Out to the Con Game
2012-06-10 19:32:00

Edit for typos 'n such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I download and listen to every episode no matter what.

Third chair and topic definitely effect my enjoyment of the show though, the other two not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Westerhausen
United States
Girard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also download and listen to every episode no matter what. Great podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rockinghorsedreams wrote:
I download and listen to every episode no matter what.

Third chair and topic definitely effect my enjoyment of the show though, the other two not so much.

This!

That being said there are other podcast that I listen or not, depending on the topic or the guest, or if I don't have other shows to listen I consider more interesting (like an OBG episode) so those things matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Jungle Podcast
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am subscribed and listen to every episode even though at time I would like to reach through the internets and just shake you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cardboard Jungle wrote:
I am subscribed and listen to every episode even though at time I would like to reach through the internets and just shake you

I encourage you to call us out when we are wrong. Our guild is an excellent place to grief us among friends. Hopefully we make you smile more than we enrage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Bumpus
United States
Utica
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, do all the iTunes listeners show up in Libsyn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Jungle Podcast
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt say you were necessarily wrong...I just want to shake you LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaking Don is a fun pastime of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bumpusth wrote:
Just curious, do all the iTunes listeners show up in Libsyn?

Yeah, I believe they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Any interest in another round of stats? If so I'll post them, if not I'll spend the time doing something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.