$10.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Variants

Subject: What about cards with simultaneous play instead of dice? Anyone try it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is a pretty cool game, but most of the time when I have played it people didn't like the randomness of the dice rolls for how fast you can go.

I am in the midst of arranging a trade for this game, and just thought about a way to maybe change this. Has anyone ever tried applying a deck for each gear instead of the dice?

I was thinking about it very quick and I don't have the dice numbers in front of me but say
5 cards for first gear 2,3,4,5,6
5 cards for second gear 5,6,7,8,9
6 cards for third gear 9,10,11,12,13,14
6 cards for fourth gear 14,15,16,17,18,19
6 cards for fifth gear 19,20,21,22,23,24
3 cards for sixth gear 26,29,32

Some overlaps in the low gears, so spaces in the high gears (since your moving fast and would have a tough time being exact)

The play would go something like this
-Everyone starts in 1st gear, simultaneous choice of cards, choose a card, reveal and move.
-Everyone chooses whether to shift up, down, or stay. Maybe this should be cards as well so you can't make your decision based on others.
-Everyone chooses a card from that gear and plays simultaneously

Used cards go in a personal discard pile for each gear. In gears 1 and 2, if when you only 2 cards are left in the discard pile at any time, once you play a 3rd card, make a decision on which of the 3 you want back in your hand.
In gears 3,4,5 you play until you have 1 card left in the gear (maybe 2, or 0) and then pick them all back up.
In gear 6, keep 2 in hand at all times, choosing what to take back like in the low gears.(Or maybe gear 6 is always a random draw of the 3)

I haven't really though about this too much, but other than maybe balancing some cards it should at least work, who knows about fun.

Then there could also maybe be some one time use cards that you discard such as a card to ignore a missed stop in a corner needing at least 2 stops (call it "the perfect line"), a card to add a couple of spaces to your card (nitro or wind at your back) Stuff like that.

Also you would probably have to balance the collisions etc since I bet without the dice to break up the pack people would stick a bit closer. Maybe you only collide if you were touching before AND after the card was played, like sticking too close.

Anyways pick apart this idea, make some amendment suggestions. Lets just agree to stay away from comments like
"Randomness is what makes Formula D fun"
"The Dice are the best part"
"That would be boring"
I personally hate playing dice games as I feel its out of my control, I think Formula D could be fun without the randomness and that for a certain type of player, switching to cards would be a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's an interesting alternative to using the rather clever gear dice mechanic. Though I never really saw Formula De as a racing game, but rather a Press your luck vs. careful Resource Management game. But I feel (this (particular) game would stale rather quickly when you remove the need to manage those precious elements in favor of a more precise/consistent move rate.
I believe Formula De as written rewards aggressive/play by the seat of your pants/all or nothing approach (or you end up in last).

I for one like Car racing games that use Card Driven mechanics. It's why I play the excellent Top Race/Dayton500/Detroit-Cleveland GP games & (to a lesser extent) QJet(ala Ave Caesar mechanics).

I also like racing games that give me more precision and less random where I pick the speed I wish to travel (a die roll only used on certain occasions) such as Speed Circuit and Waddingtons Formula 1.

I am wondering what it is that you like about Formula De? Is it the Graphical board and colorful pieces? Because it doesn't sound like the game for you and you'd be better off playing one of the ones I mentioned above.

~Floyd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The major problem I see in the idea is that, if you start behind a car, you can see where it's going. Simultaneous card selection & movement ignores this most basic aspect of 'racing'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True true

Yes Formula D isn't quite the game for me as is, that is why I am arranging to trade it. Alrighty then, I'm calling it quits for my Formula D days.

Edit: Actually I should say that I actually enjoyed the game for the most part, however I seemed to be the only one in either of my gaming groups that could say that so it never sees the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry mate! Hope you get a game that scratches your itch properly...

And as a note I liked the idea you came up with for the cards...

~F

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could work Formula D with cards - but you'd end up with an utterly different game. Quite possibly Speed Circuit ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Welch
United Kingdom
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say definitely speed circuit, I tried Formula d once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I switched from Formula D to Speed Rally a while back and have been quite happy with it: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/38987/speed-rall...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.