Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played WSIM once, a year or so ago, and I'm about to play it again, but I've forgotten a lot.

I want to play Scenario 2, Ranger v Drake. According to the Master Scenario Chart these ships are class S.

How do I know which type of counter to use for these ships?

Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are frigates, rather than ships-of-the-line. The actual ship ID numbers are:

America = 4301

Britain = 1301

The first number is for the ships nationality:
1 = Britain
4 = America

The second number is for the ship rate:
1 = Ship-of-the-line 1st-rate
2 = Ship-of-the-line 2nd-rate
3 = Frigate (large)
4 = Frigate (small) or Corvette
5 = Brig, Sloop or Schooner

The third & forth numbers are the ID digits, 01 = Ship number one, in our case, frigate number one for both nationalities.

There are smaller varieties, but these are the primary units in WSIM.

Have fun!

(edited to add content)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta, thanks for the help!

Do you happen to know how I could have come up with the counter numbers, 4301 and 1301, from the rule book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, just take a look at the lower-right of the front page, starting with section C, plus most of the second page. Everything you need to know about the ship counters is there, including the info from my post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I'm being dense, but from the Scenario description, how would I know that these are '3 - Frigate (large)'?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant the front page of the rule book, not the scenario description. It looks like I got the ship type wrong, as well, now that I've got the rules in front of me.

The scenario description tells you what kind of ships these are, in this case it looks like they are both sloops, or class S, under fifth rate ships from page 2 of the rule book. The master scenario chart also tells you these are class S for sloop, but not which ship IDs to use. You could potentially use any fifth rate ship counter for either nationality in this case.

So, using the info from my first post, the ships would be IDed as follows:

Britain = 1501

America = 4501

Apologies for the mistake in original ship ID, I should have gotten the game out and verified the info to begin with. My bad.

It's been a long time since I played WSIM, but now that it's out... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it.

There's no need for you to apologize! I'm very grateful for the help.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a somewhat different topic, I assume that 'Dir Nr' in the scenario charts is the starting orientation of the ships. Am I right?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. To clarify; 'Dir. Nr.' refers to the labeled wind hexagon on the game board, showing numbered edges in clockwise order 1, 2-3, 4, 5-6. The scenario list gives you a bow starting hex and 'Dir. Nr.' tells you which board edge to point the ship at from that bow hex.

(edited for clarity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta, thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.