Pete White
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. I think I'm talking myself into it. If PBEM VASSAL works for this one (some games just don't fit with the SofP), then I would really like to play this game. My problem is lack of time to play it out at the moment; maybe when I can free up some time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great conversation with the designer, Fred S, a couple of nights ago (for Guns, Dice, Butter). Think you SoJ fans will like it. Found out one rule we messed up: Judean forces can only fire at the unit(s) closest to them ("use the testudo formations as pin cushions" was Fred's quote) according to the rules (we missed that). Fred said the Judean forces didn't have fire discipline to pick and choose. That would have made a difference zombie ....a rematch is demanded! arrrh

An email I received from the designer:

"During our chat, you mentioned during your epic "pimped out" SIEGE OF JERUSALEM game, the mandatory targets rule may have been ignored?

That's Rule 9.7 (page 8) of the Rule Book... "MANDATORY TARGETS". Another sometime overlooked rule in the heat of battle in 9.31 "ERRANT ATTACKS".

Ignoring a possible "Errant Attack" from Roman artillery fire can help the boys from Team Roma; but if you were allowing the Judaens to ignore targets adjacent to them to shoot away at more lucrative distant hexes... no wonder Team Roma had such a tough time. Proper use of the "Mandatory Targets" rule is a crucial weapon in the arsenal for potential Roman success in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting article; Roman COIN:

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/they-make-a-solitude-an...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Had a great conversation with the designer, Fred S, a couple of nights ago

Man, what I would give for that ... laugh

Herr Dr wrote:
Found out one rule we messed up: Judean forces can only fire at the unit(s) closest to them ("use the testudo formations as pin cushions" was Fred's quote) according to the rules (we missed that). Fred said the Judean forces didn't have fire discipline to pick and choose. That would have made a difference zombie ....a rematch is demanded! arrrh

Ahh ... yes. Rematch ! Rematch ! Tell me when ... my schedule is flexible ... and my wife kiss has given her permission !

Not sure about the "pincushion" tactic though. Proper Judaean defenses can turn that Testudo into a lot of VP's. Sometimes it is better to throw that 2-10 into the Adjacent hex and sacrifice him first. Testudos are FHI ... which means more VP lost ... and the double Missile attack works best when they can hit the same target twice. Be careful here ... whistle

Herr Dr wrote:
An email I received from the designer:

[i]"During our chat, you mentioned during your epic "pimped out" SIEGE OF JERUSALEM game ...

Pimped out, indeed ! Those Wooden Walls were incredible. The 3-D unit designations were great ! The pix and narrative ... Man, I have read them over and over again. Can I bring out a few additions this summer ?

You are willing to play this summer, yes ?

Herr Dr wrote:
Another sometime overlooked rule in the heat of battle in 9.31 "ERRANT ATTACKS".

Perhaps it is my ASL mentality, but "ones" and "sixes" are always a wake up call. Errant Attacks are such a snot in the face to Roman arrows that they must never be missed. devil

Thanks for sharing this, Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred S will be on the next episode of Guns, Dice, Butter. Hopefully, I'll get that posted in the next week or so (still have a panel discussion to do).

Yes, we might have to have another SoJ session at the Source this summer: Roman honor must be avenged!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Fred S will be on the next episode of Guns, Dice, Butter. Hopefully, I'll get that posted in the next week or so (still have a panel discussion to do).

Yes, we might have to have another SoJ session at the Source this summer: Roman honor must be avenged!

Indeed !

Would love to be a part of that.

I'll bring the beer.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.