Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
92 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 17 - Campaign Completed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG, time for another session report - except this time, its a new session altogether! Our original advanced campaign is not over but mostly on a small hiatus; that is, we will play this new campaign when we are short a player and the old one when we have a full group, and use what we have learned in the original one here. That said, we may have a restart soon for the first one but that is nowhere here or there... because this is here! Campaign #2!

Pregame setup

This campaign is being played by just two people, once again I'll be the Overlord and forum poster Section_8 will play the four heroes. The expansions used are once again all of them, with SoB dungeons and applicable rumours added in. No SoB skills though.

Hero Draw method was pick a hand of 3, then another separate hand of 3, four times altogether. Then you look at each hand and decide who you want to pick from there. Turns out it worked really well, I think there is a fair and very fun group to play here. Our starting lineup is Landrec the Wise, Laurel of Bloodwood, Nara the Fang and Runewitch Astarra. There was some great heroes pulled, but this looked like a good solid team to have, great even.

As far as skills go, much much better than our original campaign. In the original, I let some SoB skills get into the mix and I think it clogged up the choices a bit and gave them less quality to pick from. Not to say everyone got great stuff, but some good stuff here. Landrec wound up with Boggs the Rat, which is my first time playing against him and wow what a difference he makes in these maps. No free swarm kills thats for sure, I gotta work for them now. With Laurel being able to convert extra range to damage, it was great she got Marksman to start out with. With the first two starting strong luck balanced a bit more for me with Nara getting Relentless as her best choice, and Astarra didn't get anything good for a runner but got the great early skill of Blessing to begin with. Good combo setups with Laurel too with that one.

To round out the dark side of things, I wanted to play The Great Wyrm in this campaign, in case you couldn't tell from the subject line. For my free initial 15xp upgrade I felt I couldn't go wrong with the standard Siege Engines, and my plot this time is Obsidian Shackles.

On to the goodstuff.

Descent Session Report: Descent Campaign Tracker

The Long Road Ahead
Both heroes and overlord, feeling good about a fresh start in a campaign, venture off to do their thing. The heroes begin the first blitz to Starfall Forest and pull the Opera of the Forsaken. Its a multiple room floor with a big pipe organ in one of them. If an adjacent monster is by it, it is playing it and does some damage to the heroes in the room. The boss was also a sorcerer by the way. Not too much to say here, the heroes blitzed well and I got a poor card draw (especially after being spoiled by Into My Parlor from the previous campaign) and ran largely without major battles. The annoyance of Boggs the Rat also had to be mentioned, it was my first time playing against him and I couldn't really get any useful spawns from it. Coupled with the heroes wrecking the pipe organ room, nearly getting a kill on Laurel but her escaping to the temple in the nick of time, and the Master Sorcerer failing his first and only Undying roll, the emboldened heroes elected to press on to the next level. I did however get a Curse token on Nara from a master Dark Priest.

Church of the Great Old Ones

Next we pulled The Monastery. Its a neat map, there's 6 immobile villagers that score bonus points if they stay alive when the heroes advance to the next level via the portal, and the boss demon will only spawn if all the villagers die so the monsters must go for them first instead of heroes. Cool beans. Well, here I made both a grievous tactical error and the heroes made a stellar play for it. In a nutshell, I lined up a row of Skeletons and Dark Priests as a firing line while a couple heroes tried to run block for my shots. Little did I know what was coming. On Nara's turn he swapped out his Axe for his Reach weapon and pulled a Feat that gave him Sweep as well. This attack was going to destroy every model of mine on turn 2 (minus a deep elf with Shadowcloak, but still) off the map. I was able to get a Dodge against the massive attack that even had a power potion on it, but it was to no avail. One whirlwind of a spin annihilated the whole map. Ouch. I would get my saving grace though, while the heroes left to advance to the portal and swat away my little angry elf that managed a kill on Nara before it died (my first of the campaign, woot), one snuck up to the sarcophagus that would spawn the boss and loot it for treasure with a small chance of it popping a master sorcerer. Well half the team left and I got the sorcerer to spawn. I got some pot shots on Astarra before she left while trying to also shoot at the villagers to lower the bonus for escaping with them successfully but I couldn't quite kill her.... yet. I managed to sneak a Bane Spider spawn in there and the master one managed to Web up the escaping Runewitch. The other heroes made it to the portal but she got gummed up and died, and I managed to take some villagers down in the process. The heroes would take a peek at the next map and then decided to flee saving me the effort to build it, electing to gear up back in Tamalir.

Remembering where you last left your Cove

Taking a week in Tamalir to do some shopping and buying a rumor too (turned out to be Hunting the Wyrm. My group only fought Ice Wyrms once and found it a terrifying experience... this rumor is likely to be ditched but time will tell). They purchased the all-important Staff of the Wild and got a little kit for themselves too. For now, off they went to the Thelsvan Highway to find The Forgotten Cove. This was a simple map with tight quarters and a boss Naga in the center, pretty close in to the entrance. Some areas in the dungeon floor would give bonuses to damage and movement and some penalties, based on where they started their turn. Boss Naga could pull a double attack on a hero once per turn that started in a penalty area. Neato. Well, once again I under estimated the power of the heroes. I blocked the path up well to let my Naga slither on down... but not only did they punch a critical hole where they needed and jump over my spike pit obstacles but they bopped my boss before it could get a shot off. Hrm, I think I'm going to need to get back into the swing of things, with having a month off from this game heh. For what its worth, I thought it was a suicide effort to even push at this boss at all and I was even suggesting to flee while they could. Little did I know they had a power potioned feat pulling suicide bomber in Landrec... who didn't even need to die. Crazy old bugger. Later as they explored the rest of the floor for loot, I pulled a nasty little Beastmen spawn around a corner aiming on killing Astarra in one round. Just as I got near, she pulled a feat for Aura 4 that would have killed the beastmen if they stepped too close. I had to change my target, but it did mean revenge against Landrec for a kill, so I'm not too upset.

A Tabletop song of Fire and Ice

With our time left to play this session dwindling down we opt to try one more floor and see how it goes. We drew Fire and Ice, which has a big fork in the road with a large room to each end. One is a Hellhound with ice bonuses, the other a fire boosted one that does extra Burn damage. Seemed easy enough right? Heh, well, no it wasn't for the heroes. It didn't take long before they were besieged on both sides of the fork with both bosses and the rest of the minions swarming them. It looked like a Total Party Kill at one point, but Astarra did finally go down. The rest of the heroes beat feet and managed to flee, not without stopping for a little bit of a temple heal in the process though. Ah well!

Conquest Standings
For a bit it was looking bleak for the Overlord, the heroes did a good job of blitzing and were staying ahead in the conquest standings. Initially beating me 3-1 I managed to start evening it up a bit, but they still finished ahead. Heroes 21, Overlord 17.

Heroes - Section_8 - Rumor: Hunting the Wyrm
Landrec the Wise - Boggs the Rat
Equipment Immolation, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave
2 Power Potions
3 Black Dice

Laurel of Bloodwood - Marksman
Equipment Sling, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor, Ring of Protection
2 Power Potions
2 Black Dice

Nara the Fang - Relentless
Equipment Axe, Walking Stick, Chain Mail
2 Power Potions
3 Black Dice

Runewitch Astarra - Blessing
Equipment Immolation, Iron Shield x2, Leather Armor
1 Power Potion
3 Black Dice

The Great Wyrm - Deadsider - Obsidian Shackles
Beast Level: Copper
Eldrich Level: Copper
Humanoid Level: Copper
Event: 0, Monster: 0, Trap: 0
Traitors Abound, Siege Engines, Sir Alric Farrow

Where to go from here
Well for starters, we are expecting another session the next day as its a long weekend here, so you'll have another one to read soon. And I personally am glad I got this big template of a first post done, all those links are tiresome to do even if they look good! That all said, I think it was a fine start for both sides. I think this group of heroes is stronger overall partially due to composition but moreso player experience. And I will also concede I have one of the weaker Avatars compared to my last Campaign. That said, I do have a couple longterm goals. For starters, I want to see the Final Battle. This is a major reason I took this Avatar and plot, and that is I want to pump up to what I think is the strongest possible fight and see what happens. Armor boosts, fear, avatar only upgrades you name it. I only hope I don't gimp myself too much in the process but time will tell. In the short term though I will definitely upgrade Beasts as the first thing I do, and probably Lady Eliza soon after that. I'm not sure how many places I can raze (or even threaten to raze, I see the tough map positioning I have to work with) but I do hope I get enough CT over the campaign to actually deliver a max or near max power Avatar in the end. Call it an experiment..... OF FUN!

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 1
Some side notes:

- The first sorcerer would not have died in the first volley had Landrec not played a feat to apply three burn tokens. Sorcerer got down to three wounds, failed to stop drop and roll, and failed to Save vs. Death by Napalm. Mwah ha ha. Also, Ratbert is best rear guard ever.

- Floor two SHOULD have annihilated the team. We were gummed up in a one-space wide corridor due to a block, a pit, two minions and the boss Naga with his constricty ways. On top of that, this level had temporal distortion fields that slapped attack penalties on all the heroes. With Miss Runesalot in a pit about to get stomped by three guys, I sent in Landrec on a suicide strike against the naga, which he failed because he didn't die. Stupid Landrec. Miss Runesalot was so stunned by this show of blatant stupidity that she whiffed her next attack.

- Dungeon two was glorious, as Nara's Epic Berserker Whirlwind attack cleared the map. Except for that stupid elf who got the most ridiculous damage roll ever. Everything would have went smoothly had Miss Runesalot not gotten webbed mere inches from the exit, forced to watch in horror as the villagers were cruelly cut down before her. Since it was getting silly (she had ONE WOUND, 11 poison tokens, no armour and two attackers next to her, and the DM was debating whether to just kill her or pick off the surprisingly tough villagers), we ruled that she could attack herself and she blew her own head off.

- The next floor consisted of a frictionless floor that sent anyone who stepped on it sliding into a pit or 3,000 guys and a boss flamethrowing hell-dog separated from us by a paper-mache door. Operation "Smash and Grab" soon became "GET TO MEDICAL! GET TO MEDICAL!" as Miss Runesalot got nuked first turn and we got swarmed by the contents of the Batcave. Did manage to trip up the DM with a Nara on Guard with Reach, but that was a mess for sure.

- Have determined that Laurel's special ability involves expending a fatigue point so that she throws her arrows harder.

- Grey Ker still sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 2
Hello again BGG, time for our second update to our second campaign... now including visual aids!

Inter networked Trolling

On the way out to Blackwing Swamp, we had our inaugural encounter for this campaign. A boss Troll with two normal trolls were asking for lunch money to pass when the group wanted to save for the Boat and Secret Trainings, and not shockingly they didn't elect to pay the toll. In my group, we have bad luck with trolls and their Bash ability so confidence in them wasn't exactly high. I had a few good chances to attack the heroes, and I was selective on how many power dice to add as I didn't want the whole attack to miss. I started with caution, 3 black, 2 black, 1 black... no luck. Every attack missed by bash's crit miss. So the very last Troll when it was about to go down, I said screw it and put all dice on it and hoped for the best on the healthiest and strongest target. Every power dice hit for what was about to be over 15 wounds at pierce 6... but oh hey, red dice missed. Arg. Not a single monster hit and the heroes walked this one easily.

Dem Bones

Arriving at Blackwing Swamp the dungeon floor was the House of the Unholy. What it basically was a twisty turny mess of skeletons with a boss one that can't move. His move consists of switching places with a hero or skeleton, so you could teleport sort of around the map. The main thing was there was a lot of figures and the most important thing was all the skeletons were given Undying too. Quite a gauntlet of shots even if they are little copper skellies, check it out here:

So anyway after nearly doing a crazy suicide effort to rush the boss from turn 1, the heroes advanced more cautiously and went back to proper blitzing. Highlights include irrational, playfully spiteful and poor decisions by all parties lol. What basically happened was the heroes cleared it without many problems except Astarra dying once and some minor skeletons being an Undying pest (the boss dropped first try of course). The fun stuff was me debating on another killer Beastmen War Party or spawning some Ferrox. Now I do like beastmen as they are my favorite hit squad, but I like ferrox a lot too as their Bleed effect is great on tougher high armor targets. Thus I picked ferrox and put the master near tank Nara and the minor one by Astarra which lead to her aforementioned death. It wasn't a good call because Nara nearly one shot it after it missed and the normal one didn't one shot Astarra and it was a protracted fight there. So I had an angry Battling and fatigue exerting Nara chasing the master who I fended off with not one but two Crushing Blocks to whittle him away and buy time. It was pretty silly but fun after all. Oh, I did get Brilliant Commander out though.

Dem Bones, part 2

So after the fun with annoying Undying skeletons what could be more fun than The Skeleton's Keep dungeon? Here was another heavy skeleton room, or more importantly two skeleton bosses with extra health but a shared wound system and doing extra damage if they both wound a target. Well the heroes basically looked at it and decided right then to leave but not before Astarra was to run out into the blue, past a corridor blocking master Ogre (from Brilliant Commander) from a flying feat and grab some gold piles and pop a glyph in an effort to escape but expecting suicide. Well on my turn I spawned those beastmen and she got swarmed. Here's the beastmen saying hi and soon the rest of Dem Bones finished her off, and then the rest fled.

Hard Decisions about the Evil Knight

I think I had forgotten to mention, but I had trudged Sir Alric out from my keep in the far south northward to Dawnsmoor and had begun the siege. The heroes were none to happy with a siege taking place just outside of their home city and losing easy access to good skills like Acrobat and Taunt and was thinking about making an attempt to chase him off. Originally the plan was to buy the Enchanted Boat and head over to get copper's Secret Training done early, but instead decided to take the time to buy the Boat and train dice in the city to try and take on Alric before a successful raze happened. Seemed like a good plan, except for a snag; I just made 25 CT and upgraded my Beasts. Undaunted as last campaign the first upgrade was Eldritch and we weren't too sure how silver beasts would be, off they went to try and stop him anyway. Yet, there was another fiery and spiky snag.

Fire Beatles? Can't buy me love...

Got an encounter of A Hot Time at a Stormy Stream. Basically it was our group's biggest joke of a monster, Lava Beetles, as the sole creature during it. The heroes scoffed, until it became an ambush where heroes start Asleep. Remembering our first campaign and how important it is for the hero on watch to wake the group before they get run over with monsters, runner Astarra stepped up to the plate. She took off her weapon and decided to slap the tank Nara with a basic melee dice... which she did for maximum damage. Hell I can't usually get those wounds with most monsters at this point, it was a welcome bonus. She managed to wake him and the rest of the heroes and they wondered if they should start and fight or flee. They fought, saw the massive boost in monster toughness for beasts and decided to bolt it. Our treasure chests have not been kind for weapons, everyone but Landrec still has a shop weapon. After doing some massive damage to the party they just decided to bolt it outright. Good call I must admit, as adjusting to silver creatures again requires some practice for sure.

Rumor Has it...

In the old campaign and new, our group has not attempted to complete a rumor dungeon yet. Before it was mostly because it was deemed too dangerous, but the rationale behind making an attempt on a dungeon reward you are not totally crazy over (but still, would like) lead the heroes to try out the nearby one instead of picking a fight with Alric. After getting a rough beating from the Lava Beetles and realizing Alric will come with a complement of beasts while everyone is not at full strength, a wise decision was made to not try and chase him away and risk giving me too much conquest. Instead, we tried the rumor dungeon and if it went well, who knows maybe a reward at the end for its completion. At the Flametail River just north of Dawnsmoor we would draw the dungeon The Bridge of Death. Sounds so inviting. This map was a large one with a narrow path with instant death pits, full of Razorwings and a Manticore. All silver beasts no less, the boss being a razorwing with a chance at getting Knockback to toss someone into a pit for instant death. Yikes. The gameplan was to approach cautiously and have runner Astarra get some loot, but simply put it didn't work. She got a gold pile but didn't make the exit, and the very quick razorwings with improved dice took Nara down too. Two losses by the end of my second turn. Ouch. First floor of the rumor dungeon didn't go well, so the heroes decided not to let me have anymore easy conquest and fled. So much for that rumor.

Back to the grind

On the first raze roll with the plot boost, Dawnsmoor fell on the first try. Woo! Deciding to abort the rumor wasn't a hard decision, and with party coffers practically dry they decided to blitz more. On the way over to Red Echo River we got another outdoor encounter, this time The Hammer Brothers at Ancient Oaks. However, it was an ambush and the heroes were caught sleeping again. Deciding the old method of alarm clocks was the best, Astarra took watch, removed her main weapon and bopped big tough Nara with her single melee red dice. Oh, and hit for max damage again, geez. Her battle attempt on a sleeping Landrec? Crit miss of course. Eventually he woke and Laurel woke the next turn on her own, but it did look a little threatening for a minute there:

In the end, I made no kills and despite a couple lucky undying rolls I still came back empty handed, and the heroes had a total victory here. Can't win em all I suppose.

Conquest Standings
There was a moment where the kills started to come easier for me and we were neck and neck... but pulling some good easy victories in encounters sealed the deal for heroes to keep the lead. Heroes 39, Overlord 33.

Heroes - Section_8 - Rumor: None
Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave
2 Power Potions
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Equipment Sling, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor, Ring of Protection
2 Power Potions
4 Black Dice

Equipment Axe, Walking Stick, Chain Mail
2 Power Potions
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Equipment Immolation, Iron Shield x2, Leather Armor
1 Power Potion
3 Black Dice

Beast Level: Silver
Traitors Abound, Siege Engines, Sir Alric Farrow

Where to go from here
For the heroes, more of the grind I think. The big thing is trying to reverse their bad luck and pull some weapons better than the shop gear, although we know its not much of a jump. That's the main weakness there, but it was great they got some dice upgrades. As for me, Lady Eliza Farrow may show soon, or possibly some event treachery. It is pretty cool that Crushing Blow is in my cheap upgrade category and it could definitely be the defense I need for my LTs. Still though, I have an awful lot of map moves to make before I can get some sieges going so maybe Eliza is the better pick. We'll see how next week goes.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Am seriously looking forward to at least POSSIBLY maiming a lieutenant, as Laurel of Caber-Tossing is now slightly obscene due to dice.

Miss Runesalot is now nicknamed Deathpuncher.

Landric simply refuses to commit suicide. He does a suicide battle double blast against an undying, regenerating troll (ogre?) and explodes the crap out of it. He then gets hammered by the other undying, regenerating ogre (troll?), slammed into a tree, and STILL nearly kills the thing from Aura — and would have had I not reminded the DM to stop being stupid.

Not mentioned above was the incident where the entire party spent two turns chasing after a stupid skeleton who refused to die, and Nara taking two blocks to the head in her repeated attempts to smash yet another whack-a-mole-like Ferrox.

Grey Ker sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also thanks for the tips fellow Descenters.... I finally got a microbadge and I'm more excited for it than I should be lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Some tactical comments

- Silver Beasts are much underestimated. But with SoB levels included they have more than their word to say, and in particular Razorwings become rather tough and rather common. And biggies (Nagi, Manticores) become really dangerous.

- Laurel shouldn't have been allowed to kill herself. The rules explicitly forbid this, and one of the main reasons is to let the OL doing his dark task while a hero is webbed / grappled / stunned / cornered, but not killed.

- Don't forget to count the extra CP when the heroes open a chest.

- The Wyrm should buy event treachery as soon as possible. There are many interesting cards in there, the well-known Crushing Blow but also Enrage, which can change a battle (try this on a Silver Manticore), and for two treachery you have Ambush, which will surely do.

- Did you realize that Nara is the best hero to fight the Wyrm ? Try destroying Vynelvale before she gets Weapon Mastery. And don't forget killing Olmric (no Rapid Fire for Laurel)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, feedback is always appreciated. I like to see where we went wrong... or right.

-The silver beasts right now feel stronger than the Eldritch were in the previous campaign. Maybe not on a one-for-one basis, but that durability easily makes for more damage especially as the heroes are on mostly shop weapons still. So good!

-Yeah I thought so too about Laurel, I guess it was a moment of pity as I did reduce the villagers down (but not to 0, as I may well could have) before she died in that battle. However from a role playing perspective it amused me more to see the wannabe heroes run away, while one of their members was captured and forced to watch people die... and in such disgust and contempt, take her own life. That's some serious drama there, but we will discuss this again should it come up.

-Yep, the Descent Campaign Tracker already does the extra CT point. I'm often saying one or twice a session how I love that website and what things it adds for campaign tracking.

-I totally agree about the treachery, its probably the Wyrm's biggest strength as it is. Those Event cards are painful, and for just a measly 3 treachery a LT could come with Crushing Blow, Danger, Rage x2, and a Charge on top of it all. Also, for 15 CT there's trap treachery to add some Crushing Blocks and Dark Charm goodness. Lots of options there, but I'm such a fan of Eliza...

-Actually to be honest, I kind of forgot to take the hero party into consideration with my overall gameplan, big mistake there agreed. Still, I don't think its a waste of time to max the final battle as some luck with Brother Against Brother could make the difference too even if there's ways around that. And yes, if I can stop Olmric before they can make use of it, I will. If they keep the conquest lead, there will be no realistic way to get razed city skills as the silver legendary dungeon will not be an option.

Thanks for the feedback, love to hear more from people as this campaign moves on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 3
Hello again BGG, here's our AC in round 3!

The Masked Beastman Commander

Making their way into Red Echo River to try and delve the dungeons for some sweet loot and conquest points, our intrepid heroes pulled Mask of the Monster. In it the boss was a master beastman with a temporary immunity to ranged and melee (not magic) with an extra command level calling the shots for the group of nasties. I was a little sad that I didn't get a map that favored my silver level beasts, but had to make do with copper creatures. Before long both sides were warring in a bottleneck of a corridor but my weak minions were getting whittled down slowly. I had the boss in the pack trying to boost the group's attacks with hit and run tactics under Command boosts, and did some damage despite having some regular beastmen and sorcerers having to run block to the likes of the hard hitting Laurel and Landrec. Now normally I would count Nara among them too, but the last session ended with a lot of wounds on the heroes so they started out a bit delayed with some quick temple healing. Nara tried to rush out to rejoin the fray but a turn 0 draw of Danger meant I had tricks to play from the start, and he wound up falling in a pit delaying his precious time. However, Laurel is plenty strong at taking out the fodder and soon Landrec caught up to do some boss killing of his own. Here's a picture of an emboldened Laurel facing off against my minions for added drama!

Ultimately though it was pretty simple for the heroes to pass this floor, what with it being mostly copper minions and all (only threat was a silver naga really). I did score a kill on the Runewitch however, but most importantly I did get a power out; Brilliant Commander. At some point here as well the heroes went to the tavern and found the rumor, The Creature, and placed it at The Hanging Woods.

Always bet on Nara

Next floor we pulled Divide and Conquer, another dungeon not in my favor for creatures. This time a master skeleton that creates normal skeletons infinitely until he dies, and the portal door that could only be opened by two heroes stepping on ? tiles across the map... however doing so will pop the remaining normal skeletons to a bone heap that could result in more treasure. Gee, I'm sure these weak skeletons will wreck a strong party right? Nope. Two highlights were Astarra running off to pop a treasure chest which turned out to be a Mimic who tried to get a cheap shot kill on her... who missed and died promptly. And then she died to a spawned Beastmen war party. The other highlight was using Brilliant Commander to take a master upgrade and I had very poor choices to do, so I made an Ogre a master as it gave it Undying. Well Nara wrecked one with his extra damage against large creatures and the master knew better than to get up again after that ass kicking and stayed down. Heroes took it easily and did get a bone heap or two to become treasure chests. Also at this point they finally began to get some actual treasure now. Lucky dogs. I should also mention I got my favorite power out earlier on the floor as well, Evil Genius. Now, I was stuck with Commander and Genius and I really needed better luck to stop these heroes...

Pitted against a flying fiend... or five

For the final floor, we drew Pit Fiend, which had some moving pits that never really got much use in our game but finally.... finally I got a floor with some good beasts. The boss was a master razorwing, the floor came with a lot of extra razorwings, and one lone manticore that I commandered up into a Master. Now we're talking! Now this map had mostly two branching paths. One that lead into a big room and another that lead around a bend to the portal door. The key thing here strategically was the other glyph was far out and gone, and the heroes decided to try this level after a little apprehension on whether to attempt it honestly or not. Well a turn or so in I spawned some ever so sturdy silver Blood Apes which are fantastic at soaking up wounds and blocking up corridors. It also helped me that my Overlord deck was getting close to exhausted and I was getting the second wind from my cards finally, oh and the heroes bunched up nicely for me (shown here).

What happened on my turn was a Dark Charmed Nara would rip the head off of Landrec for a kill and then the Blood Apes would start blocking off the corridors. Next thing you knew, the crazy speedy flying razorwings swooped in for passing shots to block off the exits to the glyph they came in from, boss included. Check out this near nightmare scenario!

I was pretty confident I could make a Total Party Kill or come awfully close. I wound up getting my boss 'wing getting ganked by Nara (live dangerously, woo!) thus unlocking the exit for the level, then busting up Nara in the process and Runewitch Astarra. However despite tossing a Crushing Block and a Spike Pit at the speedy Laurel she did manage to escape down the far corridor by the skin of her teeth, getting the glyph and taking the portal out on the way despite leaving a horde of creatures behind her (and I missed decking out my cards by one turn, boo). They also took the free trip back to Tamalir. Between our old campaign and this new one, this is the first party victory in a dungeon. Congratulations to them, but I will not make the same mistake of getting cocky with a boss in a swarm like this again! I hope.

To Challenge a Knight

Next up in the order of business, was for me to decide on what to upgrade. Both sides gained a lot of CT in the last dungeon, and I decided I needed an extra turn to get my purchase of Lady Eliza Farrow out and about to menace the world instead of a point of Treachery. The heroes seemed to plan on going to Olmric's Hut for secret training, so it seemed sensible enough. Eliza moved to the southeast of the map while Alric moved from the razed Dawnsmoor towards Tamalir, presumably to try to terrorize the north of the map. I was rather shocked when the heroes decided to challenge Alric on the way over to Olmric's Hut but I had to admit their reasoning was sound: no treachery, full health, almost max power potions and a bunch of feats. I did seem to miscalculate on my upgrades perhaps.

Just like in the comic books, the villain...

Our LT encounter being Frozen Pass, I had hoped to start my half silver beast loadout to block some attacks and go some damage and hope to steal some easy kills to either give the heroes pause or maybe Alric a chance to show what he's made of. Here's how it looked, and keep in mind on this map all water spaces are treated as Ice.

The plan was to have the Hellhounds run block and breath away some wounds while a hero or two possibly slips on the ice, with razorwings for cleanup, beastmen to run block, a sorcerer to snipe and Alric to laugh and berate the weak heroes from safety in the rear. Well, problem was no hero would ever slip on the ice when I needed it, although none of my important figures would either (just one beastman). Next problem was neither hellhound managed to get a shot off, this was an issue. However, the so dangerous flying razorwings flew over the bottleneck that happened in the middle of the map and sniped at Landrec, bringing him down to a paltry two wounds. A turn or so later, I remembered that Doom! was in play and that I probably would have killed him if I caught that. Damn. Also as I write this report, I realized that range to the soaring razorwings was never accounted for, I might have scored a kill with them for that too. Hrm, going to have to watch that next time. Anyways carrying on, the creatures would eventually get worn out and Landrec would fall behind partially due to lower movement but also being the lone hero who slipped on the ice. Alric readied Dodge and would move his way towards the exit, but Nara and Astarra caught up to him before he left. The issue was I really wanted to get a kill or two, but with four heroes at this level of power even a full health Alric wasn't going to last long... so I tried anyway. As Astarra got close, I had Sir Alric Battle and swat down Astarra in two attacks like the Overlord's Champion that he is! He took some damage back for it but a bad roll meant it was nothing he couldn't Regenerate. The next turn was slowly moving backwards using threat, while readying Dodge and tossing out attacks at Laurel who had now just joined the fight. And why she is facing backwards in this picture I have no idea.

With Alric scoring low damage rolls against the Ghost Armor wearing Laurel it wasn't looking like I could get a kill but I kept trying. Nara's armor was too high and had too much health and Laurel was also healthy on top of the fatigue she had to burn away for Ghost Armor. In the end I decided to move and ready dodge, standing at full health one space away from the exit. What happened next had me squirming in my seat, I hoped he could live against the onslaught of Nara and Laurel, hope I didn't miscalculate anything. On the hero turn, Nara and Laurel went hard with battle actions and power potions, and did I believe 20 out of his 30 wounds in damage. Haha, I knew I'd make it! Then the out of range Landrec pulls a feat to bring him into the action up close with a battle action. OH NO! I hadn't planned for this, this could kill him! First roll comes in for big damage. With my dodge in play I make the reroll choices but bam, still good damage. Alric is only about 4 or so wounds away from biting it. Second roll comes in, its enough to kill. I get the dodge in and make the rerolls happen and..... CRIT MISS!! The heroes felt so defeated with that one and I was jumping around to have gotten lucky enough to escape with my LT. With Landrec in range to punch for just two wounds to kill I did that with an advance but missed, so I just took my LT flee and wiped the sweat from my brow. Curse you Landrec, I'll get you next time!

Conquest Standings
After a brutal first two levels of the dungeon getting practically nothing, the final level gave me some kills so I didn't get left behind in the conquest war. But as per usual, the heroes have kept the slimmest of leads. Heroes 60, Overlord 55.

Heroes - Section_8 - Rumor: The Creature
Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave
2 Power Potions
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Equipment Falcon's Claw, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor, Ring of Protection
1 Fatigue Potion
4 Black Dice

Equipment Dragontooth Hammer, Walking Stick, Chain Mail, Belt of Strength
2 Power Potions
1 Healing Potion

2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Equipment Immolation, Iron Shield x2, Leather Armor, Gauntlets of Power, Crystallize
3 Black Dice

Lieutenants: Sir Alric Farrow, Lady Eliza Farrow
Upgrades: Traitors Abound, Siege Engines

Where to go from here
Well the heroes are officially on a roll now. Getting some better kit from the chests has helped, and now they have a bankroll of around 4000 gold to play with, the CT to get secret training, and some dice on top of that. And just like the previous campaign I came one crit miss dice away from losing my LT, you'd think I'd learn by now. Well, hopefully I have. Next time out I'll definitely be taking some good old treachery and might yet have to spend a bit more on that than I want (saving for other things), but man they really need some extra defense. I clearly remember telling the heroes that they were crazy for taking on the LT but I guess the moral of the story for Overlord players is remember that heroes can pull off some crazy stunts even when you think they can't, a definite "expect the unexpected" situation. That all said, its not over by a long shot. Bwahaha!

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Dr. Doom there got darn lucky, especially since Laurel almost got to shoot him with a +8 range feat in play. Stupid ice.

Not entirely convinced the battle would have gone much different if Landric had died or we'd remembered the soaring rules. Laurel and Nara were STACKED and Doom was letting his hatred of Reed Richards cloud his judgement. Also, the only exit was behind Doom; we couldn't flee even if we wanted.

We have concluded that Landrick is the Incredible Hulk, since the more damage he takes, the stronger he seems to hit. He would have nuked Doom had it not been for that damned miss.

I have also concluded that Nara is the Guy From Doom since she slaughters giants so easily. "You're HUGE! That means you have HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!"

I will also note that, just as a gag, on the infinite skeleton level I had Laurel equip the mace of knockbackery to punt the boss skeleton into Nara's lap. Ha!

Last floor of that dungeon was a comedy of errors on my part. Flubbed positioning of Miss Runesalot so her Sparks of Pain covered all of two squares, and had Nara in front of Landork, which made his guard useless and his head missing after a bit of Dark Charm.

Previous writers have correctly noted that Miss Runesalot should not have been able to kill herself. I argued that it should go through because she had one health left, had intentionally removed her armour, was surrounded by goons, and was distraught at the sight of the surprisingly dedicated monks being slaughtered before her. Plus, it was funny.

Am I forgetting something? Oh, right: Grey Ker sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This happened during the Lt fight...

Deadsider wrote:
In the end I decided to move and ready dodge, standing at full health one space away from the exit.

I don't think Lt's actually get ready actions. Pg. 16 of the RTL rulebook only says that Lt's get Battle and Run actions, in addition to the advance action all monsters get.

Quote:
Third, a lieutenant in an encounter may “Battle” (attack twice
without moving) and “Run” (move up to twice its speed with
attacking) as heroes do.

I almost didn't post this because this would change the not just the outcome of the encounter, but the rest of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ pg19
Avatars and lieutenants may make a Ready action, placing a Guard, Dodge, or Aim order on themselves. However, they may not use a Guard token to interrupt an opposing player’s Guard token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woot!!! Corbon saves the day! I had completely missed that in the FAQ. Thank you sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm really glad that was added into the FAQ. For one, its really cool to have a figure that is on equal footing to heroes options, and whats more it gives the OL some practice time with Ready orders if it makes it to the Avatar fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I've noticed so far is that you usually end up putting up a dodge whenever you ready an action. It mitigates the most damage in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 4
Another week another update... except I also updated the original campaign for a small whimper, all while this one goes on with a bang. Now playing our 1v1 campaign with a fuller complement of players (back to our old group strength of 3) we welcomed back our extra man. On to the reporting!

Getting the Band back together again
First off, we had to split the heroes. Forum poster Section_8 would take control of Laurel and Runewitch Astarra, while returning player Kensei took over Nara the Fang and Landrec. Interestingly, the hero split was pretty much the same roles as they played in our first AC, so there is definitely some familiarity coming back in with some experience. After getting caught up to speed, away we went.

What Treachery is this?

Starting the session at the top of a game week, I moved Alric out of my keep since his flee from his last fight to Smokblue Hills while sweet Lady Eliza moved into Vynelvale, and I rounded it off remembering to get my first Treachery of the campaign: Event Treachery. Beware Crushing Blow!

The Maddest Martigan

On the way over to a dungeon to delve for treasure, got a simple encounter; The Circle of Doom which was at Peaceful Glade. Honestly it wasn't a very interesting encounter, a group of Sorcerers on the attack, with all heroes starting the encounter with a Stun token on everyone. This pretty much made sure I didn't get rocked first turn if I wanted to rush with my sorcerers, and what with the last LT encounter leaving a few heroes really weak (Landrec with 2 wounds for example), I played aggressively and was rewarded: Landrec went down and I also got another kill from Astarra. The boss didn't make use of Undying but at this point I'm used to it in this campaign. Onward to better things...?

No Quarter Asked, No Quarter Given

Onward to Bitter Downs towards Secret Training, the heroes decided to go for some loot in an effort to maximize gains at Olmric's Hut. We drew No Quarter which was a big boon for me. Finally some silver beasts! The boss was a razorwing and there was some sorcerers and a master beastman as well. The boss was buffed with Web, Fear 1 and Undying so it looked promising. The layout was simple with two branching corridors, one to a blue runedoor and the other a standard door. I loaded up almost everything behind the normal door. Heroes started with guard actions on point near the door, and some creatures died soon as the door opened when they tried to step through as you might imagine. Despite that it did not go that well for the heroes. I took out Astarra and soon after Landrec, for the first time in this campaign taking 2 kills on the opening floor. Good start indeed! The main highlight however was definitely the boss razorwing. With his crazy big movement with flying, I literally ran circles around and through the hero party, and with some ran off to town to heal or from a death, pretty much nobody could catch him as it ran away. Coupling it with cards for extra attacks and twice the range, it was pretty silly actually (and fun). It did get down to about 4 wounds left but there was definitely the chance of Undying being a pain in the butt and it took Astarra down for the second time bringing the kill count to 3. To be frank the heroes were not thinking clearly and the hit and run tactics did seem to frustrate resulting in some comments about killing this floor at all costs. I played against my position a bit to play devil's advocate and point out that if they are bleeding conquest this badly, don't give me more by trying to kill it and push on to another level and just cut losses and run. Eventually they did decide to do just that, but on the escape Nara got gunked up by Web that even her mighty melee self couldn't break quickly and it helped seal the deal later on with a beastmen spawn killing her near the escape glyph. Also while waiting in town they cycled some rumors and settled on Red Sky at Morning. So yeah, 4 kills on the first floor before flee was called. Overlord is back in this thing!

Our regrouped group decided to regroup

Deciding to head off to get Secret Training sooner than later, the heroes would elect to move back again towards Olmric's Hut for the training. In the meantime, I would purchase a second event treachery, the siege of Vynelvale had commenced, and Alric moved towards Riverwatch. The best thing about going after Riverwatch is it has a low defense rating, and with the heroes going to be tied up in training I thought I might be able to take the city which if they lost their great market there, would pay off in the long run tenfold.

Nara the Chestburster

On the way out to train, the heroes tried to get encounters hoping to pad their experience as Laurel was a little short to take Secret Training and also get Rapid Fire to be a gamebreaking beast. So what encounter did we get? Howabout The Wyrm Turns with a boss Ice Wyrm on the location of Box Canyon, which was an ambush on a location that has the Overlord take the first turn? Yikes. So as you might imagine, the first turn my Wyrm trampled the bedrolls up to Nara and Swallowed him going for a fast kill. The others got off what shots they could and what shots they were! Electing to move fast to protect their tank, an awakened Landrec and Laurel (by Astarra's full damage slaps again, yeesh) declared Aim, ate a power potion each and fired on the Wyrm. Each hit was about 21 wounds in copper level, ouch! On Nara's turn it was up to the swallow attack to kill and it only crippled... leaving Nara who does extra damage to large monsters to rip out of its gut in an explosion of blood, gore and viscera. So much red, so much splat. I got nothing but what a fun finish that was.

Cue Training Montage!

The next turns went by fast, and I set up siege at Riverwatch with Alric and Eliza would spend the time getting her raze tokens up at Vynelvale. I also took the time to purchase my third event treachery and had even debated on the fourth and final one but I kept that banked instead. Meanwhile, the heroes finally almost got to Olmric's after 3 tries and got a hell of a reward: they had an encounter with Mad Duncan. This encounter was non-combat and allowed them to purchase one unlearned skill of any kind! After much deliberation with so many awesome skills available like Wind Pact, Spiritwalker, Prodigy, Eagle Eye, Tiger Tattoo, Unmovable, Taunt, Leadership or even Weapon Mastery we were practically overwhelmed with choice. Noting that the silver legendary dungeon will be available soon and some of these quality skills still being able to be trained (and Laurel not having enough XP for Secret Training plus a skill) they elected to show some love to the runner who has been largely ignored for training and take Acrobat instead. Part of the reasoning of this was because Acrobat had been removed from the map with the fall of Dawnsmoor and the other skills wouldn't hit prime power until later in the game yet while Acrobat is ever useful in small tight maps with clusters of mobs. Only time will tell how good the choice was in the end though but I fear no choice was a wrong choice really. Wrapping things up for this session, the heroes did Secret Training getting copper HP with everyone but Laurel who took Fatigue instead. I also failed my first raze roll on Riverwatch with Vynelvale about to roll soon so hopefully this training distraction pays off for me.

Conquest Standings
All in this campaign I was trailing behind in conquest, but not by much. The heroes having their roughest dungeon floor by far resulting in 4 kills coupled with all the extra points for time passing on map travels put myself in the lead for the first time, also opening the option for Legendary Dungeons now. Heroes 69, Overlord 81.

Heroes - Section_8 and Kensei - Rumor: Red Sky at Morning
Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave, Gauntlets of Power
1 Power Potion
Copper HP Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Equipment Falcon's Claw, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor, Ring of Protection
Copper Fatigue Training
4 Black Dice

2 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Runewitch Astarra - Blessing, Acrobat
Equipment Immolation, Crystal Shield, Iron Shield, Leather Armor
Copper HP Training
3 Black Dice

Event: 3, Monster: 0, Trap: 0

Where to go from here
Well I think this time, its hard to say. For the heroes, the secret training was hit and they can't reach my LTs before they get some more raze rolls. However, if they stick around and go deep in the dungeon they may be able to stay nearby to steal Rapid Fire when the age changes. As for me, I nearly took my final Event treachery point but banked it for future use. I can't believe its nearly maxed this fast but hopefully I can get some Crushing Blows going on next time. In any case I'm very curious to see how things go for razes so if you want evil to beat the snot out of good, wish me luck for next session.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian D.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
razing Riverwatch would be a nice thing, my heroes always protected that town an went on a shopping spree at crucial times. You chose a very difficult moment for your heroes to save Riverwatch, good job! And while I think Secret Training is a must, I think their timing is a little off. Getting the HP upgrade also seems unusual, at least on so many heroes. Nara I could understand but for me at least Astarra as Runner should have some more. Even more strange, timing for the change to silver is a little off, too. You’re 50 CT from Silver and they want to do one more full dungeon to get silver secret training? Doesn’t one dungeon usually have around 17-21 CT for heroes? Do they want to give up the rest to you? And lose Riverwatch? Hmm, it just looks a little weird to me. But I’ll happily watch my thoughts get revoked .

By the way, visiting the tavern during a dungeon is not allowed! RtL rules, pg. 22: only Visit or Train actions.

Cheers anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh never noticed that about rumors... will fix that for next time for sure.

I don't know if they plan on going for a full dungeon necessarily but if they go in and do well I'm sure they plan on taking it as far as they can safely. I don't think its to trigger silver though but just pad a little extra XP so while they are near Olmric's Hut they can try to get Rapid Fire sooner than later. I think they are worried about Olmric getting auto-razed from a plot in silver but with Legendary dungeons able to be taken now I don't really see why the panic is over it.

Far as the upgrades though, I think it was trying to be more difficult to kill as fatigue is strong sure, but maybe not as much earlier on. In our old campaign everyone but the mage but fatigue training but I think some people in that one might have benefited better from wounds so I think this is the change to that. But I don't think we know how it'll pan out either as the only no brainer move was making sure wrecking ball Laurel got fatigue to go with her Ghost Armor and end game damage too.

And thanks for the Riverwatch comment, as long as it falls I'll be quite happy and I'll have a couple chances yet before they try and run me off so hopefully it works out. Besides, with 3 event treachery Alric won't be a pushover anymore and I have a little in the bank if I want to pad him further with traps if the raze becomes stubborn too. But really, let's just ask the dice gods to make it simple and fall fall fall! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
We have a house rule that Boggs always hits the bar whenever he's in town. He gets all the ladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Things have been busy for me this weekend and so far this whole week as well. We did have a session last Saturday that I'll be reporting on soon hopefully in the next couple days or so. Thanks for your patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the lateness, but here's the next report for your entertainment and review.

Salty Sunday Massacre

Drawing The Forbidden Pyre while at Blackthorn Grove after getting great luck with Mad Duncan giving easy access to the Acrobat skill, the heroes decided to play a little cautiously here. Chipping out some silver Lava Beetles first thing and then the remainder of some copper eldritch nobodies, the heroes pushed up towards the boss near the end. The boss was a silver hellhound that came with Fear 3 and it taught everyone a lesson; that is one seriously valuable ability. More than a few attacks got stuffed from that Fear ability and as a result, I had a boss that does damage with some survivability.... and pierce too, which resulted in the tank Nara going down. Soon the runner Astarra would rush to the far end of the map to activate a glyph and let the rest of the team town portal in from the rear. At first it looked bad like this...

But then the heavy hitters showed up...

And down went the boss, albeit after doing critical damage with some Aimed, Piercing Breath attacks. Soon after the remaining monsters managed to chip away enough damage to kill both Astarra and Landrec going down. Having a campaign record of 3 deaths on the first floor, they decided to bolt it and head back to Tamalir.

Beginning of the Overlord's End?

Starting a stretch of a lot of map moves, for my turn, my long awaited siege results of Vynelvale and Riverwatch went not too poorly. Vynelvale fell however Riverwatch did not. I had Eliza move in to Riverwatch to continue the razing while Alric began trekking northwards. The heroes wanted game breaking skill Rapid Fire very badly now, wanting it before the silver age begins and risk losing Olmric's Hut to a plot card before they train it there. Heading to Dawnsmoor they had a huge setback of an encounter: A Thief in the Night. This one is non combat and just simply steals 25% of the party treasury. Sucks to be them, but they still had enough cash to do training so away they went. The next turn, Riverwatch finally fell (yahoo! devil) and my LTs continued northward. The heroes pulled another non-combat encounter, The Alchemist, which was basically a well stocked Alchemist visit that went unused. They might have bought some but thanks to the stolen gold they didn't want to push limits just in case. Next week was LTs ever northward eventually with Alric arriving at Greyhaven with Eliza a step behind, with the heroes landing at Olmric's to train. On my next turn, Alric begun the siege of Greyhaven while Eliza caught up to him, and the heroes trained a silver die for Landrec, another black die for Nara and the almighty Rapid Fire for Laurel. Yikes. Now with silver age looming on the horizon (approximately 35 CT away) they decided to try the copper Legendary Dungeon again while they still have the chance. However Greyhaven's siege had a trade of LTs again, with Eliza taking over the duties while Alric pressed onwards to Frostgate in the northeast. A couple turns later Alric would arrive in Frostgate and begin the siege there with Eliza continuing on with her merry way of destruction in Greyhaven. Pulling yet another non-combat encounter (I think this deck needs a serious reshuffling) they got A Wandering Merchant which was a shop... while they were flat broke. However, the heroes got to Greyhaven and elected to not-so-heroically ignore the cries of anguish from the city and not engage Eliza. Eliza left them alone on her next turn as well, with Alric getting two tokens on Frostgate now. But the heroes arrived finally, to the legendary dungeon.

Pulling to... the exit?

Starting the copper Legendary Dungeon, the Caverns of Thuul, the first floor was to be The Pull of the Depths with pits that pull heroes a space towards them and a boss sorcerer with Magneto style powers who could move any figure in line of sight, presumably to drop things in pits. I was looking forward to playing this however the heroes had other things to say about it. Turn one was Acrobat Astarra doing a big fatigue run to activate the far end glyph by the boss and the remaining heroes porting out to town. All my minions surrounded Astarra and took a kill then prepared to swarm the incoming heroes as shown here:

However, it was not meant to be. Nara ripped up the hellhounds and Laurel and Landrec did major damage, with Laurel busting out Rapid Fire to drop the boss despite him being Undying (which as usual, failed). However with Laurel spending the fatigue to Rapid Fire her Ghost Armor was null and void and I finally killed her for the very first time in the campaign! Still, I think the heroes advanced on to the next level on their second or maybe third turn, and I couldn't get any real threat tokens or challenges on the board. Very demoralizing despite Laurel going down.

Jailhouse got rocked

Next floor was The Prison, which was a wide open branching path with a couple small cells of six prisoners. If the heroes can walk one off the board to the exit it was bonus conquest for them; any of them dying or being unable to get off the board resulted in the bonus for the Overlord instead. One minor problem however was that the red rune locked door was actually not locked at all, so the boss (which was only a copper master beastman) didn't even have to be killed to advance to the next floor. Lots of wide open spaces to run free too.

What happened was amusing, the heroes opened one jail cell and watched how tough it was going to be to get the prisoners out and then basically abandoned them. The "heroes" elected to not even try to save any one and keep their eyes on the prize and just run through the level to exit. Again, I couldn't get basically anything going. I had threat enough for a power card but I didn't have anything good, just Hordes of the Things which is my least favorite power of all. Still, I put it in play because they basically had two free levels and I was desperate to get some opposition to them. I mean, this was a Legendary Dungeon afterall, I can't let them blitz this one out if I can help it. I did score 6 conquest for the death and abandonment of the prisoners, but it sure didn't feel much like a reward at all. As per usual, I did kill Astarra for her glyph running ways though.

Someone get me a table to flip!

Next level was The Alchemist's Lab, which had one of the most seriously under powered bosses I've seen. He could change his ability from Regeneration 6, Pierce 3 or Blast 1, but the normal armor and wound bonus was basically a quarter of what it usually was meaning this poor little copper sorcerer was a joke. And once again the Acrobat runner of Astarra ran by all my defenses to activate the glyph on turn one, the others porting to town and on turn 2 about to wreck my little boss by the glyph. I tried to run him out and across the map with monsters running block, with a lucky spawn (hell I was lucky I could spawn anything, stupid Boggs the Rat) I got some Blood Apes out.

With our starting positions reversed, the boss tried to run back towards the starting glyph and kite the heroes back towards the start. I had some extra Bane Spiders from Hordes out and plenty of shots at an isolated Laurel but none of them even landed (six consecutive crit misses... yeah it was that kind of a day lol) before Nara and Laurel lit them up. However thanks to Boggs and the heroes preventing any spawns at all, the monsters eventually died and the boss ran out of room to run from them and died by the starting glyph, as usual Undying not working there. Not a single kill here for me, but halfway through I did get my favorite power out, Evil Genius, which I only worry is too little too late as my other power slot is taken up by a Hordes that doesn't do me much good.

Conquest Standings
Well with all the map movement this session the conquest totals moved a lot, especially for the Overlord. We have however gotten to 217 total conquest now so once we do the final floor it will be a new age of silver. That all said I've got a sizable lead with it being Heroes 88, Overlord 129.

Heroes - Section_8 and Kensei - Rumor: Red Sky at Morning
Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave, Gauntlets of Power, Ring of Protection, Knuckle Dagger
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
1 Black Die
2 Silver Die

Equipment Dwarven Fire Bombs, Falcon's Claw, Heavy Leather Armor, Crystal Shield, Ghost Armor, Archer's Charm
2 Fatigue Potions
Copper Fatigue Training
4 Black Dice

3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
3 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Runewitch Astarra - Blessing, Acrobat
Equipment Immolation, Crystal Shield, Iron Shield, Leather Armor
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
3 Black Dice

Event: 3, Monster: 0, Trap: 0

Where to go from here
Well this is the part I was looking forward to talking about the most. I am absolutely amazed at how strong Astarra is with Acrobat in RtL. I cannot figure out a defense to heroes appearing on their second turn in range of a level leader and I very much worry about the future maps being rushed this fast; I can't get anything going here. Whats more, despite getting 3 event treachery early on I have yet to have a single one of those cards come into play like Crushing Blow. Also, my heroes have clued in to the fact that I am intending to take this campaign to the final battle on purpose and are feeling lax about dealing with LTs especially if they hover near Tamalir. I don't think this means the map movements are unimportant to them though, as I think my only tactic now is to attack with LTs and try to wreck their gear with Crushing Blows and try to halt their progress now (especially because Riverwatch is gone). I for one am really curious to see how silver age will treat the heroes and I just hope I can stop this crazy running blitz... forget Rapid Fire, Astarra is just too good in RtL despite dying easily. Ah well, still have the final floor of the Legendary Dungeon left to go so maybe I can get some more CT out of them and work on maxing out treachery (at least some trap treachery) before I begin some serious assaults with LTs. Also, I'm wondering if its a good idea to boost all monster types. While almost half the map is razed I don't see my own CT being an issue anymore so I'm wondering if I can make that expense. I'm very tempted to bump up Humanoids as I love beastmen spawns but I might still have to do Eldritch as they are just too common. Really love some feedback on here because I feel I got to pull out all the stops especially if they can blitz this easily now. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 5
Nice little trick, though difficult to manage, vs Astarra running through with acrobat is to put a slow 4x4 monster on the glyph and then scatter the smaller monsters so it can't get off after she activates. The other heroes port to town, and then can't exit the glyph until the smaller mosnters are cleared away and the large monster can get off the glyph...

Example: The spider can't move off the glyph, so it doesn't have to.

Also if you can get 2 event treachery and use the Sundered(?) Glyph, they not only get only 1 CT from it but can't use it to go in or out. Nasty, though only one use per dungeon, unless you spend 4 event treachery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
Ah well, still have the final floor of the Legendary Dungeon left to go so maybe I can get some more CT out of them and work on maxing out treachery (at least some trap treachery) before I begin some serious assaults with LTs. Also, I'm wondering if its a good idea to boost all monster types. While almost half the map is razed I don't see my own CT being an issue anymore so I'm wondering if I can make that expense. I'm very tempted to bump up Humanoids as I love beastmen spawns but I might still have to do Eldritch as they are just too common. Really love some feedback on here because I feel I got to pull out all the stops especially if they can blitz this easily now. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for reading!

Look at your Lt monsters, base your additional monster upgrades, if any, on that.
Merric, for example, is very heavy on the Eldritch, ELiza pure beasts and Alric strongest in beasts and weakest in eldritch (but really not much between humanoid and Eldritch.
Also, possibly, the Silver legendary dungeon might factor into your decision.

Bearing in mind of course that niether monster upgrades nor treachery benefit you at all in the final battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Look at your Lt monsters, base your additional monster upgrades, if any, on that.
Merric, for example, is very heavy on the Eldritch, ELiza pure beasts and Alric strongest in beasts and weakest in eldritch (but really not much between humanoid and Eldritch.
Also, possibly, the Silver legendary dungeon might factor into your decision.

Bearing in mind of course that niether monster upgrades nor treachery benefit you at all in the final battle...

That's how I thought how monster upgrades should go actually, just look at your LTs. I'm not sure that I want a third one yet (Merick) as if they let all cities fall he won't be as critical mind you. However if I do get the chance to run some guerrilla tactics on them with LTs another attacker would be nice. Depends on how some things go next session to be sure, if Greyhaven falls. I too thought about the upgrade choice for the Legendary Dungeon in silver but that's a lot of spent XP just for one dungeon. I'm really wondering if its worth it upgrading just for that when a more common type might be more useful, however if they keep blitzing like that I don't know how useful any monster upgrades are to be honest. Besides beasts of course, but you know what I mean. Its pretty frustrating I have to admit.

I did the math a while ago on what CT I need to bring to the final battle to max out, came out to about 70 or so. That's pretty high but its also kind of low at the same time. If I get some more razes in and can slow the heroes down I think I can still make some other upgrades like padding treachery before I can commit all the way to the plan, but again, it depends on the heroes. Its funny, I always felt the heroes would react to my designs in the game not the other way around. I can totally see the handicap I've given myself here, I wish I never let my players learn about what the idea was for this campaign. Ah well.

Also, its hard to talk some strategy when your players read this forum lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:

I did the math a while ago on what CT I need to bring to the final battle to max out, came out to about 70 or so. That's pretty high but its also kind of low at the same time. If I get some more razes in and can slow the heroes down I think I can still make some other upgrades like padding treachery before I can commit all the way to the plan, but again, it depends on the heroes.

In my experience, time is the problem with OL upgrades for the final battle, not pure CT value. The heroes can zoom through late silver and gold campaigns quite fast and leave the OL surprisingly unable to spend his XP fast enough, or buy the upgrades he would like, in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never even considered that but you have a point, there are a lot of single upgrades to push through and I should probably get on them sooner rather than later. Thanks man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.