$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
92 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 17 - Campaign Completed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mister mystery
msg tools
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 5
corbon wrote:
Nice little trick, though difficult to manage, vs Astarra running through with acrobat is to put a slow 4x4 monster on the glyph and then scatter the smaller monsters so it can't get off after she activates. The other heroes port to town, and then can't exit the glyph until the smaller mosnters are cleared away and the large monster can get off the glyph...

Example: The spider can't move off the glyph, so it doesn't have to.

Also if you can get 2 event treachery and use the Sundered(?) Glyph, they not only get only 1 CT from it but can't use it to go in or out. Nasty, though only one use per dungeon, unless you spend 4 event treachery...

I've a question to that. As the OL needs to move the spider away, doesn't that actually mean, he has to move the small ones so he can move the spider away too? If it is possible as you said, that would make a lot of change to my OL playing against zyla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterMystery wrote:

I've a question to that. As the OL needs to move the spider away, doesn't that actually mean, he has to move the small ones so he can move the spider away too? If it is possible as you said, that would make a lot of change to my OL playing against zyla.

Why?
Each activation is like a self contained little turn, done in any order the OL desires. Nothing says the OL has to adjust his other activations to make this one easier for him - indeed, he should adjust the other activations to make this one impossible so he can take advantage of that little "if possible".
When the spider activates then and only then does the OL have to consider they 'issues' presented to the spider, and respond accordingly.

Note that it doesn't say that the OL MUST move the monster of the glyph, it says that he must move the monster off the glyph IF POSSIBLE. Well, when the monster goes to move (and the OL has the right to choose what order he moves in) its not possible. Rule satisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make sense to the rules and to me it also makes sense for game balance. It is entirely possible heroes could clear a floor in just 3 turns, a whole dungeon in just 9 turns. Overlord will only get an average of 8 threat per floor before discards, a paltry 24 threat over a full dungeon at worst. And that's not considering the random chance of getting any cards worth playing, the OL might only draw four cards per floor. It's ridiculous actually, there isn't a single thing that can really be done besides choking the glyph with every monster you have. Lots of floors Corbon's tactic might not even be possible due to layout or loadout for that matter.

I'm all for risk versus reward. Acrobat was fine for collecting loot, as it puts a figure in a precarious position at the risk of gains. That's fine. But this takes all the risk out of going to deeper floors in a dungeon, that's gamebreaking if there isn't any possible counter to it. This at least is something, even if it's awfully difficult to do consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
What the OL said:
"I don't know why you guys are so worried about getting Rapid Fire now. You can always get it at the Silver dungeon.

What I heard:
"Pleeeeeeaaaase don't get a gamebreaking skill right now! Pleaaaaase let me gank Olric so you have to suffer through four levels of silver hell to get it!"

Got Rapid Fire. Laurel the Caber-Tosser went from pretty good to freakin' game-breaking in one turn. Got something like 21 damage in one strike on that first floor boss with a feat. Sure she died, but it took all his guys to do it.

Also getting very amused by Runewitch "Mach 12" Astarra. Now, if only she could actually hit worth a damn...

Will try to convince other player to go lieutenant hunting once this dungeon is over. Note that the OL told us flat out at the start that he was going for the final battle, so it's not a real surprise.

Oh, and those hostages we let die? Anyone who's dumb enough to run through hordes of monsters to the gate that leads DEEPER IN THE DUNGEON deserves to be used as a meat shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Section_8 wrote:
What the OL said:
"I don't know why you guys are so worried about getting Rapid Fire now. You can always get it at the Silver dungeon.

What I heard:
"Pleeeeeeaaaase don't get a gamebreaking skill right now! Pleaaaaase let me gank Olric so you have to suffer through four levels of silver hell to get it!"

I tried.

But honestly, I wouldn't have wasted 15 XP on razing it anyway even if you didn't get it, heroes can always get whatever skills they want in silver. I think the only way you couldn't is if you kept the CT lead and if that happened you could quite literally sit around on the map wasting game weeks until you could do it. You are right though, I would have much rather you got it later on thats for damn sure.

More mad at Acrobat anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry no update this week, holiday busy season claims a victim. Hopefully next weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 6
Hello BGG, hope you are well for the upcoming holidays. Here's the report!

Descent Session Report: Descent Campaign Tracker

Death Factory of Legendary Proportions

Resuming the Legendary dungeon on the final floor, the Caverns of Thuul, the embattled heroes wanted to see what treasures they can reap from the Gemstone Dragon... especially seeing as they know what tricks it has and what to expect from last campaign. The start of the floor was defensive from the heroes, but with a stock of 45 threat and the best cards saved over the previous floors, this was going to be a fight with a lot of spawns. And so I did. Firstly, Astarra backed out to town to get some temple healing done, and while Laurel and Nara headed up towards the center stairs, Landrec got left behind despite a guard order not being enough to one shot a silver razorwing and wound up dying early on this floor. Half the team in town, I tried to set an ambush of sorts and do what damage I could with zippy razorwings.

While I certainly didn't wipe out the team, delaying and turtling tactics was the name of the game for me here. I had Evil Genius in play from the previous session and my OL deck was close to cycling. I did get a Crushing Blow in before that happened however, so I elected to break gear that can't be replaced in the form of a copper treasure, Archer's Charm. I figured the weaker I can permanently make a hero the better, also because while breaking a weapon is huge, breaking a copper weapon just to buy a slightly worse shop weapon isn't much of a gain compared to later weapons. That, and with it being on Laurel with her extra range to damage ability (not to mention the pierce) it seemed a wise idea. Soon though "Runwitch" Astarra made a run to the top floor to open up a pair of glyphs for the team. She soon promptly died for her efforts, but such is her role in life apparently. And she later died again on respawn, I don't even remember why because it happens so often, Ambush I think it was. Soon Laurel dropped into the thick of things with Rapid Fire battle actions wrecking 3 master monsters in her turn, despite some crit misses. A treasure chest was popped and soon the Gemstone Dragon appeared again... except this time, it was Silver instead of Copper. Would that make a difference? You bet your ass it did! In a nutshell, the heroes got gummed up by Fear 2 (love that ability) and it got around to slaughtering everyone. I had some leftover spawns from the level before such as a couple beastmen and a shade coming up behind which drew Landrec's attention as the rearguard, giving a fatigue exhausted Laurel plenty of time to die from Rage and Aimed boss dragon attacks, and there was a dark charm in that mess somewhere as well. Removing some heroes from the fight made it a seemingly impossible challenge and soon it was just Nara and Astarra left.

Two turns from Nara later they remembered her extra damage boost, which cost them probably 10 extra wounds in the end and it might have given them a fighting chance. It was all for nought in the end and it was basically a total party kill and took the flee back to Tamalir. By far our most time consuming and most lethal floor in either campaign yet. Heroes died 7 times on this floor alone, so I guess I just might be the Dragonlord, mwaha!

CAMPAIGN ADVANCES TO SILVER AGE

Preparing for the Silver Age and beyond

After all the mass chaos and death of the Legendary dungeon, we were well past advancing the campaign to silver, I think it was close to 220 total I think. Crazy how time flies in this game sometimes. First order of business, was both sides began to beef themselves up. I had a ton of CT to spend and after Eliza failed her siege roll and Alric put down the last needed siege token for his raze, I of course upgraded Beasts to Gold. The heroes stuck around in town to train dice and go shopping with their hard earned blood money and also upgraded Tamalir's Bazaar, seeing as how Riverwatch was sacked last session as well. My next turn Frostgate fell but Greyhaven did not, and Alric moved a bit southwards to camp out by the silver Legendary dungeon. My next upgrade I decided on making Eldritch to silver, in an effort to make sure I don't get screwed on poor loadout choices again in the future. The heroes travelled to Forge in an effort to find some silver weaponry, and got the non combat encounter of A Terrible Nightmare on the way for what was basically 4 wounds to everyone. For my next upgrade, I took my first Trap Treachery, in preparing my LTs to have some Dark Charm and Crushing Block related tricks in the future. Another turn of shopping for the heroes, then off they went to try another dungeon. However Greyhaven fell and Eliza moved to Tamalir in the process, and I finally took my first final battle upgrade (in keeping with THE PLAN...) I bought Diamond Scales.

The Mighty Kobold King

On the way to a dungeon we got a combat encounter at Haunted Trail called Tall In Spirit. Its basically against a kobold horde with a boss with Command 2 and a lot of extra wounds. Well, I was moaning and groaning about this one. All the upgrades I did to monster types and I get the weakest monster of all, kobolds. Yes, I realize they can swarm for some decent damage, but geez... really? Time was becoming an issue for how long the Legendary dungeon took so I distinctly remember telling the heroes that they probably need not be so tactical and just wipe the floor with them all and move it all along. The last thing I'd expect is a kill here afterall. One thing about me, I don't give kobolds much love in the advanced campaign (I was a fan in vanilla though, but haven't cared to getting around to paint them yet). Soon an angry Laurel moved up and Rapid Fired a wall of death killing a cluster of kobolds, 4 figures I think it was, probably due to her pent up rage on losing her Archer's Charm to Crushing Blow last dungeon. However that did result in her going a bit too gung ho and spending all her fatigue that could have been used in Ghost Armor, and with the location card giving everyone a -1 penalty to armor (and I didn't care, I'm kobolds! lol) that put her in a bad position here:

So what happened? The boss with Command got close enough to give those two cute lil' white ones a boost to damage and they both rolled for nearly max possible damage. She actually died on OL turn one. I was floored, so were the heroes, and it was generally a moment of total shame. Rock on, you crazy kobolds. Anyway, the rest was pretty much mopping up the leftovers with the whole party minus glass cannon Laurel, so not much else to see here. Heh, Laurel died to two kobolds. Still funny.

Quick sightseeing trip into a mineshaft

Time was now a factor for our session as a player had to leave, so the intentions were a quick smash and grab of loot and to either bolt it or gank the boss and save the next floor for next session. At the Broken Crags we pulled The Mine, and to be honest I have nothing to say here. The loadout was tough to deal with for mostly still copper geared heroes (either silver eldritch or some gold beasts) and Astarra was sent on a suicide run to grab what she could. She got a glyph and a gold pile and paid for it with a death, and I also got a great hand and was able to Crushing Blow on my first turn, electing to break Astarra's Crystal Shield partially due to no better targets and also because it was a copper treasure they couldn't reclaim again. Considering what the floor looked like, I think even if we had the time it wouldn't have been worth the fight.

Yeah, good call heroes.

Conquest Standings
With a whopping gain of 41 conquest for me this session, I just kept strengthening the lead. Heroes 100, Overlord 170. And despite this being the first session in silver, we are only 130 conquest until Gold Level.

Heroes - Section_8 and Kensei - Rumor: Red Sky at Morning
Landrec the Wise - Boggs the Rat
Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave, Ring of Protection, Elven Boots
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
3 Silver Dice

Laurel of Bloodwood - Marksman
Equipment Scythe of Reaping, Dwarven Fire Bombs, Heavy Leather Armor, Iron Shield, Ghost Armor
2 Fatigue Potions
Copper Fatigue Training
4 Black Dice

Nara the Fang - Relentless
Equipment Dragontooth Hammer, Walking Stick, Chain Mail, Belt of Strength. Bracers of Might
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
2 Black Dice
2 Silver Dice

Runewitch Astarra - Blessing, Acrobat
Equipment Immolation, Crystal Shield, Elvan Robe
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

The Great Wyrm - Deadsider - Obsidian Shackles
Beast Level: Gold
Eldrich Level: Silver
Humanoid Level: Copper
Event: 3, Monster: 0, Trap: 1
Lieutenants: Sir Alric Farrow, Lady Eliza Farrow
Upgrades: Traitors Abound, Siege Engines, Diamond Scales

Where to go from here
Its amazing how fast the game seems to have picked up the pace. Deaths are occurring rather fast now, and with so many cities razed (only 2 remain, Tamalir notwithstanding) any time spent on the map is going to progress this campaign at lightening quick speed. That said, I am working on the big plan now. With the key Diamond Scales bought and CT enough for Dragonfear next turn, I feel safe that I can just work on getting all the upgrades I need for the final battle to come in at full strength. I wondered if buying another monster upgrade was worth it, but I really didn't want to let heroes have an even easier time in dungeons with well executed Acrobat blitzing so I hope that doesn't burn me later on. I also wavered a little on that point of trap treachery, but I figured the stronger the heroes get the stronger that point becomes, and if I'm going to harass with LTs soon that Dark Charm is a game changer. At least, with Eliza it should be. Alric is hanging around the silver legendary dungeon... I'll let you guys guess why without tipping off my heroes that read the forum. Hopefully Eliza can make it there before its tried as well. Corbon's advice to make sure I get upgrades in on time is right on the money as well, because with just 130 left to go when we just started silver, I have got to get buying upgrades almost every turn I can I think. Far as the hero strategy, I'm not sure. I'd guess more of the same dungeon delving for better gear and trying to not panic at kobolds in the process. That might have been highlight of the entire campaign for me at this point, hilarious.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
I was a fan in vanilla though, but haven't cared to getting around to paint them yet

That's a pity. The Kobolds are by far the easiest paintjob of the game, including all expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
In my defence, Laurel was crazed with vengeance after having her precious family heirloom of a charm that she bought at Wal-Mart for $3.99 being shattered before her eyes and was all too eager to charge into that mob of kobolds with nary a thought to her own defence. She also missed once, which let the second kobold live. And no one could believe the blinkin' bastard rolled max damage.

As for the dragon....stupid fear making Laurel miss like nine times...Am pretty sure we should have had Landrec go in for a suicide run and have everyone else stand back, since he tend s to kill stuff when that happens.

Am wondering if we have time to hit legendary training AND a dungeon AND the legendary before we hit Silver? Would like to Wind Pact the hell out of crushing blow.

Grey Ker sucks, and the heroes lost because they kept slipping in all the guts he left in the Copper dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Deadsider wrote:
I was a fan in vanilla though, but haven't cared to getting around to paint them yet

That's a pity. The Kobolds are by far the easiest paintjob of the game, including all expansions.

Well I do plan to get around to them all, its just taking time. Only about a month ago did I decide I wanted to paint my minis and I had a two week binge of painting that burnt me out a little bit. However I've got some time off for the holiday season and I'll get around to getting more monsters done up, and who knows maybe I will do kobolds after all. I see its really quick painting: 2 colors, base painting and a wash. Its just a lot of models though, and while I was never pro at warhammer painting I shudder a little at painting bigger batches of the same models. Still with beasts the focus of the campaign and only just yesterday deciding to have a secondary of eldritch creatures, I've got to finish those monster categories yet. For beasts I still needed Lava Beetles and Wendigos, and eldritch I need Chaos Beasts, Ice Wyrms, Dark Priests and Golems done. Humanoids I still need Ferrox, Kobolds and the Deep Elves. I guess I'm about halfway there with most of the common types done though so that's something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah. I had painted all my monsters. All of them. Everyone. Gosh, I was relieved. Then I bought Tomb of Ice and Altar of Despair. Sigh.

Now I am almost finished with my Medusas and Deep Elves, but still desperately seeking paint are my Ice Wyrms, Beetles, Wendigos, Chaos Beasts and Trolls.

Here's my Kobolds:

I was not looking forward to this particular paintjob, so I was quite surprised when it proved to be the fastest and simplest of them all. Black undercoat, drybrush with green, paint pants, wash or dip and finish with matt varnish. And because there are so many you can really make a lot of progress in very little time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright Jan you convinced me; I've started prepping a batch of new monsters to paint that include Dark Priests, Lava Beetles, Ferrox and...... Kobolds. Those look so simple and nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Apparently we heroes sucked so hard at our shopping choices and fell so far behind that we won't be able to do the Silver legendary and get the special upgrade unless we somehow earn 3000 gold in, at most, three dungeons. This assumes, of course, that the OL auto-razes the last two cities, that we have 30 CT per dungeon total (which is the most we've done besides the Legendary) and don't get stopped by a lieutenant.

Yeah, fat chance of that.

Damn you, Grey Ker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 7
Well hello there BGG and Happy New Year! (you know, in case you live under a rock and haven't heard.... hey it could happen, uh, maybe) and welcome back to our advanced campaign. Had a super short bite-size session this week as we were under a strict time limit and during the game the deadline to finish got bumped up a bit during play. Still, some game time is better than no game time am I right? On to the report!

The Lady in White Cometh

Jumping right back into the thick of things, I started off taking a critical upgrade in Dragonfear for the final battle. Sir
Alric stayed on guard near the Silver Legendary dungeon and Lady Eliza ran into Tamalir and challenged the heroes to a LT encounter, our first at silver level. Being all set with a hand of treachery (3 event, 1 trap) I pulled a couple aggressive cards out such as Crushing Blow, Rage x2, Danger and Aim for events and Crushing Block and Dark Charm for traps. Truth be told, I made some mistakes there most notably playing Crushing Block early on turn 1; would have rather had the threat for other things. The heroes knew that without Wind Pact to save them, I would be gunning for some good gear to break and they were quite correct. So, they opted to have an "insurance policy" of runner Astarra. Before they engaged all the gear they deemed valuable targets to me they tried to load up on her instead, such as silver weapons and Mana Weave, and had Astarra do a full fatigue acrobat sprint right to the exit. I wasn't able to stop her, so she fled right on turn one. Shoot. So the next plan was to be difficult and block exits and try to get some kills in. A master bane spider held its ground for Eliza and company to get in and do damage including another kill on Landrec, but alas it wasn't enough to get the others. Points of strategy for myself to remember for later is to pull the Charge card instead for the LT to declare a battle while playing Charge, and also bring a Dodge to try and help a monster blocking the exit to live a bit more. I did manage to break a silver gear in the form of Elven Boots but it wasn't the equipment I wanted to zap the most, I wanted to knock out that Mana Weave. The good news is the heroes are a bit scared of Eliza, and wanted to flee immediately. I knew that they would take off in the other direction of where she set up, so next time cards like charge will make all the difference in catching up to them and sandwiching them between figures. Ah well, live and learn. Big kudos to them for running their gear off the table turn one though, that was smart.

By our calculations... it's a cave in!
After escaping the clutches of my White Queen, the heroes went right for some math calculations. No, seriously. They decided that time was a factor, rightly so, and wanted to see what they have to gain and what they can afford to lose per dungeon floor (under worst case scenarios) to make sure they get as much time in silver to dungeon delve then arrive at the legendary dungeon before running out of time. It was something impressive, if I do say so. So very quickly they decided it was off toThe Gate of the North for a dungeon, and we drew Cave In! for the level card, with the start setup shown on the left image. The hook for this dungeon was each OL turn there is a roll on the dice and there is a 1 wound for every figure in a room depending on the result, and a boss spider with extra wounds and armor who is
immune to the effect. However the boss room was locked by a runedoor that required a key so they had more trouble than usual to do a turn one blitz. Nonetheless, you'll notice Astarra moved into a tight spot while some primed but not yet painted Wendigos ran defense in there. It took some effort from a rapid firing Laurel and some spell casts from Landrec but they did punch a big hole in there despite some unlucky rolls against the Stealth of the Wendigo beasts, the aftermath show in the right side image. However you'll notice that both heroes had died, one from a nasty boss sniper attack. As bosses are able to open runelocked doors of areas as long as they were revealed, the high movement of the spider allowed it to walk up, open the door, attack and close it again for maximum annoyance. Quite fun and highly recommended. Regardless, the heroes blitz speed showed again and gave me just three turns so I feel quite successful to have stolen two kills as it was. I did have a good starting hand with a Dark Charm and Beastmen spawn card, and a charmed Nara put a crippling beating on Landrec and the beastmen appeared around a corner to do some serious damage as they normally do, I believe they softened up Laurel for the boss to kill if I remember it right. All that said and done, it was a fast floor and soon after the boss was down, and the heroes popped the chest for maximum cash reward and ran off to the next level. Try as they might, the lone little copper beastmen weren't enough to stop the likes of Nara and the gang before they up and left; pictured below. Not pictured is the stains they left behind, courtesy of Nara the Fang.

Conquest Standings
Gains for a short session weren't hugely noteworthy like last time, so its just a little change since last week. Heroes 107, Overlord 183.

Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave, Ring of Protection
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
3 Silver Dice

Laurel of Bloodwood - Marksman
Equipment Scythe of Reaping, Dwarven Fire Bombs, Heavy Leather Armor, Iron Shield, Ghost Armor
2 Fatigue Potions
Copper Fatigue Training
4 Black Dice

Equipment Dragontooth Hammer, Walking Stick, Chain Mail, Belt of Strength. Bracers of Might
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
2 Black Dice
2 Silver Dice

3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Event: 3, Monster: 0, Trap: 1
Upgrades: Traitors Abound, Siege Engines, Diamond Scales, Dragonfear

Where to go from here
With such a quick session this time there wasn't a lot of chance to do forward thinking compared to last time, and as well as both sides not getting a lot done this week. Right now the heroes are about to try out the second level in the dungeon they are at, and we will see how it goes. Their calculations in making sure they get everything they want done might be complicated on the fact that I think they missed the possibility of having to return to Tamalir by a flee, which means they may have shown their hand to me and demonstrated they have to finish this dungeon at all costs and well, that is something an Overlord likes to hear. Of course, how productive that is for is entirely based on the blitzing ability of the heroes and that will probably be determined a lot by what kinds of dungeons we actually face. Other than that, I think I'm doing fairly well putting the pressure on but that also goes for time pressure to get my own upgrades in too. I can see the balance mechanic of only one upgrade per week for the Overlord coming into play already. I also need to get better at picking treachery for LT encounters though, I will definitely need advice and practice for that I think. However, that's for next time and I'm optimistic next session will be a proper sized typical one for our group so we will see what happens.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 7
Biggest win for Team Awesome was realizing that, after shuffling all the gear around and disarming everyone left on the map, that Landrec could equip the rusty old Incinerate rune Runwitch Sunlife Insurance Agent had dropped on him in her rush to grab the goods and skedaddle (first time Carried by Wind actually helped her). Nuked the spider in two turns. Landrec pulled his best Gandalf impression and bravely broke his hip and died as the others scarpered.

I admit that I made a slight miscalculation on the second dungeon, in that Player 2 was insisting on a rear-guard and I was insisting that the OL would be mad, MAD I SAY, to bring out the floor boss for us to squish. Oh well. Note to self: upgrade Laurel's health to something other than "Newt-like."

With Miss Blooddrinking BIATCH camping Tamalir, I think we'll have to try and finish this dungeon so we don't have to run back home and fight her. Fortunately, we have roughly 50 or so conquest that we can afford to blow on dungeons and still have time to get both legendary steroids and the silver munchkin dungeon.

Which, with our luck, will have Diamond-level demons at the bottom. Sigh.

Oh, and for Dead's info, my calcs assumed we'd flee back to Tamilir for every dungeon. HAH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 8
Hello again BGG, we last left our session on a quick bite size update and now we had a longer session with some interesting things happening, not the least of which was improbable but totally possible dice rolls. We return you to the beginning of the second floor of a dungeon, now on to the good stuff.

King of the Hill (Thrones edition)

Going back to business, the heroes at Gate of the North continued to level two, drawing The Throne Room as the next card. This one had wide open spaces and a big throne in the middle. Heroes only need to end a turn on the throne to unlock the rune door and then exit, no boss death required.
Oh, and they also gain a treasure for free the first time they end a turn on it. The level began by looking like this on the left hand side. Pretty soon some banged up heroes in Landrec and Nara went back to town for heals, leaving Astarra and a fatigue exhausted Laurel to fend for themselves and which they promptly died for it. I set up some minions to take the throne at the center for the elevation bonus and prepare a defense for returning heroes, as depicted on the right. When they came back in, Astarra the Running Witch made a bolt for the glyph behind the boss Giant to let the rest of the team hop in behind him to do some damage. It worked well, except that once Landrec and her happened to be in behind him, I played an Ambush to get the Giant in to sweep attack both figures with the boss, as well as sneak some master skeletons in. I thought it was going to work well and possibly split the group up again, but oh no, it was not meant to be. Both magical targets elected to play feats, each one playing a copy of Protect Thyself for a whopping +4 Armor to a radius of both of them. This basically nullified all my attacks and as a result, put me in a really bad spot for the creatures. When the heroes returned they took down the unlucky Undying rolling skeletons and soon it was just all 4 heroes against a copper boss, shown below. Needless to say, the heroes finished up the floor without much trouble from that point.... or I would have said that, if it wasn't for the heroes making attacks near the throne against master skeletons and a master sorcerer (elevated damage/range bonus) and rolling for 3 crit misses and one master undying skeleton winning his undying roll 2 consecutive times against Rapid Fire attacks! That's a lot of wounds to absorb, pretty happy about that. In that mess of bad luck the fatigue drained Laurel went down and so too did Landrec. Can't complain.

Spider Infestation Level: Maximum

Up next was Web of Lives, a map that requires getting 4 villagers escorted off the board or risk giving me 2 conquest per villager (I cannot harm these NPCs) by leaving them behind. The boss was a spider with Quick Shot and a healthy dose of +3 armor and +24 wounds... a pretty substantial offensive and defensive buff.
Talk about great for a gold level Beast player for sure! Also note that when I say the spider level was maximum, I'm really not kidding. Every spider figure in the game was on the loadout here, and as you can see on the upper left it sure made some things crowded, in particular an entire hallway was practically filled (except for a crucial 2 squares in the middle, more on that in a minute). Preparing for the door breach the heroes had Astarra run up to activate the glyph, of which I placed a spider on at the start to set it up to be impossible for it to move off of and lock down the glyph to blitzing heroes with extra thanks to Corbon for the strategy tip there. Next, the large model slaying Nara ran up to the front to punch a hole in the boss spider room, and again at a critical moment rolled a critical miss! Next Laurel came up to Rapid Fire and try to clear the room with all her fatigue... and she rolled a crit miss, crit miss, crit miss before finally taking out a spider. Wow what luck! I was laughing at the back to back to back crit miss rolls probably a lot louder than I should have, sorry Section_8. Landrec wasn't in a position to join the fray and the turn went to me, and boy did I do well. First things first, I played a beastmen war party spawn in those two empty spaces in the spider hallway and while I didn't have Line of Sight for all 3 figures, the most important thing was getting a master beastmen with command right into the thick of things for all my monsters. And then my friends, a slaughter began. I took out a full health Astarra as I often do, squishy as she is. However the full health melee tank also died in this very turn, not often I can claim a kill on Nara. The aftermath of the hole in the front line is shown in the upper righthand image. Needless to say, with the heroes coming back into the boss room by a glyph on respawn and pretty annoyed about the deaths caused by the succession of crit misses on their turn, they were out for blood on the boss and it did die fairly soon. Soon after though Astarra found the time to die again from the last remaining master spider and its minions, finally being the last death the heroes would have on this floor.
Of course, this is not to say it wasn't for a lack of trying. I finally had a chance to make another spawn and I fielded two tough Blood Apes, shown on the lower right, of which one never got a shot off and died trying to protect a master spider. The second ape had a hero feat that placed 3 burn tokens on him that it wouldn't shake off, and then tried a Leap attack that would go straight across the entire map against Nara... who Riposted the attack and it was dead before it hit the ground.
Man, I just can't get these guys to Leap attack anything. At least the figures look nice I guess? Anyway, after all that commotion soon after the heroes plinked away at the remaining mobs and I didn't get much resistance to fight back with on the heroes. The only other thing to mention of note was a treasure card draw of Beastman Fetish which was a pretty solid item that went to Laurel, with Section_8 exclaiming that now she won't miss ever again. My last monster got an attack on Laurel and I asked if it would kill... it did not, so I used Crushing Blow as my last play to break the Fetish. Easy come, easy go. Wrapping it all up, the heroes did successfully walk all 4 villagers off the board (remember them?) for extra conquest. Also at some point a respawned hero in town bought from the shop Kerak's Map to round out the important party upgrades. Nonetheless, congratulations to the heroes for a fully complete dungeon and having enough money to get some training done before tromping off to the Legendary Silver dungeon before gold level. Well done, hope I didn't make it easy on you.

The Big Trouble Gambit

We ended our session with a lot of map activity, partially due to time constraints but also due to feeling a sense of satisfaction for a job well done in the previous dungeon. As mentioned last report, the heroes broke out the paper and pencils and did some math calculations to establish a CT budget. They wanted resources to get silver's secret training while not running out of time to get into the Legendary Dungeon. When they began this attack, the campaign was nearly half way through silver despite barely a dungeon into silver. Frankly, there was a little panic because the heroes have realized more time to strengthen up for the final transition to gold level is going to be a hump to get over. That all said, it was a success, but first it was my turn. Firstly, I took the upgrade of Focused to try to cycle to better cards and stop being bogged down by useless crap like Bane Spider spawns (in this game with small levels and Boggs the Rat to also limit sight, it feels nearly impossible to spawn single space figures much less these monstrosities). I believe I killed a medusa spawn, the spider spawn and some other stuff I never use. Looking forward to the effects of this especially before a long Legendary Dungeon. Alric stayed guard at the Legendary Dungeon's north path waiting to chase away any heroes that landed within reach of him, while Eliza moved on from Tamalir to the east, also towards the Legendary Dungeon. The heroes ran off to Shika's Tree to do their Secret Training for silver, the breakdown was HP for Landrec and Laurel, with fatigue boosts to Nara and Astarra. Also as I write this, I realize I accidentally let the heroes do Secret Training on the turn they arrived on thus skipping me a chance to make an additional upgrade. Note to my players, I will correct this next session by getting an extra upgrade chance because this is huge in the long term. Continuing on, the next turn I upgraded with Protective Magics for more final battle preparation, Eliza continued on and the heroes decided to take the back roads to the Legendary Dungeon. This was smart, as by doing the long way they wouldn't end up on Alric's location and giving him an easy way to engage the heroes and run the risk of chasing them off. They know I was likely to fight him to the death if it meant a flee to Tamalir. The next game week I purchased my fourth and final Event treachery, and the heroes still were skipping along with no encounters, heading south towards the dungeon. On the following week, which would be the last one required, the heroes would get into the silver Legendary Dungeon with approximately 46 CT to go until gold level. With that in mind, I decided on a huge gamble. I moved Eliza her final location towards the dungeon in the south, and my upgrade this time was Big Trouble, and I immediately used it when they moved in. Our incident deck was getting low on cards and I knew we hadn't gotten the infamous Lost card yet, and that's what I was hoping for. If I could delay them this turn to attack them with my toughest LT and go all out offensive, I might have been able to send them back to Tamalir. The time it would have taken to trek back and have to fight another LT again would have delayed just enough (so many "if" situations...) and prevented them from doing the dungeon at all. I figured this was likely going to be the most time sensitive map move this campaign will produce so it is now or never. It all hinged on what cards Big Trouble produced.... and it produced junk! The best incident I got was Blood Moon, one with a lone master Demon, and all locations had multiple exits that they can just run away from. Man.... what a disappointment. However our time for the session was up, so this Big Trouble'd encounter will have to happen next time. The good news is though, both Alric and Eliza will be Fortifying the dungeon with their respective Power cards at the start. I hope its enough to do some serious damage before they can just munchkin themselves out. Guess I'll find out next week.

Conquest Standings
Big gains for myself this week, 44 for your resident Overlord and 20 for the heroes. I am just about closing in on a 2:1 CT ratio, but that by far and away does not reflect that they are looking seriously strong overall with key skills despite being a mere 46 away from Gold level. Heroes 127, Overlord 227.

Equipment Staff of Punishment, Wizard's Robe, Mana Weave, Ring of Protection
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
Silver HP Training
3 Silver Dice

Laurel of Bloodwood - Marksman, Rapid Fire
2 Fatigue Potions
Copper Fatigue Training
Silver HP Training
4 Black Dice

Equipment Grinding Axe, Dragontooth Hammer, Walking Stick, Chain Mail, Belt of Strength. Bracers of Might
3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
Silver Fatigue Training
2 Black Dice
2 Silver Dice

3 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
Silver Fatigue Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Event: 4, Monster: 0, Trap: 1
Upgrades: Traitors Abound, Siege Engines, Diamond Scales, Dragonfear, Focused, Protective Magics, Big Trouble (used)

Where to go from here
Well it comes to this, the major turning point in the game for a big shift in power to the heroes. I'm dreading this dungeon. I've done all I can I think to prepare for it, both LTs are Fortifying with freebie powers and I've maxed my cheap treachery and even focused the deck to try and get to the good stuff more often. It will definitely depend on the level draws so I sure hope I don't get some easy ones as that would be even more devastating. My only chance I think is to do enough damage that I stymie the heroes long enough to think twice if its worth continuing despite the rewards, but from what I can tell I don't think there is a limit to that and if it costs 150 CT I think they'll still go for it. Shoot. I think a major regret is notifying my players that I wanted to see the final battle because they are definitely playing it easy and not really caring that much about CT losses sometimes, as I basically have no way to win barring a fluke in the end. That said, I am still having fun, and I hope to at least put up a fight at the end. I have almost half the upgrades I plan on getting for that battle, so I think I'll need some of that magical hero crit miss luck. Still, what this has done has made me more excited at the possibility of a third campaign. Already my players have talked about the possibility of one, and while that is still a little ways away from now I too would quite like that. I'd like to put the threat of city defense of Tamalir and other cities into play, and taking that out of this campaign has often felt like an element is missing. I think what I am trying to say is now that I've been seeing first hand how things develop, I hope after playing the Great Wyrm I never see a final battle again lol.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 8
The laws of probability are damned lucky they have no corporeal forms otherwise my foot would be jammed RIGHT UP THEIR ASSES! Seriously, that was, what, five, eight crit misses in a god-damned row!? DAMN YOU, GREY KER, this is somehow you fault!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 9
Hello again BGG! Last week we left our heroes at an encounter of The Blood Moon at the Corrupted Forest. We now return to the action just prior to delving the Silver Legendary Dungeon.

Pig in the Middle... with a Demon

Last time I made a huge gamble with playing Big Trouble to get an encounter that would give the heroes some difficulty to get by or stop them... and I failed on the draw to get anything workable.
This location had a few exit points, and worse than that the heroes only needed a flee to to continue on to Silver's Legendary Dungeon. Turn one, 3 out of 4 heroes fled the shortest path right off the map. Clearly, a great start here. The only good news is they had to go through my master demon's Aura 3, so I got more than a few fly by wounds. However, only one hero couldn't quite make it and risk getting bopped by the boss: dear slow and old Landrec. If he moved to the left path, so did the demon; if he moved to the right, the demon went to the right. And he had to stay out of sight because the demon did still have a pretty strong attack. At one point as the demon has low movement (but Soar to get around trees), Landrec thought he had almost gotten around the demon but with the encounter rules letting me trade in threat for movement points, he got surprised by a pretty strong attack that connected. Eventually he got tired of going back and forth and decided he just had to risk death to get out of here, and that was really all he could do. Picked a side, sat face to face with it, ate a big attack (and Aura) but didn't die. Crippled of course, but lived. Pictured on the right was a frustrated old man, trying to decide which way to go while a demon waited with glee. Alas, no kills were made from either side, and the party got away to safety. Shucks.

Silver Legendary Dungeon
The Great Super Snake Hallway

Well let me first off start by saying both Eliza and Alric are fortifying this dungeon, so right at the start both Doom and Brilliant Commander were in play for free, and also do not count against silver's 3 power card rule.
So in theory, I was off to a good start as I know they were going to go to the end no matter what basically. So what did I need to help make it harder? A good dungeon draw, and man, this might have been the coolest one yet for a Beast player. The bosses were 2 master nagas and while there was a dragon on the map it was just a decoration. For this was Sea Dragon's Lair at The Fool's Rapids, and it spawned free razorwings if there was less than 2 on the board. But the key here was a long corridor of the two boss master nagas. Each one has at gold level, Command 2 and Sorcery 4 and it stacks with each other. Oh, and turn one I spawned a beastmen war party and the master with Command 1 stuck beside the both of them. Each naga would attack with a bonus nine wounds on top of whatever the white/green/green/yellow/gold/black (don't forget Doom!) would roll. Absolutely devastating. The first hero death would be an Astarra that would clear the area by the dragon for loot, then later Nara would unfortunately have his/her nice new Grinding Axe fall victim to a Crushing Blow. Soon as the hero party advanced down near the glyph, the boss naga death row would begin to take some shots and it positively destroyed some wounds. One player happened to accidentally state that he had the Preventing Evil feat in hand and regretted not stopping the Crushing Blow, which now put me in panic mode. I had two cards I wanted to play, a Rage with the death dealing boss nagas and my favorite power card, Evil Genius. I tried my best to tease out that card with some Aims, a Dodge and some other stuff too. I really, really didn't want to pop a Rage on a Naga and have it get nullified. At one point a full health angry Nara got close to the nagas... and got one shotted by a hit of 23 damage, holy crap that was awesome! Soon though the heroes were coming back in from town heals by the glyph near the bosses, as shown in the right image. As Laurel snuck up to explode some Rapid Fire goodness up close, I tried to drop a Crushing Block to block some LOS but that was the move that finally triggered the Preventing Evil and it nullified my card. Unfortunately, while Nagas are still pretty durable... they're not that durable. Laurel destroyed them both on the same turn as they had some little paltry damage on each before she stepped up. I am quite saddened that with attacks that powerful I only got off a couple shots, so I wonder if I should have spent that Rage here. Such a shame. After those two went down, no further deaths to report here, but I will add flying master razorwings make my hero players crazy. Just get in and shoot, get out and block stuff. Such fun. Any way, I did manage to barely score enough threat at the end to get Evil Genius out in play however, so that would help. On to the next level!

The Batman Manticore, aka Batcore

Hey so remember when I said my hero players don't like hit and run creatures like razorwings?
Well with that in mind, welcome to The Black Depths. The boss here is a gold level manticore, and each turn I roll a dice to see if heroes LOS range does down. The fun part is that when the boss manticore is out of hero LOS (Boggs has no effect), he may disappear and reappear anywhere where the heroes do not have LOS. Holy hell was this an awesome map to play! You'll note on the left that if the heroes blitz by having Astarra run in and the other heroes wait in town for next turn, the boss could teleport in the shadows and be somewhere else... and that is basically how this whole map went down, check the image on the right. From the shadows a manticore boss would appear around a corner, fire off his raged quick shot attacks and dart back out to safety only to teleport out again. Guerrilla attacks all day along, attacking from the shadows only to disappear again like Batman. A giant monster who always lands on a rock type of Batman. So effective was it, the boss managed to kill big tough Nara for the second time today, kills Laurel for fun, and then its minions finishing off Astarra from quick shot poundings, see the bottom image for its aftermath of destruction. Eventually though I did run out of room to run and the heroes did catch me, but this map took so long to do that I garnered enough threat to put into play Hordes of the Things and also Trapmaster, locking down my available powers for the dungeon. Frankly I hesitated on Hordes and Trapmaster, as Hordes I've never really thought is very good, and Trapmaster just isn't that strong compared to what it was like when I was a Spider Queen avatar. Still, its not like there was much left to pick from and the deck had already gotten cycled right at the end of our session. The good news is Hordes will do well with Brilliant Commander, as I can always take the extra Beastmen and I can make one a master for Command. That's pretty solid I think. After the teleporting boss was down it didn't take too much longer after prepping for the next level with getting some temple heals in. So after a stressful two levels that took almost 2 hours apiece, we called it quits but elected to pull the next floor so that we could set up faster for next time (I am hosting and have the game, so I can have it built before my guests arrive). Spoil not the next floor for my heroes, but we did draw the name of the next level for all to see: Mirabelle's Fall.

Conquest Standings
This week gains weren't all that crazy compared to some reports, as this was a mentally exhausting session. Lots of time were spent each turn discussing each move and play, and I too was stressing about how to move figures in the snake death line for maximum boosts and worrying about feats being played. That all said, I think the heroes did really well and our gains were almost dead even and around 20 per side (I think I gained 2 more than they did but that is pretty much nothing). So that brings us to Heroes 144, Overlord 248.

Equipment Staff of Punishment, Elven Robe, Mana Weave, Ring of Protection
2 Power Potions
Copper HP Training
Silver HP Training
3 Silver Dice

Equipment Scythe of Reaping, Dwarven Fire Bombs, Heavy Leather Armor, Ghost Armor
2 Fatigue Potions
Copper Fatigue Training
Silver HP Training
4 Black Dice

Equipment Serpent Blade, Shield of Light, Walking Stick, Chain Mail, Belt of Strength, Bracers of Might
1 Power Potion
Copper HP Training
Silver Fatigue Training
2 Black Dice
2 Silver Dice

Equipment Immolation, Crystal Shield, Iron Shield, Cloak of Mists
1 Power Potion
Copper HP Training
Silver Fatigue Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Upgrades: Traitors Abound, Siege Engines, Diamond Scales, Dragonfear, Focused, Protective Magics, Big Trouble (used)

Where to go from here
Well first, I want to talk a little bit about what happened here. My Overlord deck was just rocking tonight. I know, random card draws this and that, but it just was. With 4 event, 1 trap treachery weeding out some bad cards and just having Focused bought and played with for the first time here, all the crap I don't use is out and its all great cards now. If I added any more treachery, I would actually have to begin removing good cards to make room for it. And you know what? I love this, its making me in dungeons much more potent. I will definitely try to do this earlier on in a campaign, with buying Focused earlier and more and more treachery. Hell, I don't think you can have enough treachery, it is just so good it feels like I'm stacking the deck sometimes. Anyway, I think I'm doing the best I can do make this hard on the heroes but I know there isn't anything I can do to get them to flee this dungeon so I know I gotta do what damage I can to minimize time spent in gold. I have five powers in play: Doom!, Brilliant Commander, Hordes, Evil Genius and Trapmaster, so I don't think I can do any more there. So it just means there will be more and more spawns with the threat now, which should be huge. As far as more long term goals go, we are a piddly 8 CT away from gold so when we exit it'll be gold time. I can see that if I do get extra time and CT I might buy more treachery as I'm an addict of it now, but I probably won't have the time or resources. I've got a lot of avatar upgrades to get yet, and I think keeping Eldritch monsters as a secondary creature upgrade to beasts is feeling pretty mandatory right now so I may have to spend on that too. But I'm not worried. I think the signs look good for a third campaign, as I think hero spirits will probably be on the up and up after getting tricked out from this dungeon and seeing some gold weapons come out as well. But I guess that is a little bit too forward thinking so I'll just keep my mind on this campaign for now.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel cuthbert
United States
Northern Colorado
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider, I have to say, that with me taking a brief hiatus, your expertise in the game is greatly appreciated. It is nice to have another top end AC'er. I appreciate your session reports too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel cuthbert
United States
Northern Colorado
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I noticed that you have not restocked at the market or alchemist during or at the end of dungeons. Did they take this away with the new FAQ, or have I been playing it wrong the whole time?

Maybe you just don't want to waste gold on weapons?

I try to at least hit up the market right before I go to level 2 of the dungeon. You get 2 random coppers to purchase for 250 gold.

Also to note, a Dark Elf with Shadow Cloak can still be hit with a Reach weapon, as long as the attacker is not adjacent. You could have played it right, but there isn't even in the write up to know if you did or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel cuthbert
United States
Northern Colorado
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to keep adding this, but I think Section 8 is playing the hero group terribly. A runner isn't to just run in there to pick up things, and then sacrifice them. Also Blitzing is being able to negate OL CT, not to let them have a few kills here and there.

Looking at descentcampaigntracker.com (awesome plug, awesome program, every AC'er should use it) Astarra has died 25+ times, while all others have died less than 10. It just goes to show you are using her incorrectly.

I am glad you guys are playing the game. I think 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 games are much more exciting. Having a hero group that can make fast decisions turns into LONG games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments Joel! Let me address a few things here.

As far as restocks go, my group has been doing that each dungeon. Usually what happens is they go shopping (market and sometimes alchemist, they tend to have a strong stock of potions from chest results) either in preparation for the next dungeon level or when someone is sitting in town yet to come back, either from a temple heal or from coming back after a death. However getting weapons wasn't a problem in copper, but you might have noticed we rocketed through silver with lightning speed. We entered the age I think 20 CT already through, did some market time with a fair bit of bad luck (no real weapons) and only I think one, maybe two dungeons from there before attempting the silver legendary and we are going to be in gold when its done. In short they have been trying for weapons, but its just not happening. I'm sure the luck is about to change eventually though.

In regards to the Deep Elf, a Deep Elf with Shadowcloak cannot be hit unless the attacker is adjacent; its Ghost you are thinking of that Reach can work around. And sorry if I missed what happened with that figure way back when, but what I remember most was the big whirl of death and being gobsmacked by the play with the mistake I did in clustering them that day. That was one mistake I definitely remembered to not repeat!

I should mention that while this campaign originally started as a 1v1, its now a 1v2, I've just never updated the campaign titles on the tracker website. Now, I still play the Overlord, but Section_8 plays Laurel and Astarra while our friend Kensei plays Nara and Landrec. Section_8 would probably love some feedback, tips or suggestions too as he does read this thread probably once a week. Kensei to my knowledge does not stop by despite my suggesting he does. So right now, it appears to continue as 1v2 until the end of the campaign.

Astarra has been definitely a source of both CT and frustration, I quite have a hate for Acrobat as you probably guessed. Regardless, my group often treats Astarra as the runner to open up glyphs and loot as she should, however if they have a habit that is hard to break is putting her into a situation that she can't get back out of. That's how she is practically guaranteed a death per floor, extras are just a welcomed bonus. The thought on our side is speed is king before I have threat for multiple spawns (or before total lockdown on LOS with heroes plus Boggs), so sacrificing a 2 CT character is generally preferable to sacrifing a 3 or 4 pointer. Most of the time since Acrobat, they move too fast for me to get anything besides a kill on Astarra without the luck of the dice gods. They seem to favor a 3 turn style of play:

1b) Run Astarra to end glyph, grab as much loot as possible on the way. Heroes port to town.
1b) Survive OL turn, Astarra likely dies.
2a) Hero team ports back in by second glyph, usually by boss, gank it dead and begin exiting to next level. Astarra goes for remaining loot, or gets to join the fray for damage now that the loot runner task is done.
2b) OL tries to do as much damage without the boss as I can, gum up exits, cut heroes off from the group or exit, etc.
3a) A hero stops in town for heals or shopping, others get out via portal and whatnot. Astarra will try to run to portal ideally.
3b) I cry for speedy blitzing.

And also for what its worth, I'm not sure its possible to control my CT much anymore. I mean yes, you can limit what you take from deaths, but I get 5 CT per game week and bonus CT per chest, so it does just plain add up.

Still, I'd love some other opinions to share on being a better runner so please let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
In our defense, the OL had the perfect layout for both floors: Gold and Silver minions out the ass, and lots of terrain for him to turtle with. AND a teleporting boss. I think the only thing we did wrong (which was my fault) was forgetting about a feat that could have stopped crushing blow. Damned ax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
As for Runwitch dying? Every hit on her is one less hit on the guys who can actually do damage. Until we can get a decent weapon for her (she's still got Immolation for cripessake!), she's good for two things only: running and drawing fire.

Sure, I could play conservatively and try to not get her killed, but every Beastman War Party on her is one less on Laurel or Landric. And opening up glyphs for feats and chests for loot is vital for our momentum. The entire reason we blitzed three floors of the Copper Legendary was Runwitch making "suicide" runs to trigger glyphs. If I'd played her slow and safe, the OL would've whomped us with threat and spawns.

Case in point. On the Batman level, Runwitch tied up about six models worth of minions before going down, giving the rest of the team time enough to port in and nuke them, and forcing the OL to "waste" attacks on her to make sure she wasn't in his line of sight. On that same floor, she sucked up two traps that could've been used (far more effectively) to neuter Laurel. When she did attack and play conservative, she barely managed to take out a Copper beastman.

Yeah, she dies a lot. But because she does, no one else on the team croaks nearly as often. Basically, when Runwitch dies, the rest of the team lives and the map gets cleared.

Frankly, I've no idea how to get glyphs and treasure fast without putting her in positions that will get her shredded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enter the Dragonlord - Our Second Campaign - End of Session 10
Hello again BGG, welcome to another session report. This week things were cut a bit short, a late arrival time for a player coupled with what was expected to be a long final level for the legendary dungeon meant this one is just a small one floor update. But believe me, it was eventful! Read on.

Sometimes, one mistake is all that you need

As mentioned from last week, the floor was going to be Mirabelle's Fall. This had a boss naga with extra wounds and armor, with some stun. The gimmick to this floor was a large pit area and on each start of the OL turn, every monster and then every hero figure would be pulled one space towards the nearest pit, with the boss being immune.
So if you'll look to your left you'll see the initial loadout for the floor, and that door by the razorwing is a blue runelock as well, so no early big group rushes for the heroes. Initially the hero plan was to blitz the level with acrobat Astarra, grabbing the runekey and moving on up to let the others port to town to bop the boss. Well, for whatever reason as the move was completing and Astarra ended her movement 1 space away from triggering the glyph, I asked if her turn was done. She flipped the turn token over and said yes, and there was a definite facepalm moment when they realized the mistake from a hasty end of turn it was. What happened you ask? Well for starters, an Overlord with Charge meant the Naga with its saucy Command 2 opened the runelocked door and began blasting away at the heroes, and then soon was bolstered with the rest of the horde of razorwings, master sorcerer and even a master beastman with another Command as well. It was a bloody massacre! Even worse for the heroes, there was enough room for the Naga to move up to make sure the runner couldn't run past it thanks due to Grapple, preventing Astarra from triggering the glyph like she normally does. Oops, to say the least. Well next it didn't seem too bad, as soon the heroes would be able to retaliate and smash some faces on their turn right? Well you would think that, however the dice gods decided to also curse the heroes and they rolled crit miss after crit miss after crit miss! In a following turn, I spawned some Blood Apes seeing how I actually had spawn points out of hero LoS for change and didn't have to worry about Boggs the Rat locking down the map at the moment. On top of that, my unlucky streak with Leap attacks finally came to end, when a gold Blood Ape did a huge 12 space leap across the floor smacking 2 heroes at the same time, under a combined total of Command 3! Ouch, even big tank Nara died to that. Not to mention so did Astarra, and the Raging attacks of the Naga boss took out Laurel was well. Yes, that was about 3 or 4 deaths by the heroes by OL turn 3 or so. Awful, awful time for them. Again, the chance for sweet revenge came up and... crit miss, crit miss, crit miss! It was positively ridiculous, and as such the dice gods decided to "try" to even out the luck. On a respawn, Astarra grabbed the lone treasure chest and the draw produced not one, not two but three treasures, all of which were very valuable considering that in our campaign drawing weapons has been a difficult time for the heroes. Drawing up Lifedrinker, Drain Life and Aldar's Mirror in the second to last dungeon floor before gold level was luckily a boon... and almost the only one they had. The following turns continued to destroy heroes, as nobody could get close enough to the boss naga to stop that evil Command 2 for triggering for all of my creatures, until it came down to Nara on an advance. Fearing a trap stopping movement, Nara made her way up to the front line and even popped a feat for Reach to minimize travelling distance, then ate a power potion and then was poised to attack. Shame then for Nara, that the overlord played Weakness to eliminate all power dice for the attack, almost insult to injury! There was a little solace taken for that move however, as it too resulted in a crit miss and as a result the Weakness card was basically wasted, but man what luck today. On the right, you'll notice the huge cluster of tightly packed monsters feeding on Command bonuses that blocked up and choked the corridor, and I still had room to spawn more razorwings back by the boss room. However as all death fests in Road to Legend will eventually turn out, the heroes can just keep throwing bodies back at nearly impossible situations until they can force a win, as shown in the picture below, just mere moments before the final hero assault took down the boss Naga and began to set up a successful exit strategy to the next level. With the long time this dungeon took and a shortened play session, we decided to call it right there and at least in theory change the heroes dice luck to whatever happens next session. But, what a massacre this was. Death count was Laurel 3, Nara 2, Astarra 1 and Landrec once... but what a death Landrec's was! On the exit strategy, both Landrec and Nara were side by side waiting at the start glyph and prepared to wait out to get to the next level. I had utterly crippled Landrec leaving him with a measly 2 wounds but had purposefully left him at that. I felt it was more advantageous to have him crippled and either A) waste turns in town healing or B) die early on the next floor and have him waste time getting back into the action, so that's why I opted not to take a kill. However, Nara at the glyph readied Guard to try and swat away any last attacks from razorwings, and got not quite the opportunity he expected. On my turn, I played Dark Charm and got it to stick on Landrec, what with his shiny new Drain Life rune (with Pierce 2 plus surges for more) seemed tailored perfectly to maim or kill Nara... until Nara decided to pop the Guard cherry and smack Landrec to death and back for attempting such a thing! A great play if you ask me, it avoided a crippled Landrec coming into the next floor (likely would have been killed either way) at the risk of a healthier Nara coming in who might have taken pretty critical damage. Man, what a floor. My conquest total for this floor alone? 22. Holy crap.

Conquest Standings
As you probably guessed from that Festival of Hero Deaths, the OL did very well here with the largest gains. Duh, to be honest. Heroes 149, Overlord 270.

Equipment Drain Life, Staff of Punishment, Elven Robe, Mana Weave, Ring of Protection, Lifedrinker
1 Power Potion(s)
Copper HP Training
Silver HP Training
3 Silver Dice

Equipment Scythe of Reaping, Dwarven Fire Bombs, Heavy Leather Armor, Ghost Armor
0 Potion(s)
Copper Fatigue Training
Silver HP Training
4 Black Dice

Equipment Serpent Blade, Shield of Light, Walking Stick, Chain Mail, Belt of Strength, Bracers of Might
0 Potion(s)
Copper HP Training
Silver Fatigue Training
2 Black Dice
2 Silver Dice

Equipment Immolation, Crystal Shield, Iron Shield, Cloak of Mists, Aldar's Mirror
1 Power Potion(s)
Copper HP Training
Silver Fatigue Training
2 Black Dice
1 Silver Die

Where to go from here
Man oh man, what a massacre. The worst performance of the entire campaign for CT loss and it all came from one easy to make accident. If that blitz would have happened, it would have changed everything on how I'd have to play that level like setting up the Naga to autograpple heroes entering from the glyph. I would have had to try to rely on setting up an impossible to move off the glyph scenario, which while it would have been possible, would have been awfully limiting and I wouldn't have got anything else done while I waited for heroes to breach the door. Still, I really can't complain with the result on this floor. This also means its just the finale to the silver Legendary Dungeon left to go, so we will see how that goes. I think the heroes very much are looking forward to the rewards especially after going through this trial by fire here. As a strategy note for the heroes, I did see another mistake they could have fixed but didn't on this map, and it might have changed some things. Boggs can move through figures, and while he was in a good position initially (see the pic on the right side), you guys never moved him again. If they snuck him through enemy lines to camp out the boss spawn room I might not have gotten things out later like extra razorwings and possibly even the blood apes, although it might have been close for the apes. Afterall, all the heroes that kept getting stuck in the early level had spawns on lockdown anyway. On the upside, more and more talk and discussion about a third campaign so I am pretty optimistic right now that this won't be the last series of session reports for RtL for me right now, very cool to hear. So until next time, let me just remind people to be absolutely sure before you flip your turn marker over and see you all next week.

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.