Subject: Card backs darker than base game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Here's a pic of mine. No flash, but even so, I feel the contrast has been exaggerated by the camera. Nowhere near as extreme as the OP's pic.

Maybe not "extreme" but if FFG were a painting and decorating outfit, theyd'd be in court every other day of the week. That doesn't look acceptable to me - and I'm a huge fan of their stuff. Poor response from them, frankly.

FFP. Flying Frog Productions.

FFG is Fantasy Flight Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this mainly related to the Coast? Meaning, I've been eyeing Coast and HP2 for AToE, but also Timber Peak for LNoE. I did make a thread about Corner Locations having different shades of color on them with either HP1 or SW, but the pics posted look way worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Is this mainly related to the Coast? Meaning, I've been eyeing Coast and HP2 for AToE, but also Timber Peak for LNoE. I did make a thread about Corner Locations having different shades of color on them with either HP1 or SW, but the pics posted look way worse.

I don't have Timber Peak, but I have the rest of the expansions and only noticed a color difference with Growing Hunger for LNoE. Here's a pic of the difference on those cards:

Not as bad as The Coast, but still noticeable when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have SotF and HP1 for LNoE and don't recall any eye-catching differences in the card back color shades in the stacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, another person with a printing background. The variation of those cards is completely unacceptable. That applies to both the aToE and LNoE cards shown in this thread.

This isn't a borderline thing, those would be flat out rejected and the pressman would probably be raked over the coals (if not outright fired) for allowing a variation that obvious. Other game companies take this sort of thing seriously, and I don't know why FFP can't or doesn't care enough to contract with a vendor with more stringent QA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:
I don't know why FFP can't or doesn't care enough to contract with a vendor with more stringent QA.

Because we are stupid and keep paying them, regardless of the crap that they churn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
crackbone wrote:
I don't know why FFP can't or doesn't care enough to contract with a vendor with more stringent QA.

Because we are stupid and keep paying them, regardless of the crap that they churn out.

I haven't bought the new set yet. This is ridiculous.
On a side note I even sent this thread to Jason Hill on bgg here and got no response and he hasn't posted here..... This is horrible customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
crackbone wrote:

I sure as hell won't be buying AToE or expansions after seeing that pic and hearing their response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
crackbone wrote:

I haven't bought the new set yet. This is ridiculous.
On a side note I even sent this thread to Jason Hill on bgg here and got no response and he hasn't posted here..... This is horrible customer service.

I wonder if they are backed into a corner either based on an earlier inexperienced decision regarding the printer when they were starting out or that they are locked into a contract or don't know the limits on which they can refuse printed product and demand it reprinted or maintain a poor quality workflow with the printer, I don't know. Maybe this is all inexperience. They pour such thought and focus into the visual details of their games and I'm sure they don't like the differences in the cards, I get the feeling their hands are tied for some reason or another, whether by their doing or outside reasons.

I like their games and want to buy more, but this one simple correctable issue is preventing me from doing so. C'mon FFP, help me be the loyal customer I want to be. It's because I'm passionate about your games and your company that I'm frustrated and wish so much for this to be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I was going to pick up this expansion for Christmas, but based on this thread, I won't be. I'll wait for a suitable reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I need to get me one of those cool overtext things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, you're all going to skewer me as a "fanboy" for saying this, but as someone who owns the expansion this just doesn't bother me that much. It's mildly annoying at best. And there's a simple "sleeve the cards" solution at worst. I agree, FFP quality control should be better, but this hasn't stopped me from enjoying this expansion. I'm not disappointed I bought it, and I'm glad I get to enhance my play experience with this expansion.

I guess, though, without someone willing to take a stand (which many of you admirably are able to do), FFP may just keep doing more of the same. So I applaud those of you who are willing to take a stand for quality control. But for me, it's not such a deal-breaker.

Please be gentle on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Okay, you're all going to skewer me as a "fanboy" for saying this, but as someone who owns the expansion this just doesn't bother me that much. It's mildly annoying at best. And there's a simple "sleeve the cards" solution at worst. I agree, FFP quality control should be better, but this hasn't stopped me from enjoying this expansion. I'm not disappointed I bought it, and I'm glad I get to enhance my play experience with this expansion.

I guess, though, without someone willing to take a stand (which many of you admirably are able to do), FFP may just keep doing more of the same. So I applaud those of you who are willing to take a stand for quality control. But for me, it's not such a deal-breaker.

Please be gentle on me.

Thumb'ed & agree 100%. Bought it, played it, loved it, minor (IMO), but regrettable, quality issues did not change that one bit. Neither will all the name calling in the world. Makes me sad that others are going to miss out based on something that might be a non-issue when seen in person or introduced in play, but I'll continue to enjoy it regardless.
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M00NSYLVER wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

Please be gentle on me.

Thumb'ed & agree 100%. Bought it, played it, loved it, minor (IMO), but regrettable, quality issues did not change that one bit. Neither will all the name calling in the world. Makes me sad that others are going to miss out based on something that might be a non-issue when seen in person or introduced in play, but I'll continue to enjoy it regardless.
---MS

Unless the pictures lie(or you are extremely color blind) There is nothing minor about this kind of color change in a deck of cards that are supposed to be indistinguishable from each other. This is unacceptable. I very much enjoy FFP's games but this is disgraceful. They need to fix. Somehow. If it is only a few of the decks of cards that's not a big deal to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:

Please be gentle on me.

I also agree that it's fixable, but that isn't the point. I was ticked off when the Ascension expansions were of different card thickness than the orignals, but what can you do? If you want to play the game, you have to deal with the issues. Doesn't mean I have to like it. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I'm far more put off by the customer service response than the actual defect. That's primarily because I'm in the print industry and I know how things work and they have not been handled appropriately here. It's entirely possible that an honest mistake was made and now it's too late to correct it. Fine. Then say so. But when they say that the defect is within tolerable limits, that's plainly wrong (by objective industry standards). I don't want to say someone is lying, but trust me, there is no corner of the professional print industry that would consider such a thing within tolerable limits. Being told otherwise is, well, a bit off-putting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:

Please be gentle on me.

I agree with you, it is mildly annoying and had I not known about it and bought the game I would I have probably just gone to the game closet and pulled out the card sleeves. As it stands now I will probably hold off a while to see if it gets fixed in another printing.

As I pointed out in my post I feel that most of the expansions I have bought have this problem. Even way back in Talisman 2nd ed one of the expansions had very different colored card backs.

I just wish that the game industry as a whole (which for me pretty much means Ameritrash) would stand up to the printers and stop accepting:
* different ink colors on cards
* misaligned fronts and backs on cards
* horrible typos
* miniatures of different sizes and plastic color
* the ever decreasing quality of boards, cards, and minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

Please be gentle on me.

I agree with you, it is mildly annoying and had I not known about it and bought the game I would I have probably just gone to the game closet and pulled out the card sleeves. As it stands now I will probably hold off a while to see if it gets fixed in another printing.

As I pointed out in my post I feel that most of the expansions I have bought have this problem. Even way back in Talisman 2nd ed one of the expansions had very different colored card backs.

I just wish that the game industry as a whole (which for me pretty much means Ameritrash) would stand up to the printers and stop accepting:
* different ink colors on cards
* misaligned fronts and backs on cards
* horrible typos
* miniatures of different sizes and plastic color
* the ever decreasing quality of boards, cards, and minis

Most board game sleeves are clear. This is so you can easily separate the various types of cards. So sadly sleeves won't fix this for this issues.

The different colors of minis are annoying but not as much as cards of the same types being different shades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Most board game sleeves are clear. This is so you can easily separate the various types of cards. So sadly sleeves won't fix this for this issues.

The different colors of minis are annoying but not as much as cards of the same types being different shades.

But when you are a recovering sleever you have clear sleeves, sleeves with different colored backs, and sleeves with Melisandre on the back.

I forgot to mention the different sized cards in expansions problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

But when you are recovering sleever you have clear sleeves, sleeves with different colored backs, and sleeves with Melisandre on the back.

Heh. Those sleeves are for other games... Like any one of the number of Dead CCG's I play or live LCG's I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Unless the pictures lie(or you are extremely color blind) There is nothing minor about this kind of color change in a deck of cards that are supposed to be indistinguishable from each other.

I do feel the pictures exaggerate the difference a bit, it's not as noticeable in real life IMO, especially when shuffled together & sitting in a deck where you can't see more than one card at a time anyway. My color vision is fine, & I did say the issue was minor IN MY OPINION because it has in no way affected my ability to use or enjoy the expansion.
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
But when you are a recovering sleever you have clear sleeves, sleeves with different colored backs, and sleeves with Melisandre on the back.

You can RECOVER from being a sleever? I don't sleeve believe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All cards are affected or only SECRETS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I need to get me one of those cool overtext things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallensteinwojtek wrote:
All cards are affected or only SECRETS?

All cards are darker. It's mostly noticeable for the secrets and gives you a clue that an elder has a coast secret. The mystery card and event cards are less noticeable or bothersome.

Still, knowing that an elder has a coast secret hasn't really been a game changer for me...you still don't know if it's good, evil, or neutral. You're still go ing to want to take a sneak at the secrets before revealing if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Sarcasmo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I can't believe no one here hasn't mentioned the controversy that happened when Growing Hunger came out, and the boards were insanely different than the original boards. That was way back in 2008, and I don't think they changed printers, because they still suck as bad.

Basically the short version goes something like this: Jason came in on page two of the conversation all hurty-feelings. It turns out that the original boards for the first printing of LNOE were actually too dark, and the new light boards were they was they were "supposed" to be and that from the second printing on, the boards would all match the new, lighter boards from Growing Hunger. Needless to say, this didn't impress us first-print owners. Their solution was to offer the new boards at a price. I believe I paid $15 with shipping, although that was five years ago and I don't remember the exact number. A lot of us remained unimpressed, but moved on.

If you want the long version, here it is: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/304587/growing-disappointmen...

It reminds me very much of this conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're totally right. I completely forgot about how pissed I was, being a 1st print owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.