Subject: Ending the game using the Portraits expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: the supplementary guide with the expansion rules gives a new way to end the game with the Portraits expansion: when the final two portraits are revealed, this signals the last round.

My question is: is this a second way the game can end in addition to the base game's ending rules of having 6 or less fresco tiles on the board at the beginning of a round? Or do you just go with the game ending rules for the Portraits expansion instead of the base game's rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Quick question: the supplementary guide with the expansion rules gives a new way to end the game with the Portraits expansion: when the final two portraits are revealed, this signals the last round.

My question is: is this a second way the game can end in addition to the base game's ending rules of having 6 or less fresco tiles on the board at the beginning of a round? Or do you just go with the game ending rules for the Portraits expansion instead of the base game's rules?

Another game ending condition in addition to the base ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games using the Portraits expansion, the game has never ended with the final two portraits being revealed to signal the last round. But it usually comes within a round of being applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it's just an alternate way for the game to end. I have never seen it happen, usually the Fresco tiles are painted quickly enough that the game ends via the normal method (6 or less unpainted tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
it's just an alternate way for the game to end. I have never seen it happen, usually the Fresco tiles are painted quickly enough that the game ends via the normal method (6 or less unpainted tiles).

I have seen it happen....but only in conjunction with another game ender triggering as well.

The thing with this game end trigger is that it is a set amount of rounds. The only reason why I can see it being introduced is if someone found a way to drag out the game and avoid the other triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree with all that has been said. Just one thing to add is that when we think of the game ending when the fresco is down to the last 6 tiles, in reality as soon as you enter the round with the last tiles this just signifies that you are in the last round. Therefore you could be virtually down to the last tile if enough of the fresco is restored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Soroceanu
msg tools
Quick question:

Is this ending mode mandatory if I play with portraits, or I can still end the game by the usual rules? I did go past 9 turns (the maximum number of card pairs) and ended the game in the usual way.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venian wrote:
Quick question:

Is this ending mode mandatory if I play with portraits, or I can still end the game by the usual rules? I did go past 9 turns (the maximum number of card pairs) and ended the game in the usual way.

Thank you!

Yes, it is mandatory. You could houserule it but make sure all players know that before the game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:

If I was mad enough (and I usually am) to include most of the expansions into a crazy mix of a game, I reckon that this would not only deliver a vast amount of options and strategies, as well as increase the play time significantly. Additionally, I would think that due to the additional actions presented by, say, the Glass-Blowers, the Medicus or the Gold-thingie, the game would increase in necessity of rounds. Especially if you (as I intend) add in more than one of those into the mix...

So, here's the question:
Do you still think the game end condition regarding the Portraits makes sense? Or might it cut the game undeservedly short...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still keep it in. It has been a while since I played with all the expansions we own and while it was a brain burner of a game with lots of things to think about, I don't think the actual average rounds varied much from a standard game.

So I still think this expansion is a good safe guard to prevent the game from continuing on. If anything it might be even more important with all the expansion so you still have your primary focus on finishing the fresco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.