Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Understanding fly and soar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
The rules seem to imply that a flying creature does block LOS as any, and is protected from sight (for attack and spawning purposes) as any.

But it is said that a soaring creature (which includes all flying ones) is above the ground at all times, excepted when attacking in melee.
How can one conciliate this with the above ?

And BTW, are you allowed to attack a flying creature when it flies over an obstacle, and it is allowed to attack from there ? (and does it depend on the type of attack)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, yes the Flying/Soaring figure blocks line of sight even though it would be off the ground and probably out of the field of vision. Completely and utterly illogical, but I think they made it that way for gameplay purposes. Extra rules so that someone looks at a board of figures and tries to lean in to look for line of sight and some figures block and some don't... I guess that was deemed too much of a hassle. So yeah, we're bound by a creature soaring 10 meters in the air blocking LOS and movement too. Silly, but there it is, explicitly in the FAQ.

I remember the rules stated a soaring creature can only be stuck when it comes in for a melee type attack, called a Swoop, in case of a melee hero using a Guard action. Normally, he just plain couldn't attack it but this was his only work around for it. However that was for outdoor Soaring, and not indoor Flying. Flying it is assumed, the creatures are trapped by a ceiling of sorts and are still hittable by melee attacks and thus have zero issues there.

As far as a figure with Fly who occupies an obstacle on a flyby for an attack, that would be fine too. Note that if its attack was guarded and then made unable to move (like it was given Web) it would still not be moved off of the obstacle. The rules in the FAQ for impassible terrain note that it is always impassable, but with exceptions of Soar and thus Fly as well. Also a little silly perhaps but not as bad as LOS rules on Soaring creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
The rules seem to imply that a flying creature does block LOS as any, and is protected from sight (for attack and spawning purposes) as any.

But it is said that a soaring creature (which includes all flying ones) is above the ground at all times, excepted when attacking in melee.
How can one conciliate this with the above ?

Solid shadows.
Badly in other words.
Its clearly a case of KISS where extra rules were considered too complicating. Along with pit LOS its one of the few places where it is truly hard to argue a thematic answer.

Quote:
And BTW, are you allowed to attack a flying creature when it flies over an obstacle, and it is allowed to attack from there ? (and does it depend on the type of attack)

FAQ pg11
Q: Do things that block line of sight when traced through block line of sight into (or out of) their own spaces?
A: Line of sight is only checked between the originating space and the target space. Things that block line of sight in either the originating space or the target space do not count. A figure with Fly or Acrobat on a rubble space may both attack and be targeted. Special rules (such as fog) may change this general rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.