Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Some time after BGG.Con at the earliest.

An announcement of new items available in the Store will be made on the front page module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Saint-Laurent
Quebec
flag msg tools
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
w00t
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hessen
United States
Merrick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Some time after BGG.Con at the earliest.

An announcement of new items available in the Store will be made on the front page module.

Thanks for this, now I can stop checking each day for a while

But hopefully not TOO long to go. I just got my expansion set in today and it's easier to clean, prime, and paint all the figures together but I can only wait so long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's, um, available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
It's, um, available now.

...but for twice the price of most any other expansion in the store (you have to buy two $5 promos), to say nothing of the fact that I don't own any of the games whose promos we have to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Now that is completely lame. I neither own, nor want to own, any of the games in that list. Unacceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Were we to sell the Treebeard promo it would cost $10. We can't sell it directly because of the license, so we worked out this alternative which is essentially the same. Actually you end up getting more. Worst case scenario is you get two promos you don't want and can't give away but end up paying the same amount anyway were we able to sell Treebeard directly.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can accept that I guess. I still feel it's kind of high but what choice do I have? After painting my entire set and pimping out the component I can't NOT have a Treebeard figure. That would just be silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Were we to sell the Treebeard promo it would cost $10. We can't sell it directly because of the license, so we worked out this alternative which is essentially the same. Actually you end up getting more. Worst case scenario is you get two promos you don't want and can't give away but end up paying the same amount anyway were we able to sell Treebeard directly.

-MMM

So why not offer the Treebeard promo free with any $10 purchase from the BGG store? That way, most of us would not be buying two promos that we don't want (and in my case, can't even give away unless someone wanted to pay postage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn folks use your head...

Buy Tree beard for $10 and get two promos you dont need, then put them up in the G4GG auction!...get some gold out of it.

Itsa not that hard to see this is a killer deal...

Cmmon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Were we to sell the Treebeard promo it would cost $10. We can't sell it directly because of the license, so we worked out this alternative which is essentially the same.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. It helps to know what you clarified. If it would have been $10 anyway, then this actually turns out to be a pretty good arrangement after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glynr wrote:
So why not offer the Treebeard promo free with any $10 purchase from the BGG store? That way, most of us would not be buying two promos that we don't want (and in my case, can't even give away unless someone wanted to pay postage).

If the deal was a Treebeard with any purchase of two promos:

1) There would be a lot of false-positives.
2) We'd be giving a way a lot of Treebeards with no benefit to BGG.

This method:

1) Allows Ares Games to distribute the promos into a lot of peoples' hands quickly and easily.
2) Allows fans of the game to pick up the promo reasonably. As Matthew mentioned, this likely would have been a $10 promo if we were allowed to sell it directly anyways.
3) Allows BGG to clear out stock of some slow moving promos.

If we carry a promo, there has to be some benefit of carrying it to BGG. In most cases, the benefit is that we make money. Since we can't actually sell this one, the benefit of this one is that it allows us to clear some slow moving stock.

If the extra promos you get are a burden to you, there are always ways to rid yourself of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Damn folks use your head...

Buy Tree beard for $10 and get two promos you dont need, then put them up in the G4GG auction!...get some gold out of it.

Itsa not that hard to see this is a killer deal...

Cmmon.

While I'm sure there are many people who will agree with you and I'm quite certain this will sell out in a heartbeat, not everyone (including me) thinks that it is a "killer deal". I am quite disappointed with BGG (and perhas Ares) for not coming up with a better solution. The number of promos that we can select to get the "free" Treebeard is quite limited. After these sell out, I hope more Treebeards will become available in the future and that they will then be paired with a wider variety of qualifying promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Glynr wrote:

This method:

1) Allows Ares Games to distribute the promos into a lot of peoples' hands quickly and easily.
2) Allows fans of the game to pick up the promo reasonably.

Chaddyboy,

I agree that case 3) does apply here. I fail to see how allowing people to receive a free Treebeard promo with a wider selection of promos would stop Ares from distributing the promo into a lot of peoples' hands quickly and easily or allow the fans of the game to pick up the promo reasonably.

I suspect both you and I expect this promo to sell out very quickly; I predict that there will be more than a few of them for sale on ebay at suitably inflated prices in the coming months so I don't believe this method eliminates what you term "false positives".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

I'd actually planned to buy 2 or 3 more copies of the Power Boat expansion from you (AWESOME game, the promo makes it better!), so this seems like a pretty generous offer to me

Purchase two items I'd already planned to buy, get Treebeard FREE!

Thanks Bgg!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I am sorry that the limitations of our license prevent our customers just to buy this figure, and put BGG in the difficult position to find a way to give it out for free in a way which makes economic sense to them.

Ares is not allowed to sell individual figures for War of the Ring, so this was the best solution we've been able to find to make the promo available, except for those lucky few who could be at Essen or Lucca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it works for me ... just glad to get the promo at all ... thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Glynr wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Glynr wrote:

This method:

2) Allows fans of the game to pick up the promo reasonably.

Chaddyboy,

I agree that case 3) does apply here. I fail to see how allowing people to receive a free Treebeard promo with a wider selection of promos would stop Ares from distributing the promo into a lot of peoples' hands quickly and easily or allow the fans of the game to pick up the promo reasonably.

I suspect both you and I expect this promo to sell out very quickly; I predict that there will be more than a few of them for sale on ebay at suitably inflated prices in the coming months so I don't believe this method eliminates what you term "false positives".

Allowing any subset of promo would let to people complaining. Hence to satisfy everyone, BGGstore has to allow every promo for it. This would lead to the item selling out extremely quickly because anyone who orders 2 promo will get it whether they want or need it. Those who don't need it will just post it on ebay when it is no longer available for sales anymore on ebay for a high price.

cybernex wrote:
Indeed, I am sorry that the limitations of our license prevent our customers just to buy this figure, and put BGG in the difficult position to find a way to give it out for free in a way which makes economic sense to them.

Ares is not allowed to sell individual figures for War of the Ring, so this was the best solution we've been able to find to make the promo available, except for those lucky few who could be at Essen or Lucca.

Please don't be sorry, you guys are doing a great job. I have no idea why this is getting such backlash because they are basically getting FREE promos along with their purchase of treebeard. Yes it might not be what they want but it is FREE. I have no idea why people are complaining about FREE stuff. Do you go to your supermart and complain that their free gift is not what you would have wanted and demand to choose anything?

It is probably the way it is presented. Here's a idea, give the treebeard promo for free but charge a 10 dollar shipping fee. That way you get the original price you would have sold it for, you get the get around the licenses since you're not technically selling the treebeard promo and no one gets any extra free promo so everyone can stop complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 is fine. I already ordered mine and am waiting for it to arrive hopefully soon so I can start painting it and the Lords of Middle Earth expansion. (It seemed easier to do them together as a single batch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered mine yesterday. 10 USD for Treebeard plus 2 promos that might come in handy at some point, that is the way I see it. And free shipping to Japan, now that is a good deal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Treebeard arrived today. He's quite excellent. Can't wait to get him onto the board.

(Now am just waiting for my replacement Balrog figure. My LoME came with two Witch-kings and no Balrog. Ares is sending the right figure, and I've been stalking the mailman everyday waiting for it...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Bradshaw
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
I don't want to seem ungrateful or cheap, but this confuses me.

The entire first expansion costs between 20-30 dollars (based on what I've seen). Yet this singular figure and card costs 10. So 2 Treebeards = Lords of Middle Earth Expansion Pack? That's doesn't make a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably take you about as long to package and ship and deal with three small packages as one larger one, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.