Subject: Best table top type for Dungeon Fighter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen at least one player that complained about the dice being hard to land on the target. I was wondering if certain surfaces contribute to a better game. Craft foam, rubber? Just a regular wood table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this myself but there was a suggestion to use a mouse pad on the table to bounce the dice off of, just pass it around and let the active player place it where they'd like. Should give enough of a squishy surface to help control the bounce a little better. If I ever get a chance to play I'm definitely going to give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
www.ryanlangewisch.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played all our games on a wooden, dining room table and it has worked great. Having played the game 15+ times now, I can't see the playing surface being as big of an issue as some people seem to think. I'm sure there are differences between surfaces, but you just have to change your approach knowing how the dice will react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on several surfaces: a padded poker table, a plastic folding table, and a hard veneer-coated table. I originally thought that a softer, padded surface would be superior but I was wrong. The harder (and smoother) the surface, the better. Also, there are some shots - including the "bounce over a card" shot - that cannot be performed on a padded surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had best luck on a hard wood dining room table. I'd suggest about a foot of space between the board and the table edge (one very bad experience when the board was in the middle of a bigger table, with two feet between the board and the edge of the table). Just back out of the "bounce over a card" shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A table made of real wood has been what we've had best success with. I've also played on some diferent types of laminate, but that's not as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Nürnberg
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
we played on a glass table
the dice bounced everywhere, but it was fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
I've had best luck on a hard wood dining room table. I'd suggest about a foot of space between the board and the table edge (one very bad experience when the board was in the middle of a bigger table, with two feet between the board and the edge of the table). Just back out of the "bounce over a card" shot.

Could you explain why it was bad having 2 feet between the board and the edge of the table? Was it because people had to stand too far from the target board when throwing the dice? I'm interested in this game, so anything to make it a smooth experience is a good thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think two feet is too much room for a lot of those trick shots, like under the leg or being a step away from the table, or the catapult shot. I'm 6'4" and can manage those first two with about a foot to a foot and a half space, but over that and it starts becoming a lot more difficult for me. That bad experience was with experienced gamers (though none had played DF) who thought it would be very easy to make those shots, and then they got modifiers on almost all rolls that ended up meaning almost no shots hit the target.

If it's your first time or first few times even, I'd still advise playing with some house rules to make it easier. I've had better luck getting replays from folks who had a good experience and at least came close to winning (rare for me to win it), and found some friends who just won't try it again after a bad first time out (sticking to every rule, first time playing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Smithfield
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My absolute best experience with Dungeon Fighter so far has been on a granite counter. A hard, flat surface seems to me to be the best for any of the trick shots, especially bouncing over a card. I had amazing results with the firewall the last time I played. Hitting 4's and 5's almost every time with the firewall bonus.

The idea, in my opinion, is eliminating variables. A hard, thick, and flat surface helps to eliminate the surface as a contributor to odd bounces. Then it is more in the skill of the player.

Of course, playing on less than ideal surfaces could easily be a great, although somewhat frustrating, way to modify the difficulty if you get too good at those head shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bertinc wrote:
My absolute best experience with Dungeon Fighter so far has been on a granite counter. A hard, flat surface seems to me to be the best for any of the trick shots, especially bouncing over a card. I had amazing results with the firewall the last time I played. Hitting 4's and 5's almost every time with the firewall bonus.

The idea, in my opinion, is eliminating variables. A hard, thick, and flat surface helps to eliminate the surface as a contributor to odd bounces. Then it is more in the skill of the player.

Of course, playing on less than ideal surfaces could easily be a great, although somewhat frustrating, way to modify the difficulty if you get too good at those head shots.

For me, it's a coffee table with tempered glass surface. It's like playing on "easy mode." Experienced players can't miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.