Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Jeffers
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Smallworlders,

I have been playing Realms a lot in the last two weeks, and on Saturday played the Rusted Throne scenario with 4 players. It was ok, except that the way we interpreted the Throne "tribute" rules really made the throne weak in my eyes.

Here is what happened: I capped the Throne on turn 2, and then I thought to interpret the tribute as meaning I get one coin from each region bordering the throne. If those happen to be lost races (which they were at the time), then I get the coins from the bank and that's that. The rest of the table read over the meager instructions for the scenario and argued that it wasn't clear enough, but interpreted them to mean that I should only get one coin for each different race that occupies the spaces around the throne.

Which one is correct? Or is there some other way to do it? I have to say that I'm loving the expansion but the scenario explanations need to be more clear. The Rusted Throne explanation doesn't even specify that the water is a river! I mean, it has to be a river or no one could get across, but it still needs to be explicitly stated.

p.s. If the Throne-holder gets one coin from each region around the throne, that makes the throne very powerful and very worth fighting over. Otherwise, it's quite weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn Ames
United States
Boulder Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

After looking at the rules, I would interpret as your friends did: you would receive 1 coin for each persons' race tokens (active or in decline) plus 1 more if there are any lost tribes bordering the throne.. These come from the player if they belong to them or the bank if a lost tribe. It sounds powerful to me if surrounded and the world crowded, otherwise it does sound weak. I have not played this yet, but that is my best guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it was per space not per race. So at the start it was paying out 4 due to the lost tribes.

The rules specify 'piles' of race tokens so we counted individual piles for scoring. The throne was pretty fought over and we ended up with a really close match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it defintely is 1 coin per occupied region.

The only real puzzle to this scenario is whether the water is Sea or River. The introduction doesn't state that "river rules apply", so consequently it must be standard rules - which would mean that only flying or sailing races can reach the mountain - which is way too powerful. So apparently an important rule is missing...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed that since we were using the white sticks that the river rules were implied. I also used the Tritons and assumed their power extended to being adjacent to Rivers as well as oceans/lakes.

I still lost however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jeffers
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Yeah, it defintely is 1 coin per occupied region.

The only real puzzle to this scenario is whether the water is Sea or River. The introduction doesn't state that "river rules apply", so consequently it must be standard rules - which would mean that only flying or sailing races can reach the mountain - which is way too powerful. So apparently an important rule is missing...!

Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm when i looked it said the river rules apply... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theseventensplit wrote:

Not in the first edition rules, but it is only good if they have updated the rules. Unfortunately the official rules on the DoW website is still missing this info:

Quote:
There is something rotten in this Realm - not the tarnished throne
that sits atop its peak, but the struggle to get there...
Set-Up
Place the Rusted Throne atop the Peak, as per the map.
Special Rules
The Rusted Throne is a Popular Place, its Special Power granted to whoever
occupies the Peak upon which it sits. The player whose (active or in decline)
race occupies this Region receives a tribute of 1 Victory Coin for each players’
(active or in decline) piles of race tokens that occupy one of the 5 Regions
sharing a border with the Peak and its Rusted Throne. When a Lost Tribe
occupies one of these Regions, the player on the Throne collects its tribute
directly from the Victory stash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jeffers
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
theseventensplit wrote:

Not in the first edition rules, but it is only good if they have updated the rules. Unfortunately the official rules on the DoW website is still missing this info:

Quote:
There is something rotten in this Realm - not the tarnished throne
that sits atop its peak, but the struggle to get there...
Set-Up
Place the Rusted Throne atop the Peak, as per the map.
Special Rules
The Rusted Throne is a Popular Place, its Special Power granted to whoever
occupies the Peak upon which it sits. The player whose (active or in decline)
race occupies this Region receives a tribute of 1 Victory Coin for each players’
(active or in decline) piles of race tokens that occupy one of the 5 Regions
sharing a border with the Peak and its Rusted Throne. When a Lost Tribe
occupies one of these Regions, the player on the Throne collects its tribute
directly from the Victory stash.

So what you're saying is that there is a subsequent printing which has corrected rules? I had no idea there was a second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
So what you're saying is that there is a subsequent printing which has corrected rules? I had no idea there was a second edition.

No. I am saying that Bradley Martin claim to have seen the rule - which consequently means that there must be a different set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.