Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Eckroth
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, my daughter and I love this game and enjoy it for what it is. However, my wife is an extremely serious competitive type of gamer. After our first game with her she swore off the game forever. It was just too frustrating. No matter how much she practiced, her shots just never hit. She is just not able to have fun in this scenario.

I convince her to play once more because we were in a big group and everyone else wanted to play and she didn't want to be left out. Although she had more fun this time, she still couldn't deal with her lack of skill making he game to "not fun."

So, I know she like dungeon crawls and would love a lighter version of one, which is what this is. She likes the character cards, the enemies, the items, all of it. Except the rolling. So I would love a way to make it easier for her without being condescending(like having her drop the die directly on the target).

Any ideas?

Sorry this is a long post, but I thought of a possibility. I could put a wall piece from The Adventures on the back side so if she rolls it to hard, the wall will stop it. Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That "backboard" actually sounds like a good idea (if you're interested in making it easier). Let us know how it turns out if you do try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary challenge of this game is the dexterity involved in the tosses. Change that, and you change the game. However, I'm with you: I'd move heaven and earth if I could find something which would make a game more appealing to my wife.
What are her problems with the tosses? I've noticed my game table is very hard, and the dice bounce like crazy. The game tables at the Dallas Games Marathon are plastic (very sturdy plastic, mind you), and the dice seem to bounce a bit less. Maybe you could change the "hardness" of the table by playing on a different surface, or putting a mouse-pad on the table, and letting her bounce her shots off that?
Good luck!
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to make more accurate shots is to use more of a horizontal dice rolling action rather than a throw/toss. Remember, a shot is legal as long as the die strikes the table (at least once) before landing on the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eckroth
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
The primary challenge of this game is the dexterity involved in the tosses. Change that, and you change the game. However, I'm with you: I'd move heaven and earth if I could find something which would make a game more appealing to my wife.
What are her problems with the tosses? I've noticed my game table is very hard, and the dice bounce like crazy. The game tables at the Dallas Games Marathon are plastic (very sturdy plastic, mind you), and the dice seem to bounce a bit less. Maybe you could change the "hardness" of the table by playing on a different surface, or putting a mouse-pad on the table, and letting her bounce her shots off that?
Good luck!
TK

I use one of the game table covers from board and bits, mouse pad material. With it off the dice always had to much bounce. It need to come off for the more crazy shot that new the extra bouncaege

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eckroth
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested it out with an Adventurers wall piece(just a couple throws, not a full game) and it might work really well. The hard throws can not the wall back and the dice still slide off the target. So it will still take some control. Plus the dice bounce around side to side enough that it is easy to miss

I'll report back after trying a full game using it. I'll try to work up some rules on how to place it on the board fairly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time today with my wife and kids (ages 9 and 6). After 2 monsters, both kids wanted to quit out of frustration. And, even my wife and I were doing pretty terrible at getting our dice to hit the board.

So, even though this is a pretty weak fix, we decided to give every player 3 tries with each of their shots. We still had misses, but at least the kids felt like they had a couple of chances to improve their technique. So, that might be an option. It's such a light, silly game, I didn't really have a problem making that house rule.

And, it was a pretty triumphant moment when my 6-year-old daughter one-shotted the final boss on her first throw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.