Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
badge
7500+ Profile Views and counting!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the look of the game. I love mechs. I love strategic combat.

I really love the "crystal" slots in the bases of mechs.

Aesthetically, this game looks amazing and appear to have all you need for alot of scenarios right from the box.

But if I already have:
Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction (in abundance)
Monsterpocalypse (in abundance again)
Frontiers

Am I really going to be getting a game that is dramatically different to the above three?

It's my major concern that it will be a "much of the same" scenario - and with the price tag it's calling for I'm not sure if it's worth the plunge for the one gimmick that is drawing me in (the bases with crystal slots).

Persuade me either way, I'm open to hearing all hype & stories of greatness - in fact I'm hoping to hear that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a mech/dudes on a board game with rules that are as streamlined as they can possibly be while keeping a minimal amount of variation between figures. Its best advantage is that I can spend about 5 minutes or less on the rules with someone completely new to the game. We can tear into a battle that feels epic, yet lasts less than an hour and a new player has very little disadvantage. I don't know many tactical minis games that can claim a similar ease of entry (Claustrophobia comes close). The trade off is depth of play and a high degree of randomness (card draws x multiple levels of dice rolls). If you want a minatures board game you can play with practically anyone, this is a great game. If you want something with deep realistic gameplay and you primarily play games with the same handful of people, then it might be something you want to pass on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
badge
7500+ Profile Views and counting!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like it might work out for me, based on your description. Thanks for your input!

The previously mentioned games are alot more complex and don't offer an easy entry level.

It would be nice to have a quick-to-get-into mech-based combat game. Especially with such quick games. Randomness is certainly welcomed by way of card draws & dice rolling, even more so the fact that there is not much (if any) advantage to anyone who has more experience with the game than someone who is playing for the first time.

As for playing with the same people, I have a moderately sized group of friends whom I play games with. We vary the games regularly so it would probably hit the table once every couple of months here and there, like anything else in my collection does sporadically - so I'd foresee it not growing too long in the tooth too quick

Is there much customization in the way you start out with your group of units? As in, are there options to how you build your group or are they more pre-set with scenarios? I'm more talking with straight-from-the-box rules here; which is how I prefer to play pretty much everything to save "grey areas" when playing with others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least 15 scenarios, each one specified for 2, 3, or 4 players (everything greater than 2 is team play). I have not played all the scenarios, but I have played 2, 3, and 4 player games and thought all worked quite well. The turn order rules at multi-player are particularly well done. I enjoyed the scenarios we have played where the sides have variable distributions of mechs. Some scenarios offer a region where a player can place their mechs rather than specific positions, but that is as deep as customization gets out of the box. The game does not offer rules for custom scenarios, but it would not be hard at all to do. I have not felt the need to do so, yet.

I think painting the mechs is a must, even if it is just a single coat of sprayed on color for each of the 4 types of mechs.

Really, my biggest complaint with the game is that the 3 line of site blocking terrain types they provide don't have any special rules for them. That's pretty nitpicky, though. For the niche it aims to fill, it works really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Abaddon was designed to provide players easy entry, interesting challenges and promote fast play. The core game has a wide variety of missions and Toy Vault has also posted an number of additional missions.

We do have number of expansion planed for the game, which include new units, ways to upgrade and modify current units, a Command Bunker, a unit point system and campaign game rules, but as of yet, the sell through of the core game has not warrant any expansions.

I have however, recently seen that Toy Vault is offering the game at a sale price of $59.99, which for what you get in the game box, is a real deal.

Richard Borg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
richard borg wrote:

We do have number of expansion planed for the game, which include new units, ways to upgrade and modify current units, a Command Bunker, a unit point system and campaign game rules, but as of yet, the sell through of the core game has not warrant any expansions.

It's a shame because Abaddon is an AWESOME game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.