Subject: Runebound in Space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Moore
United States
Haughton
LA
flag msg tools
Most of the space games I see are usually grand strategy games, that put you in control of civilizations and not a lone hero/explorer, that grows stronger as the game goes on.

So,are there any games that play like Runebound but have a space/sci-fi setting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
Rogue Trooper
might fit the bill. It has been ages since I payed it, so my memory may be faulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
Welcome to BGG.
Rogue Trooper
might fit the bill. It has been ages since I payed it, so my memory may be faulty.

There is a satellite you can visit in Rogue Trooper, but mostly you're tromping around the planet facing bad guys. It's essentially a quest game; you won't be flying space ships or visiting other planets. I can see the analogy with Runebound. As a bonus, it plays a bit more quickly.

Another suggestion from back in the day would be Minion Hunter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then there was John Carter: Warlord of Mars, and Freedom in the Galaxy (at the Star System level).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
And The Phantom League and its expansions Phantom League: Mostly Harmless and Phantom League: Pilot Academy all of which were reportedly inspired by the venerable video game, "Elite" by Jack Braben.

Also, it appears that the soon to be released Relic by Fantasy Flight Games is essentially Talisman in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Moore
United States
Haughton
LA
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback guys. Some of these suggestions look very promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You could take a look at Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be late info considering the age of this thread.

But really, one should wait for Relic.
It's a definitely sci-fi Warhammer 40K game that uses the Talisman mechanic.

So a hero who goes around the board having random encounters, fighting, leveling up until he's strong enough to go win the game. Talisman and Runebound are compared all the time because they are in the same category of games. So a sci-fi Runebound is definitely Relic.

Plus considering it's FFG, it's bound to receive tons of expansions to become a humongous game eventually.
I suspect it's effectively going to replace their Runebound and Talisman lines as both of those games have been "expansioned out". Much in the same way that Mansion of Madness replaced Arkham Horror for current development plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.