Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
...But now I got to give it back.
Ok so first off I love this WoW TBG and in the last two weeks I poured a ton of hours into this game with just me and my wife. We play both teams together 2v2. So its a co op but still PvP. It makes for some interesting gameplay.
And that's the problem. We love this game and my friend wants it back. Mind you he has had the game for years and never played it. Gave it to us to figure out for him this month.
So we love the craftsmanship, combat, and quest system.
What I want to know is how do I replace this game with something just as detailed and complex that we can play co op ish?
We have dungeon run and she has vowed never to play it again after playing WoW TBG . And now that we have finally found a game we can play over and overI want to keep it goung. Btw its only been like two weeks and we are on our 7th play through.

Besides dungeon run this is the first game we own in this category . We are not afraid of a big rule book , just want it to be clear like WoW TBG.

PS - Been thinking Descent first or second edition. But not sure if it would have the same feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you simply just buy that very game you are interested in. It might be OOP, but as far as I see its not too hard to find copies for a bit extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm currently considering buying Defenders of the Realm. Not quite WoWtBG but it is coop and the reviews are glowing.

P.S. If you can find a copy of WoWtBG for a reasonable price, you should certainly buy it, however. I'm no expert on 'themed' boardgames, but I get the impression WoWtBG is one of a kind. Loads of people hate it, but if you like it (as we do, by the way) it will probably be difficult to find something similar.

P.P.S. When you do buy WoWtBG, you should also buy the expansions. Shadows or War gives you tons of extra variables and the Burning Crusade gives you a second map and another level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Why don't you simply just buy that very game you are interested in. It might be OOP, but as far as I see its not too hard to find copies for a bit extra.

This.

First of all, if you like WoW:TBG that much, any other game is likely to suffer in comparison no matter how good it is. You'll remember WoW as this great game that you couldn't find, and it will get even better in your mind for it being unattainable. The other game just won't be able to measure up. That's the psychology of the situation.

Secondly, there really is no other game like WoW. The character building system is amazingly detailed. You'll find lots of games that give you the go on quests, kill things, get loot mechanic, but most have minimal equipment, abilities, or leveling as the only character growth mechanic.

There are some copies here in the marketplace under $50 if you can stomach a used copy, or you can watch eBay and get some pretty cheap. I also think you should get Shadows of War as well. It drastically increases the different number of talent card builds for each character class.

If you can't stomach buying a used copy, Descent is a good choice. You could also look at Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Runebound (Second Edition), or Mage Knight Board Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarir Khosh Vadoud
msg tools
If you really love this game, then do as the others said. Go buy it.

This game is, simply fantastic. I can't get enough of it and even though we play every 2-3 months, I feel like I have to wait forever to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a better idea, but will take some planning. Stage a fake break-in into your own house. Break a few things, take some silverware to make it believable and, of course, take the game. Tell you friend that you're very sorry and that you'll pay him for the game from the insurance money. File an insurance claim (optionally also tell them that you had a Picasso taken from your kitchen), get the money and you're golden! Just remember to never break out WoW when your friend comes to visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unitoch wrote:
The character building system is amazingly detailed. You'll find lots of games that give you the go on quests, kill things, get loot mechanic, but most have minimal equipment, abilities, or leveling as the only character growth mechanic.

Yeah. The micromanagement is what drives most people nuts, but it's what's sold the game to us. That and the combat system, which I really like.

Unitoch wrote:
If you can't really can't stomach buying a used copy, Descent is a good choice.

Ooowww... not sure about that. I own Descent 1st Edition and that is definitely not a replacement for WoW. We love it, but only because I also own all expansions, foremost Road to Legend, which changes the game entirely and makes it more complex (and fun). The basegame however, did not impress us. From what I read, Descent 2nd Edition is probably a better choice, compared to basic 1E, but nowhere near WoW in terms of character development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lutzke
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Runebound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mbmbmb
I got the game + teh first expansion for about £45 in the UK (slight damage to box of main game - repaired with tape). Sure its more popular in US so you should find it easily. It is a great game - the first expansion basically doubles the customization options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
kilrah wrote:

I wasn't sure if there was another game out there with a similar system. That is the main reason I asked. I figured since the game was so OOP somebody may have used a similar system since, even in a PnP or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:

I'm currently considering buying Defenders of the Realm. Not quite WoWtBG but it is coop and the reviews are glowing.

P.S. If you can find a copy of WoWtBG for a reasonable price, you should certainly buy it, however. I'm no expert on 'themed' boardgames, but I get the impression WoWtBG is one of a kind. Loads of people hate it, but if you like it (as we do, by the way) it will probably be difficult to find something similar.

P.P.S. When you do buy WoWtBG, you should also buy the expansions. Shadows or War gives you tons of extra variables and the Burning Crusade gives you a second map and another level.

Reading up on Defender that actually sounds pretty cool. And yeah I heard that Shadows of War is the go to expansion if you like this game. As it is I am not sure if I have enough table space for Burning Crusade. We might be switching apartments at the end of the year and hopefully getting a gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Unitoch wrote:
kilrah wrote:

This.

First of all, if you like WoW:TBG that much, any other game is likely to suffer in comparison no matter how good it is. You'll remember WoW as this great game that you couldn't find, and it will get even better in your mind for it being unattainable. The other game just won't be able to measure up. That's the psychology of the situation.

Secondly, there really is no other game like WoW. The character building system is amazingly detailed. You'll find lots of games that give you the go on quests, kill things, get loot mechanic, but most have minimal equipment, abilities, or leveling as the only character growth mechanic.

There are some copies here in the marketplace under $50 if you can stomach a used copy, or you can watch eBay and get some pretty cheap. I also think you should get Shadows of War as well. It drastically increases the different number of talent card builds for each character class.

If you can't stomach buying a used copy, Descent is a good choice. You could also look at Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Runebound (Second Edition), or Mage Knight Board Game.

First I agree with you on the unattainable part. Things are always better in your head. But I honestly think you make a better point when you said that you haven't seen other games with the level of detail towards character building. What drives me nuts about the game and makes me love it is the idea of having the right build for the right situation. I realized yesterday that I could stomach a used copy. As long as it has all the parts. Regarding SoW more talents and more customization sounds great to me. And really that's what I wish Dungeon Run had. I mean I see all these abilities but I don't feel like I get to specifically control what the character learns and how.
Is there more boss characters in Shadows of War?
Also right before I made this post I had been looking around the forums and some people said once you get the expansions for Runebound its suppose to be really good. And I did see someone make a good co-op variant. And because its still in print there will be more expansions, but I am not sure which or what to get. I wanted to ask why that D and D game and not the Legend of Drizzt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Zarir wrote:
If you really love this game, then do as the others said. Go buy it.

This game is, simply fantastic. I can't get enough of it and even though we play every 2-3 months, I feel like I have to wait forever to play again.

I think this game is getting bought on eBay and Shadows of War might be purchased on Amazon. Yeah I agree, about the waiting to play again part. Its been over two weeks and we have yet to take the game off our dinning room table. She says she wants to play as all the characters first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Mishenka wrote:
Here's a better idea, but will take some planning. Stage a fake break-in into your own house. Break a few things, take some silverware to make it believable and, of course, take the game. Tell you friend that you're very sorry and that you'll pay him for the game from the insurance money. File an insurance claim (optionally also tell them that you had a Picasso taken from your kitchen), get the money and you're golden! Just remember to never break out WoW when your friend comes to visit.

I like this plan, my wife died laughing when I told her, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Quinones
United States
Hightstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Also I noticed my friend's deck (straight out the shrink wrap) only came with 2 kel'thuzad cards instead of the 5 talked about in the instructions. Are the other three in Shadows of War?
Also, is it just me or is the Paladin OP? How the h*** are you suppose to stop him if your forced to PvP against him? I've played him twice so far and decimated the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the worst comes to the worst, you can still get the two expansios from Blizzard, if you don't mind the full retail price:

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:0,f:1,c:3#p7

(you will need to copy/paste due to the colon in the link)

They don't seem to have the base game though.

Poking around, you can get the base game and expansions from Noble Knight:

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_..._

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still get TBC expansion even if you don't use the outland board. The dungeons are worth it imo and can be used with just the original board.

Shadows of War is a must though, as you've said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si flint
England
wakefield
west yorshire
flag msg tools
also looking for this in the uk... hard to find lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I have copy of WoW TBG and all expansions that I'm willing to sell, because there's no hope of it being played anytime soon. The base game and Shadows of War are in shrink. Burning Crusade is out of shrink but unpunched (opened it to see if I could use the minatures as replacements for the stock minions in Defenders of the Realm).

I'm in CA, so there'd be substantial shipping costs (the base game is HEAVY).

Also have the WoW: The Adventure Game and all the character expansions for that game if you're interested.

Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.