Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter is a dungeon crawling game by iello games.

THE GAME PLAY:

In this game, players are working together to get to the end of the dungeon and defeat the big boss. Each round, players move their team token to a new room, each of which contains a monster which they have to battle. Using each players character card with special abilities, each player must roll a die onto the game board which is shaped like a dart board, and land the die on a certain number to deal that amount of hit points to the monster. If the players cannot defeat the monster after each player has rolled their die, then the players lose life.

Here’s where it gets annoying. Each monster has a different task that players must perform in order to deal damage. One example is players having to roll the die off the bridge of their nose and onto the board…as if it wasn’t hard enough already. As you may well have guessed, we all died and lost the game. I can’t see this game being anything more than frustrating every time you play it, especially considering the final bosses hit points were so high that it would be near impossible to defeat him.

THE COMPONENTS:

Whilst the game play didn't add up for me, the components however, were very well crafted. The custom dice were awesome, the board was great, and the art was too. Unfortunately, no matter how pretty a game is, if it doesn't play well then it's not worth the best art in the world.

FINAL VERDICT:

I give this game a 4/10.

If you like wacky, nonsensical fun that is impossible to master, then this will appeal to you. If you like actually being able to implement a strategy without having to resort to dumb luck, then you'll probably agree with this review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree on your "impossible to master" judgment. Our gaming group started failing miserably, but become more and more adept at weird die-rolling after 6/7 plays, and was also able to beat the game in more than one occasion.

How many chances did you give to this game before giving up? Please note that this is not a provocative question: I'm actually interested from a statistical viewpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your impressions. It's surely not everybody's cup of tea.

It compares a lot more to Loopin' Louie than to your 'usual' Dungeon Crawler. Although it can be a fun game if you gather the right group of people. So, from that point of view you are probably not the target group for this game. And neither am I. I rated it a "5" - only slightly better than you.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first 10 games, our record was 2-8. Our next 5 games (including some with n00bs), we went 4-1, with the only loss being a close one against the final boss. Practice makes perfect.

If you're the kind of player who gets frustrated easily, this game probably isn't for you. You might try it once or twice and write it off. But if you don't mind losing several of your first plays, can have fun in a losing effort while laughing at yourself and your friends, and put in a little practice, this game can be "mastered." Also, there are some meaningful decisions that might not be apparent at first glance, like choosing which dice to throw with each character, which items to buy and which to pass on, and which paths to take. All of these decisions can make the game much harder or easier on you and your companions.

I wrote a mini strategy guide that might help. I recommend trying the game without any assistance a few times. If you need some help, then give it a read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
www.ryanlangewisch.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that skill plays a huge part in this game, perhaps a different kind of skill than people are used to thinking of. My group has no doubt improved a lot, and even come close to winning on the "insane" difficulty occasionally. While we do enjoy the humorous fun it provides, we also very much "play to win" and feel like our performance controls our fate. Just don't come in the game expecting to win by "out-thinking" the game, you have to step up to the plate and perform in crunch time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above posters. The game is really hard at first, but as you ease into it, it becomes easier to hit the board, ending up with it being quite possible to beat the game.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this board, Our win ratio has crept easily into the "win more often"-area. It's a fun little game, but you must accept the sillyness of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.