Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we can get the updated rule book uploaded, and/or list of components with pictures? Also, are there plans to update the BGG listing/picture with the new name and art? Thanks.

- Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nberndt wrote:
Any chance we can get the updated rule book uploaded, and/or list of components with pictures? Also, are there plans to update the BGG listing/picture with the new name and art?
the way you phrase that makes it sound to me as if you think the site management performs this mission.. What really happens is that much of it comes from user contributions, and part from what the publisher makes available on the that site. So it's not like some distant authority is dragging their feet to thwart your enthusiasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathan,

It will happen only if Rio Grande games is willing to post any info/rule book/pictures of the updated reprint.

Otherwise, we will just have to wait for the first person who got a copy on their hand and is willing to start submitting them here on BGG.

I am excited about this as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Hutcheison
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
porkchop_tw wrote:
Hi Nathan,

It will happen only if Rio Grande games is willing to post any info/rule book/pictures of the updated reprint.

Otherwise, we will just have to wait for the first person who got a copy on their hand and is willing to start submitting them here on BGG.

I am excited about this as well!

I ordered my copy from miniature market yesterday and will gladly post some pics up here, unless someone else beats me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have time to post pictures, but I have the new reprint, and it's very nice. The four boards are bigger than Balloon Cup (it looks like), and it doesn't come with wooden cubes. Instead, the wooden bits are shaped like candies, which is a nice thematic effect. The game comes in a longer box rather than the Kosmos 2-player box. All in all, it's a very nice package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and it looks like the designer's original rules are standard, with the Balloon Cup rules (playing on either side whenever you want) listed as a variant. At least, this is what I've been able to divine from the forums and my own reading of the Pinata rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the cardstock? That was easily my biggest gripe w/Balloon Cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good. It doesn't have the linen finish of some card games, but the stock looks and feels like the cards used for Agricola. (They are standard American size cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:
Oh, and it looks like the designer's original rules are standard, with the Balloon Cup rules (playing on either side whenever you want) listed as a variant. At least, this is what I've been able to divine from the forums and my own reading of the Pinata rules.

I am glad that this is true. I am also happy for Stephen Glenn since this is the game he envisioned to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Hutcheison
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I tried to upload pics to the game page, but I'm not sure if it worked (never done it on this site before). I have a feeling it did not work, so here are the pics:

Sorry for the poor quality...My wife is out with the DSLR with her, so I'm stuck with just a cell for pics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kris! How does the components' quality feel to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Hutcheison
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
porkchop_tw wrote:
Thanks Kris! How does the components' quality feel to you?

Cards: Great, feel very similar to Jaipur. I will not be sleeving these (I've only sleeved Love Letter and Biblios). A bit stiff right now, but I like that they went with the white borders.

Box: Solid, good divider

Candy bits/bag: Good quality, nice colors/paint quality. Out of all of my pieces there is 1 that seems to be slightly misshaped on one of the sides that looks like the candy wrapper, but you have to look for it. They remind me of the fruit pieces from Finca, but smaller. The bag was a nice addition as well to keep everything together in the box and to pull the candy out of during the game.

Cardboard mats: These have great images, but I can see that the edges/corners of these pieces will flake a bit eventually, and some already have. Since these aren't handled/shuffled like cards it won't be too much of a problem.

A solid value for $19 I'd say, and I would have felt comfortable paying $25-$30 for this game considering the quality/components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
The games that represent my profession the best are: Container, Panamax, Francis Drake, Pirate's Cove, Blackbeard, etc.
badge
Ideal Client: one who hires me to interpret board game rules.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mixed feelings about this. I just realized from this thread that Stephen Glenn's original intent was to use the piñata theme rather than hot air balloons. It pleases me for his sake that the published game is now honoring his design.

On the other hand, given my surname and lifelong love of balloons, I'm sad to see the reprint change themes.

But, candidly, the theme fits the game mechanic better—a player's ability to play adverse cards on the other player's side seems to mimic the ability of the piñata holder to pull or release the rope, and piñatas are, of course, high or low.

The balloon theme was more elegant but may have been too detached from the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game going to see a larger release? Will it be available on Amazon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt62702 wrote:
Is this game going to see a larger release? Will it be available on Amazon?

I am hoping it will be sold by Amazon as well. Even though they don't have the best price but the free shipping requirement is a lot lower than other OLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
StoneOx wrote:
Release date is April 10th. SRP is $29.95.
I'm reading the price as $24.95 right now on the Pinata page at the Rio Grande web site.
But it was indeed $29.95 yesterday at the cash register. (Web site still says $24.95)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of the components a lot more than I thought I would. Those candies are awesome! They remind me of the "butterscotch" bits from Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept seeing Pikata instead of Pinata.

Is the retheme about Beavis's favorite pastime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's cool that Steve got to use his original theme, I have to admit I just don't find the pinata theme interesting... at all.
Overall I suspect just in general balloons > pinatas as far as theme, so hopefully that doesn't kill sales. Personally I can say if BC got a reprint I probably would have bought it... I have no interest in buying Pinata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why there have been 300 trades of Balloon Cup recently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Piñata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.