Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
Of all the galaxies in all the universe, you have to hover over mine!
mbmbmbmbmb
For many, talk of railways and trains evoke memories of stale curled up sandwiches served with warm beer. Where an enquiry regarding the likely arrival time of the next service to Birmingham, or for those in the English Midlands Ber-ming-um, would get you a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders from the British Rail attendant. However, this game is not about British Rail it is about the golden age of rail, a period that apparently passed by in the UK, faster than a Japanese bullet train. Some time after the triumph of Stephenson’s Rocket and before the advent of the modern motor car, there existed a time when the railway was king. A mode of transport that would, for a short time at least, revolutionise the way people travelled. This is the era in which Ticket to Ride (Europe) is set.
This is an elegant game which has simplicity at its heart. The board has a functional and artistic representation of the railroads of Europe. The card stock is OK, but does need sleeving in my opinion. The cards (or tickets) give you cities which you need to join up by placing your trains in an unbroken route between them. The more tickets you complete the more points you score; it really is as simple as that. In fact it is so simple my eight year old son can play and win this game, and my 5 year old daughter can also happily play with a little help.
The rules, well they are significantly easier to understand than a UK train timetable and merely consist of three choices. Take two train cards from the five face up cards available, take two train cards “blind” from the top of the deck or place trains. Placing trains is also simple, all you do is collect the colour cards which match the colour of the route you want on the board. You need as many cards as there are train spaces between the two cities. There are several locomotive wildcards which can be treated as any colour. Ticket to Ride (Europe) has a couple of additional rules and mechanics which are not present in the original Ticket to Ride. However, these are again fairly easy to understand and don’t make the game anymore complex.
People often talk about “gateway games” and how you can stop the family from breaking out the dreaded Monopoly at Christmas. Well this is the perfect antidote to a dose of “Monopoly”. A fun, easy to learn game that all the family can enjoy. So pull on your train driver’s cap, stick your head out of the side-window (only try this at home and not whilst travelling on a train); now put your arm out in front of you, bend to 90 degree angle at the elbow and make your hand into a fist, pull that metaphorical cord to make that metaphorical horn sound. You are on a high speed rail link with a proper food service and you don’t need to make another three connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fallenius
Sweden
(södra Älvsborg)
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
The rules [...] merely consist of three choices. Take two train cards from the five face up cards available, take two train cards “blind” from the top of the deck or place trains.

Well, you can of course take one card from the face up cards and one from the top of the deck... So for the three choices – well, I wouldn't call it that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
JK777 wrote:
The rules [...] merely consist of three choices. Take two train cards from the five face up cards available, take two train cards “blind” from the top of the deck or place trains.

Well, you can of course take one card from the face up cards and one from the top of the deck... So for the three choices – well, I wouldn't call it that.

You can also take one locomotive face up, draw tickets, or place a station. So that is at least 7 choices.

You can also decide to draw one card face up and one from the top of the deck OR draw one from the top of the deck and then draw one face up which could make a difference, so technically 8 choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.