Subject: A Year With Carcassonne: The Phantom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There not much of an introduction to go with this review. In my never ending quest to pick up every expansion for Carcassonne, I got The Phantom a little over a year ago. No crazy story or heartfelt experience for this one.

Since I got it, I've played with this expansion 5 times. It's become another tragedy of too many games, and even when we play Carcassonne, there are now so many expansions to choose from, that the quantity of plays for any one thing starts to suffer. I wouldn't have it any other way, of course, as I love to have options, it's just the way things are.

The Premise:
The story of this ghostly meeple is one of tragedy and despair...
Not really, there is no "theme" present in the rules with this one. You basically have an extra meeple with special placement rules.

The Components:
This expansion comes with 6 translucent plastic meeples, one in each of the 6 player colors. The purple meeple goes with the gray set introduced in Inns & Cathedrals. I'm guessing making a translucent gray would have been too similar to the translucent black, so they went with something else. The plastic meeple-shaped case that these pieces come in are pretty cool, and are also available in each of the six player colors. A tiny little square instruction sheet is included.

The Gameplay:
This set just adds an extra meeple to each player with the following extra rule. After placing a tile and placing a follower, the player may then choose to place the Phantom as a second follower on a different feature of the just placed tile. It counts as a normal follower in all instances. The Phantom can also be placed in its own as a normal follower.

Final Thoughts:
This is an extremely easy expansion to add to any game of Carcassonne. There are no tiles to add, and any other expansions can be used without complication.

The Phantom is a good piece to bring in some extra points when placing a tile that completes a feature, like a small road, but you want to place a follower on a different feature on the tile, like to compete for a city. With the Phantom, you can now get the points for the completed road, and get it back right away to earn you more points in a similar fashion on a later turn. Or you can just use it as an extra follower and boost your farms, or use it for anything else.

The cool thing about this expansion is that since it is just an extra set of meeples, you can pretty much use it for any of the Carcassonne spinoffs. Want to add this piece to Hunters & Gatherers? Go ahead, there are no tile incompatibilities or anything of that nature to worry about.

The only thing you can't add it to is the Carcassonne: 10th Year Special Edition as that comes with translucent meeples instead of wooden ones for the regular set.

Not much else to say about this one. It's inexpensive, it fits with most any version, and the rules are extremely easy. This is definitely one of the better Carcassonne expansions to get. Following the BGG rating guidelines, I give this one an 8.

Thanks for reading! You can find my other Carcassonne expansion reviews and more at A Year With My Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only I could find this... it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another excellent review in your series. We like this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
cyakobch wrote:
If only I could find this... it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

You could always try it out using one glass gem or lego brick or random pawn in each of the player colours. (And this way you could even play it with the special edition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chandler
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Preserve Indianapolis Indiana has three. The king and the scout as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
See my profile to find out what technology has already been fed and added to K-9.
badge
Hard drive is spinning up... WEEEEEEEEEE!
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
The cool thing about this expansion is that since it is just an extra set of meeples, you can pretty much use it for any of the Carcassonne spinoffs. Want to add this piece to Hunters & Gatherers? Go ahead, there are no tile incompatibilities or anything of that nature to worry about.

Well, yes and no. If you are picky about your meeples matching shape-wise, then they are not a perfect match for Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers or Carcassonne: The City esthetically. Functionally they can be incorporated seamlessly, but the meeples in those version have a different shape/outline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While it doesn't look like Rio Grande Games are going to reprint this in a hurry, our friends er at MeepleSource have produced some plastic 'phantom' meeples for this.
Which we have brought in for our UK and Europa customers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameExtras wrote:
While it doesn't look like Rio Grande Games are going to reprint this in a hurry, our friends er at MeepleSource have produced some plastic 'phantom' meeples for this.
Which we have brought in for our UK and Europa customers

Surely Rio Grande are never going to reprint it, as they no longer have the rights to carcassonne?

Z-Man games might be reprinting it soonishly, though. Maybe. But don't hold your breath. They don't even list Carcassonne among their games on their webpage, despite the fact that their reprint of it has been in shops for some time now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah yes good point, though as you say it may well be a while as all the main expansions we've received recently are still Rio Grande Games, I'm guessing it will take Z-Man games a while to produce all expansions and we'll wait and see if they produce this and the other 10th anniversary products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I have a Brand new OOP Carcassonne: The Phantom available for trade to good offers. Geekmail me if you are keen to work out a trade.

Thanks,
Michelle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.