Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timo, perhaps you can confirm this asap.

I started with both expansions straight away because I wanted to use the new battle rules in preference to reading the old ones.

Page 9 in Pilot Academy shows the red, yellow and amber symbols for gaining extra cards from improvements into your battle deck. I've just realised that these should be attack, defence and support symbols that appear as well as the red/yellow/amber that are on the new captain/ship cards.

We couldn't understand why we received only a few cards for 6 rounds of combat.

Players who have used the original battle system will probably realise this straight away.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Posco wrote:
Timo, perhaps you can confirm this asap.

I started with both expansions straight away because I wanted to use the new battle rules in preference to reading the old ones.

Page 9 in Pilot Academy shows the red, yellow and amber symbols for gaining extra cards from improvements into your battle deck. I've just realised that these should be attack, defence and support symbols that appear as well as the red/yellow/amber that are on the new captain/ship cards.

We couldn't understand why we received only a few cards for 6 rounds of combat.

Players who have used the original battle system will probably realise this straight away.

Ian

I don't think there are any ships which would have symbols to give you extra cards.

However, you are correct that some captains do give extra cards (extra 1 card).

So, once more the card count:

* Choose 2 of the Stock cards
* Choose which of the decks you draw 1 card
* Possibly 1 from captain cards (if there are correct symbols)
* 1 for each improvement of correct type (attack card for attack improvements and so on)
* 2 destiny cards

This should give you 5 card minimum in every occasion, but
to get more than 8 you would have to invest on improvements, radically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think there are any ships which would have symbols to give you extra cards.

I included "ships" because our combats were against non-player ships which do have the symbols. I agree - I dont think any player ships have the symbols.

Quote:
* 1 for each improvement of correct type (attack card for attack improvements and so on)

This is the point I made the mistake due to the rules on page 9. Only the Red/yellow/orange icons are shown in the PA rulebook. In the Mostly harmless rules it shows the attack, defence and support symbols. I believe all symbols (attack/defence/support and red/yellow/orange) will need to be shown in the updated rulebook.

The impact on our game was that we didn't draw any attack or defence cards for improvement card held on our ships.

A player who is familiar with the pre-academy battles will probably realise this.

Still had a very good game and now have two groups wanting to play again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Posco wrote:
Quote:

I included "ships" because our combats were against non-player ships which do have the symbols. I agree - I dont think any player ships have the symbols.

I see.

Quote:

This is the point I made the mistake due to the rules on page 9. Only the Red/yellow/orange icons are shown in the PA rulebook. In the Mostly harmless rules it shows the attack, defence and support symbols. I believe all symbols (attack/defence/support and red/yellow/orange) will need to be shown in the updated rulebook.

The impact on our game was that we didn't draw any attack or defence cards for improvement card held on our ships.

A player who is familiar with the pre-academy battles will probably realise this.

Still had a very good game and now have two groups wanting to play again

[/q]

I see what is the problem. If you find a way to make it more clear for updated Pilot Academy rulebook, I'd be thrilled.

And I'm also very happy to hear that you have two active PL playing groups. That is very motivating to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised instructions for this (that Timo has agreed) should appear in the file section soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Core
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since nothing has materialized yet I compiled the battle rules for Phantom League with Mostly Harmless and Pilot Academy:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85978/battle-rules-for-pil...

Please read someone and point out mistakes (rules I've gotten wrong or other like spelling [I know: targeted with one t only whistle]). If the wording stands I translate this into German (which is my first language, so be warned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timo did message me about your file, as I think he is generally in favour of more explanation if it will help. I did print it off and have a quick look (although I couldn't access the new draft version at the same time)

I do have concerns with some of the wording you've used as it is perhaps easier to read in places but also makes some things imprecise (but that is purely my view and you may equally find problems with the reworded rulebook )

Timo says that I should have his team's feedback on the draft rulebook very soon. Once I have that I will try to take what you have done into account before submitting what I hope will be a much better rulebook.

What I am a bit reluctant to do is start feeding back on your document when I haven't seen Timo's comments on the draft rulebook as a whole.

I'm hopeful something will be posted soon but at the moment I'm waiting like you

I did suggest that he might want to send you the final version first to see if it helps with your concerns.

I hope the above is helpful. I've done my best to combine the rulebooks and remove confusion and hopefully it will be good when available

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.