Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Fletcher
United States
Marion
OH: OHIO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant meant to make it a perfectly balanced game of pure diplomacy.

1: It is played on this map.

Each diamond is a center. Each player has one home center in the outer ring. The players each start with one Army on their home center.

2: There are no navy units.

3: You need to control 50% (4) of the centers to win a Solo victory.

4: Two players can agree to a Team victory, if and only if they control a total of 75% (6) of the centers.

5: All other rules are as the standard game.

NOTE: The map can be grown if you have more players. The one above is for 7.

This may be good, it may be crap. I don't know, I don't know any gamers to test it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
See also Pure Diplomacy by Danny Loeb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a little more map. I am not going to support you without some chance that I will end the year with two supply centers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Soñando
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
This looks wonderfully, insanely evil.

My only problem is I wish the map designer had retained the original Dip unit colors of Light Blue, White, and Black instead of changing them to Pink and Purple and Orange, just so that one could use pieces from the basic game.

edit:
Here is an updated version I tinkered with in paint, using the standard Diplomacy colors. I also adjusted the location of the colors a bit to retain some of the original relationships as the basic game (though obviously retaining all of them is not possible.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:

Very much so. "Pure" is the same idea as above, but more so.

There are 7 players, and 7 spaces on the board. Everyone starts with one. All 7 spaces are supply centers, and all are considered adjacent to the others. Don't worry about the geometry. Normal rulse. 4 centers wins.

There are no tactics whatsoever. Just Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Sylvania
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TwitchBot wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:

Very much so. "Pure" is the same idea as above, but more so.

There are 7 players, and 7 spaces on the board. Everyone starts with one. All 7 spaces are supply centers, and all are considered adjacent to the others. Don't worry about the geometry. Normal rulse. 4 centers wins.

There are no tactics whatsoever. Just Diplomacy.
I worry that this doesn't actually make it 'diplomacy' so much as 'charisma/popularity'. Certainly charisma is important, and it's a part of diplomacy, but is it "pure" or "all diplomacy"?

We need some space to feint, to grow, to see what others might or might not be doing. Then we have real diplomacy going on.

That all said, at least we could get a game of Dip played without spending 4-8 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fletcher
United States
Marion
OH: OHIO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
You need a little more map. I am not going to support you without some chance that I will end the year with two supply centers.

Idea: Treat all of the ring spaces as next to another zone with a center (That is to say, add another center). I would have drawn it, but the only real way to do so is on a sphere. That makes a total of 9 centers (Solo win: 5, Duo win: 7).

EDIT: Or you could use this one:

15 centers (Solo win: 8, Duo win: 11)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.