Popular Tags: [View All]
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't much info up here yet for this game, and since I have it, I'd thought I'd share a quick thought or two.

The game is very simple to learn. However, like most simple games, it can take sometime to master. Don't get me wrong- it's not like chess, but there is a certain way of thinking required to play this game.

The premise is pretty straight forward (literally)... You run. In a line. An endless one way path. Behind you a demon monkey is chasing you and up to a total of four players. Be the last one running to win.

There are only 2 power ups. A respawn extra life token and a double movement speed token. These are gained by landing on their squares or a special square that lets you steal a token from anther player.

Yes, this game is not really cooperative. It's race to not be eaten. And when you do get eaten you still play- adding speed to the demon monkey so you can catch the survivors faster.

It plays very fast in both turns and total game play. It's pretty inconsistent in time due to a lot of luck in the dice pool rolling.

The mechanic is a roll and keep press your luck style game. Roll the dice keep the monkey skulls (you have to) and reroll as many other dice as you like. Keep rolling until you decide to stop or roll all skulls.

The trick is the timer. An electric totem head plays music and ala musical chairs, of you don't stop the timer before it stops then you fall back to last place in the race (closest to demon monkey).

The franticness of rolling against an unknown time limit while calculating safe spaces to move to and power ups to get while contemplating dice odds can be a hectic and lively experience.

Is it a masterful game? No.
Is it simple an fun? Yes.
Can you play it over and over? Maybe- it depends on how competitive you and your players are. And how long you can listen to tribal drums an monkey screeches.

Edit- typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not Beethoven...
badge
Bird of paradise fly in white sky, blues for Allah en'sh'allah; Let's see with our heart, these things our eyes have seen; And know the truth must still lie somewhere in between
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review!!

I saw this at Wal-Mart recently and was considering picking it up as it was fairly inexpensive. Sounds like a no go for us however as my group doesn't really enjoy speed based games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbed it on black friday for $9 at Target. Sounds like an OK warm up/waiting on folks type game before Fortune and Glory or Adventurers, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this for my 7 year old daughter for Christmas. Won't get to play it until after then, but she saw it and the card game at Target and wanted one of them. I figured this one was probably the better of the two. Sounds like it could be some good, simple fun. I'm sure she'll like it.

Thanks for the review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.