Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if i had the 3rd edition game and wanted to use its components to play the game with, would it be even better if i found the 4th edition board? only asking because some here on BGG seem to think 3rd ed components are much better, but then again some really prefer the 4th edition map...and since the 4th ed is not very expensive, if there was really an improvement (in size and/or quality) i wouldn't mind dropping a few extra bucks for the best possible gaming experience...your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4th edition map is smaller, as are the counters it's made for. I don't think the 3rd edition counters will properly fit on a 4th edition map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
The 4th edition map is smaller, as are the counters it's made for. I don't think the 3rd edition counters will properly fit on a 4th edition map.
hi evil...which edition do you prefer? could i use the 4th ed counters on the larger 3rd edition map? (i assume the actual maps are the same; same locations/info/etc.)...i believe that someone on BGG had mentioned that the 4th edition counters/etc were better, but the 4th ed map had a few "errors" on it as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't own the 3rd edition, and haven't played with it. A friend of mine owns it and he showed it to me. The 4th edition map seems simpler to read and I personally prefer it. I've also heard about one potential misprint on the map, but I don't think it's been confirmed by the designer one way or the other. Something to do with a city with an incorrect value printed on it.

The 3rd edition counters are really large. They actually seem larger than any counters that I've ever seen in a wargame before. Considering the fairly low unit density in the game I actually prefer the 3rd edition counters. You should have no problems using the 4th edition counters with the 3rd editon map.

I seem to remember, althought I could easily be wrong, that in the 3rd edition the leaders are represented with stand-ups which I prefer. The 4th edition uses haf-size counters for the leaders, which can get lost on the map when things get busy.

I haven't read the 3rd edition rules but the 4th edition is clearly written and broken down into basic/advanced/optional. Beginners like me can pick up the game and start playing the basic in after having just read a few pages of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.