Subject: Source Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure I am playing this right. When a card says "prevent damage from one source," that indicates an order card just played, or a creature with no order cards played on it, but not both (attack plus bonus). Is that correct?

Thanks,
Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wouldn't that depend on the card played with out cards to hand my memory thinks

some cards say + x damaged to an attack in which case cancel all damage source is the attacker

other cards say this attack does x damaged ( with no normal damage) in which case cancel all damage

what position did you get to question this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
bluesubaru71 wrote:
I just want to make sure I am playing this right. When a card says "prevent damage from one source," that indicates an order card just played, or a creature with no order cards played on it, but not both (attack plus bonus). Is that correct?

Thanks,
Ted

If an order card does (M)+40 damage, the damage is still all from one source, despite the (M) value being determined by the creature making the attack.

Compare to the effect of an order card that does 20 damage and shifts the target onto some dangerous terrain (which deals 10 damage). At this point, you could prevent the damage from the order card or from the terrain, but not both, as they're different sources.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that clears things up, thank you.

I don't recall the exact cards, but my question was basically generic: What defines a source? I had a creature in play that had a 10 dmg melee attack. I then played a damage bonus order card and my opponent played a "cancel damage from one source" card. Then the question came up: is only the extra damage from the order card canceled or the whole attack? Sounds like from the answer above the whole attack would be cancelled, which is the way we played it, but weren't sure at the time.

Thanks again,
Ted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko White
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

A "source" actually means "a single event on the stack". (This is sadly not super clear from the rulebook, but I got a clarification from Chris on the WOTC boards.) So an order card text line that says "do some damage" or "make an attack", or a creature's basic attack, or whatever is a single source.

For example, if I use a basic attack and then a Quick Jab, a card would prevent damage from one, but any leftover wouldn't work on the next. This also covers why you can't play an Immmediate defense card in response to Feint to protect you from the Feinting creature's next attack; no damaging source is on the stack yet, so you can't pick a meaningful target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.