Subject: Quick Question: Painter Skill for Rifts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my current game, Silas has the Painter skill. If a rift track marker denotes the Artist Colony and he goes there, then uses his skill instead of the usual encounter, does this still remove the rift marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePole wrote:
In my current game, Silas has the Painter skill. If a rift track marker denotes the Artist Colony and he goes there, then uses his skill instead of the usual encounter, does this still remove the rift marker?

Not having access to anything, I am fairly certain you need to have an actual encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, if a portal opens on a monster, does that monster get sucked into the portal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
MikePole wrote:

Not having access to anything, I am fairly certain you need to have an actual encounter.

I have to disagree with you on this one. The skill says "instead of having an encounter...", which is the same text used by the Hospital, Asylum, etc. for their special abilities. Those are counted as encounters, so I would be inclined to count using the Painter skill as an encounter as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, officially, you need to have a random encounter to remove a rift progress token. You can't use alternate encounters. So, for the same reasons you're citing, actually, you don't remove a rift progress token when you use the Painter ability.

Also, this should be moved to the Miskatonic Horror forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePole wrote:
Brian, if a portal opens on a monster, does that monster get sucked into the portal?

Different Brian, but, no.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Doom Track
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
My interpretation of this question (despite weighing in a little late) is that you are not able to use location special abilities (or painter) and remove a rift token. In all of my games, you must have a random encounter to remove a rift token.

Here's why:
KH Rulebook:
KH Rulebook pg. 11 wrote:
...If an investigator has an encounter at the depicted location, he has investigated that rift progress marker.

AH Rulebook:
AH Rulebook pg.22 wrote:
...When an investigator enters such a location, the player may resolve the special ability of of the location instead of having an encounter there.

You must have an "encounter" to investigate and remove/flip a rift token. That means you can't use an ability that says "Instead of having an encounter here".

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
MikePole wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this one. The skill says "instead of having an encounter...", which is the same text used by the Hospital, Asylum, etc. for their special abilities. Those are counted as encounters, so I would be inclined to count using the Painter skill as an encounter as well.

As mentioned above, that is exactly the point. You need to have an "encounter" to remove the rift. But using the skill is "in place of" an encounter, so therefore not an encounter, therefore not triggering the rift removal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Doom Track
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
To add evidence that ColtsFan76 is correct here, consider the investigator, Ursula Downs special ability, Quick-witted.

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Ursula_Downs

Ursula Downs Investigator Card wrote:
Arkham Encounter: Ursula may have an encounter at a location even after using a location ability that would normally be taken instead.

This would indicate that you can either use the location's special ability (which are worded exactly the same way as Painter) or have an encounter there at that location, drawing a card. The wording here is very deliberate in my opinion.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just think Painter is an exceedingly useless skill then. Regardless, thank you all for your help gentleman... and Brian.

Round 3: Does closing a star portal remove a star spawn-monster from the board? To be clear, I do not mean a Starspawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePole wrote:
Well I just think Painter is an exceedingly useless skill then. Regardless, thank you all for your help gentleman... and Brian.

Round 3: Does closing a star portal remove a star spawn-monster from the board? To be clear, I do not mean a Starspawn.

If the symbol on the gate matches any monsters, they go back to the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Any non-spawn monsters go to the cup (that is, monsters that aren't the special "spawn" type, as indicated by the red orb on the front of the monster token!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Any non-spawn monsters go to the cup (that is, monsters that aren't the special "spawn" type, as indicated by the red orb on the front of the monster token!).

True, but Spawn monsters on the board have the Moon Symbol, which does not appear on any gates. So this condition will never arise.

The two spawn monsters that do not have the Moon symbol aren't placed on the board. So that condition will never arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
True, but Spawn monsters on the board have the Moon Symbol, which does not appear on any gates. So this condition will never arise.

The two spawn monsters that do not have the Moon symbol aren't placed on the board. So that condition will never arise.
With the Coming Chaos, all the mask monsters become Spawn Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.