Subject: War of the Ring expansion comparisons e1 vs e2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Woolley
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mb
I have read a lot about comparisons between the the 1st and 2nd editions of War of the Rings, but nothing on the expansions. I am looking at purchasing the game and have been offered the Battles of the Third Age expansion, but noticed that there are now expansions for the 2nd edition.

Now I am just wondering (as a newbie to War of the Rings) if there are any differences between the expansions? If so, which way to go, as I don't think I could afford both the 1st and 2nd additions of the game. Aussie board games stores charge and arm and a leg for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
battles of the third age is an expansion to the original 1st edition game. so you need a copy of the 1st edition to use it.

however, the battles of the third age expansion also comes with 2 bonus sub games, Gondor and Rohan. Those are only available in the battles of the third age box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also at the moment there is only one "mini" expansion for the second edition (with more to come), whereas the battles of the third age is a much larger expansion. Not sure how the prices compare between the two in Australia, but the Lords of Middle-earth should be considerably cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Woolley
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mb
So would it be best to go for the 2nd Edition with its expansions, or find a 1st edition copy with the expansion? What the general opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a 2nd edition upgrade kit, isn't there? I'm not sure if that's still available, but if it is (and can grab battles of the third age ) I'd suggest 1st edition as upgrading later is cheaper if enough expansions come out for 2nd edition that you decide you want to upgrade.

Then again, I just picked up the first edition in a thrift shop and I don't know all of the details of the differences between first and second, so you may want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.